Not shifting as much as one should, how long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess i will just let it go. Whatever wear takes place from the improper gear is better than an upset wife. At least she always shifts to 6th on freeways. Its just those 40-50 mph 4 lane stop light type roads that she lets it fly in 4th.

The Honda makes excellent torque down low, and 6th at 35 is like 1500+ rpm and will easily accelerate from there, even in 6th.

My golf has the shift indicators, it will tell me to go from 4th at 1750 rpm down to 5th gear at like 1400 rpm on flat ground. VW clearly doesn't think its lugging, but sometimes i do. It tells me to shift down only if i get down to like 1200 and request power.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The Honda makes excellent torque down low, and 6th at 35 is like 1500+ rpm and will easily accelerate from there, even in 6th.

Just how much torque is there really at 1500 rpm on a 4-cyl NA engine?

Quote:
My golf has the shift indicators, it will tell me to go from 4th at 1750 rpm down to 5th gear at like 1400 rpm on flat ground.

Your golf is turbocharged, isn't it? That makes a big difference when it comes to low end torque.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just how much torque is there really at 1500 rpm on a 4-cyl NA engine?

From my last rolling road, exactly 44 lbs ft. CR & VE are probably the biggest variables at the fly, gearing more so at the wheel.

Yes, the Golf is turbo and makes peak torque at 1600. Much before 1600 and its quite weak.

The accord is N/A but the higher compression and displacement help it make very good low end grunt. Most dyno runs don't apply power that low but by 2300 rpm they are around 170lb ft at the wheel.

Plus you must consider the very low amount of power needed to keep a car going at 35. There's hardly any aero drag at 35.

It's one thing to keep the car going. It's totally another to accelerate briskly. I find it hard to believe you can do the latter at 1500 rpm in 6th gear with a 4 cyl NA engine, but it's your car, so you have first hand experience.

It's one thing to keep the car going. It's totally another to accelerate briskly. I find it hard to believe you can do the latter at 1500 rpm in 6th gear with a 4 cyl NA engine, but it's your car, so you have first hand experience.

If you feel you must always be in a gear where brisk acceleration is available without a downshift, you can never drive a car efficiently. Cruising along at 1500 rpm at 35 mph is efficient. Dropping a couple gears to stay at 3500 will allow much better acceleration, but you'll take a HUGE mpg penalty by doing it.

Yeah, it's an auto, but my Jeep is happy to cruise along at 35 mph turning only 1000 rpm in 4th with the torque converter locked. The power demands at that speed are pretty minimal and it's just not a big deal to need to drop a gear to get going quickly.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
and it's just not a big deal to need to drop a gear to get going quickly.

Right, but when needed, a typical auto trans can drop that gear much faster than a driver can with a manual trans.

Anyway, I agree it all depends on one's driving patterns and the balance between performance and fuel economy that one is trying to strike.

Atleast on the flat, both my cars will accelerate at 15-1600rpm in top gear. Not briskly but good enough to roll out of town without someone behind you having a conniption.
The dual mass flywheel helps reduce driveline vibrations in the Focus and I read the Honda does weird semi unlocking of the TC in top gear at times so smooth things out.

Just for kicks i tested the golf today. Fairly flat road, 35 mph, i usually do this road in 4th every day. It didn't say to drop down to 5th, but i did anyway, and it didn't say to shift back. 4th is about 1600, 5th is 1200 or less. Since it just has to maintain speed and not gain speed it managed to do it just fine. No lugging no noises and no shift indicator. I believe the fuel economy is actually worse running that low compared to being in the sweet spot of 1600.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I guess i will just let it go. Whatever wear takes place from the improper gear is better than an upset wife. At least she always shifts to 6th on freeways. Its just those 40-50 mph 4 lane stop light type roads that she lets it fly in 4th.

My golf has the shift indicators, it will tell me to go from 4th at 1750 rpm down to 5th gear at like 1400 rpm on flat ground. VW clearly doesn't think its lugging, but sometimes i do. It tells me to shift down only if i get down to like 1200 and request power.

Here is something to ponder. Is there enough film strength in the 0w20 to provide proper protection when accelerating from 1500 RPM in that Accord? (assuming you are using what Honda is recommending)
You're worrying about your wife's driving style causing extra wear, but you might be doing the same.

Personally I think that neither driving style will cause problems, but if one is OCD about wear, why single out one style and ignore the other, where from a purely technical point of view both can cause extra wear?

I'd be in 4th gear at that speed in a typical 4-cyl engine. Heck, even in my 6-cyl car, I keep it in 4th gear at that speed, but it only has 5 forward gears.

I lied. At 35 mph in 4th, my rpms are actually close to 1500. It feels much better keeping it in 3rd gear at that speed when the rpms are around 2100.

The S2000 has no power below 2500 RPM, yes it can cruise in 6th at 35 MPH and 2000 RPM on flat road, but for quick acceleration I need to down shift to 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back