VR1 Only suitable for 3 month / 3000mi oci's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I've been reading people's opinions on VR1 online and a lot of people apparently say that VR1 Conventional street oil , not the racing stuff, should be changed every 3000 miles or 3 months, does it really contain a lower level of detergents?
I'm also still confused about the Silver and Black bottles, where i get it here it's a black bottle but it's not the non-street legal racing stuff that is supposed to be changed at 500 miles.

One synthetic

One dino

That is good that not every oil is becoming a long drain one.

I am bugged sometimes when there is a hundred of the same thing and not one to be found of the one I need.

Like in Vacation, every 100 yards we pass a gas station, but when you need one- there isn't one in sight.........paraphrased

VR1 is an API SL oil only because its ZDDP levels exceed what's allowable under SM and SN.
The syn (black bottle) is Synpower with higher ZDDP levels and is dyed a pretty shade of blue while the conventional (silver bottle) is VWB with higher ZDDP levels.
There may be additional friction modifiers in this oil, as Valvoline implies but doesn't state on the label.
Use VR1 as you would any other Valvoline oil. It no more needs to be drained every three months or 3K than does any other Valvoline oil.
For the record, I ran 5K with VR1 syn 10W-30 in the Forester, but only because Valvoline had a promo some years back which made a case FAR and Subaru allows for the use of just about any grade of oil you can think of as long as it's at least an SL.

I also took advantage of the Valvoline special offer years ago. I used it on my motorcycle with 6K 10KM changes usually at least 6 months. Engine is just as clean as when it was made.

Rod

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
VR1 is an API SL oil only because its ZDDP levels exceed what's allowable under SM and SN.
The syn (black bottle) is Synpower with higher ZDDP levels and is dyed a pretty shade of blue while the conventional (silver bottle) is VWB with higher ZDDP levels.
There may be additional friction modifiers in this oil, as Valvoline implies but doesn't state on the label.
Use VR1 as you would any other Valvoline oil. It no more needs to be drained every three months or 3K than does any other Valvoline oil.

^^^ What he said.

It's good for 5K (miles) at least and 1 year, which ever comes first... It's good oil. Why pitch it when it's still working ...

Of course a lot of users are racers and gear heads, who are in there doing stuff anyway, so might as well change oil. But don't have to ...

Last edited:
The street-legal VR1 you are using has a massive TBN, 11 or more from memory. It can easily go 1 year and 6,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back