Anyone have advice for moving a cat cross-country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have no problem drugging the cat.They like it. We have this black annoying cat that is a hair ball, we drug it to shave it yearly for the summer. The other cat we have can have almost anything done to it without sedation. The horses are drugged for lots of stuff.

well you're at odds here, because your choice to drive means you're trying to save money.

So decide how much are you willing to spend for the cat? i.e. as others had said if money wasn't involved then you'd fly and cut the time.

So if that's too expensive, then what are you willing to spend?

Be glad you don't have a dog over 40 pounds because motels that accept them are hard to find. LaQuinta has a liberal pet policy if you can find one.

We travel 800 miles to FL every year and our Persian cat does fine on the trips. She usually forgoes the litter box. Consider driving the Escape with the cat, and let Dad drive the Dodge.

Feline sedatives are a decent idea, but only if dispensed by a vet.

I drove cross country with a cat in a cage in the backseat of a Beretta with no ac. It was as comfortable as I was. Don't let the cat control your life.

Wear earplugs. Seriously.

Feliway cat pheromone spray will help your cat feel more secure when he's traveling, and also help him adjust faster to his new home.

I drove from Albuquerque to Phoenix with four cats in the car. Two cried at first then settled down after an hour. The (very loud) Tonkinese started yelling before we got out of the driveway and didn't shut up the entire time.

The fourth cat is extremely gentle and frightens easily. My vet prescribed some low-dose valium for him. This cat had a contrary reaction to it. It made him unbelievably vicious, like a rabid dog. Eventually he slept it off. Later, the vet told me that tranquilizers sometimes have the opposite effect on some cats.

If you decide to tranq Bronson, do a trial run at home before the trip. She'll probably just go to sleep, but be prepared in case she goes psycho.

After that trip, I told my husband that if we ever moved again, he would have to take the cats in his car. A few years later we moved again and he drove the cats... three miles down the street.

A vet-approved, mild tranquilizer wouldn't be a bad thing. If the feline doesn't have an opposite reaction, as shiny mentioned, he'll be a lot more relaxed.

When I moved to CO from LA in 1997, my big red Maine Coon mix was 14 years old. No way I was going to put him through the stress of riding in a moving truck for 12 hours a day. (*I* hated doing it, for that matter.) So I left him with Miss Linda, and she brought him up by plane a couple of weeks later. He'd gotten sick in the meantime, so the plane trip was probably even more of a stressor, but he made it through and was glad to see me.

You can't explain to the cat that everything is going to be fine once you get where you're going. So maybe a little mild Xanax-for-cats isn't a bad idea. You're not drugging the cat for your own convenience, you're doing it to ease the stress on him. That it will reduce your stress is a nice side effect.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Priority mail flat rate box?

if-it-fits-it-ships-380731-550x413.jpg

Originally Posted By: CT8
Get a new cat.

You must not be a cat person!
shocked.gif

I have some critters I'd love to take with me to my home, basically across the country.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If it's a normal cat it will meow for a while then stop for the rest of the trip.

I did move Lucky a short distance once. He was freaked out when he knew it was time. Loud nervous meows.. Down the steps and into the car (in a cat carrier.) Two other people were with me. I'm upset when my cat gets upset. I told the guy, "Talk to him, let him hear your voice." Sure enough, he was a lot calmer the rest of the trip, looking intently at the new guy speaking. Not sure if this would work on a 3000+ mile journey, though. I'd imagine they need to potty at some point.

That's about the only thing from me keeping my status as a Fur Dad.

No wonder your cats are PO'd. Mine is too if he goes in the cat box. I Cant say I'd be that pleasant in a plastic box either. Let the cat lay in your lap, look out the window. They are fine. Maybe I got a special cat. It's easier to travel with him than the kids.

Last edited:
When I relocated from MD to TX, I drove my 4 cats. The original plan was 2 in each large carrier. It was about 2 miles and I couldn't take the crying and noise. I pulled over and opened both cage doors and they gradually exited the carriers and were silent the entire ride - 1800 miles. They each found a spot and were comfortable. So if you can let the cat out - do that.

When we moved to Texas from New York, my wife flew down on a southwest flight with the cat.

I think it is 50 dollars extra to fly the cat, we bought a cat travel bag from southwest, it needs to be an approved bag, and the cat sits under the owners feet during the flight.

It was not too bad, cat was relaxed and there was no drugs, but she was very happy to get out of that bag.

Originally Posted By: JennyHemi
He should talk to his vet about how well the cat will tolerate the trip, how to prepare and if the cat should be tranquilized.

Don't just give the cat water laced with drugs. Jesus.
She's right, put the dope in the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back