Amazon free shipping is now $49 minimum order????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that for Prime shipping they are spot on to the expected delivery date. I can't remember the last time they were late for a prime delivery. This is over thousands of dollars of purchases. Maybe it's more related to where you live, possibly in relation to closeness to a warehouse?

Ive never found them late, and often found them early over thousands and thousands of dollars a year of stuff.

But I am noticing their definition of two-day is changing a bit...

Here is the typical spectrum of what Prime offers. Remember its after midnight, so it IS the 24th of February when I took these screen shots...

First. I could order these by noon on the 24th and get them on the 24th, for free, with prime:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-24%20at%2012.10.36%20AM_zpsxmod9n6o.png

Or, I could order by late in the day on the 24th and still get stuff by the 26th:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-24%20at%2012.10.13%20AM_zpshq1v4gkk.png

But order something on a thursday or Friday, and what often used to be delivered on Saturday or Sunday, will now have a Monday delivery date. Its too early in the week to show an example of that. Still officially two (business) day shipping I guess, but stuff was readily coming multiple times a day on saturday and sunday, which doesnt seem to be as much the case anymore. Amazon labeled vans do come around, as do plain vehicles filled with people driving packages! But I guess the stuff that doesnt come on Saturday/sunday is necessarily shipped by USPS, FEDEX or UPS, so they do not deliver on at least Sunday... I guess its what is in what warehouse and the driver type associated?

But the above level of service works well for a LOT of stuff.

So heres the example I was talking about. Took this at around 1AM on Thursday, east coast time. So notionally 2-day shipping as it typically worked for me at least, would mean delivery saturday or Sunday... But now its monday.

A vary minor nuance, but it does have an effect, especially if, say, I wanted to get something done on the weekend...

Used to be that most anything came on Saturday or Sunday.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%201.33.24%20AM_zpscgauvvvn.png

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We buy thousands of dollars of stuff from Amazon each year...

I'm always curious as to what kind of stuff people buy to justify the cost of Amazon Prime.

Costco costs $55 per year, but you can buy groceries and gasoline there; two things that people buy often.

FWIW Amazon abuses its employees. We have a distribution center about 10 miles away from me and they made the news a couple times when workers fell out and died on the job. Then there is the temp issue. I quit doing business there once I found out about that. Costco would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
We buy thousands of dollars of stuff from Amazon each year...

I'm always curious as to what kind of stuff people buy to justify the cost of Amazon Prime.

Costco costs $55 per year, but you can buy groceries and gasoline there; two things that people buy often.

I don't buy a much as JHRZ, but I have Prime...I do stream video, I buy gifts for my siblings (3000 miles away), I get a dozen free Kindle books every year, and I do buy from them. (Offhand, I plan to get a tire for my Burg from them in April.)

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW Amazon abuses its employees. We have a distribution center about 10 miles away from me and they made the news a couple times when workers fell out and died on the job. Then there is the temp issue. I quit doing business there once I found out about that. Costco would be a better choice.

What do you mean abuse? Like beat them with a stick when they get an order wrong?

I noticed this spring up over the weekend, only since I've been sick since Thursday, I thought I was hallucinating.
grin.gif

I'm not a Prime member because the few times I order I either meet the minimum or can find something I'll use to pad my order to get to the minimum. My experience has been good overall, some packages don't show up until days after the promised date, and there's the time where I ordered a box of DE razor blades and some other items and it was delivered on Easter Sunday.

But like anything else, you have to be smart about things and Amazon won't always be the place to beat. In early January, I wound up ordering a watch from Macy's that was cheaper than Amazon due to a promotional coupon I used, with free shipping *and* an extra 5% cash back bonus from Discover due to following a link from their site.

Last edited:
Last several Amazon orders that I have placed, I have used their "Other vendors" option.
Found that the prices are comparable (if not cheaper), usually with free shipping, plus do not have to pay sales tax if out of state.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Last several Amazon orders that I have placed, I have used their "Other vendors" option.
Found that the prices are comparable (if not cheaper), usually with free shipping, plus do not have to pay sales tax if out of state.

