250 Rebel vs 250 V-Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have either, but i have looked at the v-star. Looks nice. Basically i think it will come down to what fits your body. How tall are you? I just got rid of my gz250 as its too small and it hurts my back to ride. I'm 5'10 and its too small for me.

I'd look for a year-old one that someone got to "learn on" and outgrew. Beware it approaching new pricing though.

I did MSF on a Nighthawk 250 and it was pretty heavy; I didn't get the point, and went right to a XV750, which was a sweet 1st ride.

I bought a Ninja 250 as it is interstate worthy. The Rebel won't reach 70 is what I am told. My Ninja looks a little like a race bike but sits like a Goldwing. They call it sport touring. If you have no interest in ever hitting the interstate the other 2 will be fine. Mine will top out 105-110 mph so plenty for interstate driving. I can get 75 mpg if I stay around 60 mph or lower. I like to cruise 75-80 and up. Then mileage goes down to 55-60 mpg. Still not bad and having fun. It floats real nice 70 - 90 mph. 55 feels like you could run next to it.

Both are fine bikes.
The V-Star will outperform the Rebel, but only becuase the Rebel is understressed by design (Honda).

Over 100,000 miles, the Rebel will normally keep going and going. There's a guy on the Honda Rebel forum with 143,000 original miles on his with no engine work other than normal required maintenance. The V-Star won't normally run that long without a top-end rebuild.

But for an entry-level bike, or a toy to cruise around on, the V-Star has more pep and pulls the hills better.

V-star, unless you are short, skinny, and never plan to exceed 50MPH. If you are REALLY tall, you will not fit on a V-star.

Having said that, I work with a dude that rides one. He's about 6', maybe 260lbs, and built like a linebacker. (He wears a size XXXXL shirt.) He looks like a bear on a tricycle, but it fits him perfectly. He has done several long rides (including a highway run from Fall River to Albany) and absolutely loves it. He got it in lieu of money a dude owed him & didn't have...he figured he'd flip it on CL, but wanted to ride it a bit to make sure it ran properly.

A couple months later, he sold his Vulcan 900.

I owned the V star for three years. They are much peppier than any of the other 250cc cruiser models out there. Biggest fault is the OEM chain is an open chain and not an O ring chain. Also, if you ride at 55mph plus, you really wish it had another gear. I put an X ring chain and changed the gearing on mine. I went up a tooth in the front and down three on the rear. I was knocking down 85mpg all day long on my commute with it. I am 6'1 and 225lbs.

You will also wear out the OEM tires fast. Got less than 2k out of mine. Replaced them with Pirelli MT66 tires and and it was night and day better.

I owned one of the old Yamaha Route 66 motorcycles. It was my second bike and ran quite well. Gas, oil, and Tires was all it ever needed. Very reliable and it looked good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back