I always check the "Other Sellers on Amazon" on the right-hand side column. I pick the lower(not necessary lowest) price with shipping and tax included with higher positive feedback. Amazon isn't the lowest for many items.

Last Item I bought off Amazon was $8.39 shipped for free, from a third party seller. Amazon wanted more money for it, and wanted me to buy $35 to get free shipping.I've been finding that the other sellers listing on eBay are selling stuff for less a lot of times.

Here's some real Prime Bull right here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00KTHZEZK/ref=sr_1_4_olp?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456691889&vehicle=2007-40-2780-1336-112-53-6-8-8221-2168-8--2888--1-0&sr=1-4&ymm=2007%3Adodge%3Aram+2500&keywords=remote&condition=new

*Same product
*Same seller

If I order it on Prime, I have to wait until the 3rd for it to be "in-stock" ship.

If I buy it without Prime, it's mysteriously in-stock and ships immediately. Such a scam.

If I buy without Prime and pay for 2-day shipping, it arrives the day before the exact same product on Prime is even in-stock! Big scam!

Free 2-day shipping, but a 4-day penalty delay for using Prime?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Here's some real Prime Bull right here

Amazon can't ship you an item if the seller doesn't send them any units.

So heres the example I was talking about. Took this at around 1AM on Thursday, east coast time. So notionally 2-day shipping as it typically worked for me at least, would mean delivery saturday or Sunday... But now its monday.

A vary minor nuance, but it does have an effect, especially if, say, I wanted to get something done on the weekend...

Used to be that most anything came on Saturday or Sunday.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%201.33.24%20AM_zpscgauvvvn.png

This would sure beat running to WM or a parts store IMO.

Didnt know they used to deliver on Sundays though?

I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this, but I wanted to share something surprising that just happened to me.

I bought some 3M black silicone, that subaru basically recommends as an acceptable substitute where certain threebond products are recommended. I had a change of heart, since the work time on the 3m silicone is only 5-10 minutes and I am a slow meticulous person. So I decided to return it on amazon, and i was planning on shipping it back first class mail, and losing out maybe $2 for shipping. To my surprise, amazon says I don't need to send it back. I've returned maybe 5-10 items to amazon since I started using them years ago, and this is a first for me. Kudos to Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
I usually find better deals on ebay than Amazon. Most eBay vendors ship fast while Amazon free shipping is often slow. With the 49 dollar threshold for free shipping, l will not order from Amazon very often. I refuse to sign up for their prime service.

I agree with the above comment.

Its all part of Amazons plan to take over the world and have everyone paying for Prime.

Honestly, the "2 day shipping" has really gotten a lot worse since USPS got involved. Often i can order something on a Saturday and it doesn't show up until Thursday. An entire weekend to process and pack the item and it still takes 4 week days? Come on.

I am content with a free ship of Saturday ordering and Thursday arriving. Works fine with me.

What I've noticed more and more with Amazon is that 2nd/3rd party suppliers has our merchandise and a shipping fee applies with them. So less and less items in the past couple years, seems to be coming directly from Amazon. More and more from someone else.

The only time forum members here refuse Amazon Prime, is when the membership doesn't pay for itself. Same with places like Costco and Sam's Club, although less with Sams and Costco, due to baby boomers no longer needing to buy items in large lots. .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dareo
Its all part of Amazons plan to take over the world and have everyone paying for Prime.

Honestly, the "2 day shipping" has really gotten a lot worse since USPS got involved. Often i can order something on a Saturday and it doesn't show up until Thursday. An entire weekend to process and pack the item and it still takes 4 week days? Come on.

Here's a clue, they do that on purpose so you will upgrade to Prime. Lots of times they quote me a week for shipping and then nothing happens for 6 days. Then I get it the next day. My city has that new same day delivery thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back