10,000 mile oil changes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousins econoline (v6) got got 10k ocis with cheapest dino he could find. Swapped out the motor at 270k i think, but because of the head gasket and nothing oil related. He is still doing it. Wouldn't surprise me if he uses ocod for that long.

My 89 trash can and 95 heep both call for 7500 ocis, not that far off for 20+ years of engineering to get oil up to 10k

Last edited:
In the 2007 BMW 550i I do 16000 km/annual oil changes. In the wife's 07 335i I do 6000km oci's, just because it's modded and the n54 is a bit harsh on oil. Both with BC 0w40 LL01 oil.

I have a friend with a VW CC 2.0L turbo book calls for 10,000 mi OCI on Castrol Edge , he ran it with castrol for 3 oci"s , then brought it to me , I pulled a sample sent it off to the lab , it was ok nothing to write home about so i got him to go 7500 on mobil 1 and the friggin oil filter is 28.00 bucks alone at my cost at the parts store!!!Ouch no wonder he came to me to teach him how to change his oil , VW charged him 150 bucks for an oil change and fluid check, he is a sales guy and lives in downtown chicago so his car sees a lot of stop and go until he gets out on the road, he is due to come over in a month or so and we will see how the the little "farfanugin"car is doing at 7500 OCI's and save himself 100 bucks on an oil change
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
the friggin oil filter is 28.00 bucks alone at my cost at the parts store!!!

The OEM Mann filter for that application is $14 on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime.

There are other places online that have it for less than $10, but you'd have to order at least $50 worth of stuff to qualify for free shipping.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/06J115403C

Thank you for all the replies
smile.gif

CT8: those links are helpful, thank you for that.

Slack tide, Branson304 & Quattro Pete for reminding me of the OLM. I will trust it now and go with that.

CharlieBauer thanks for the laugh because you're right. The road conditions and sloppy Cal trans crews are killing suspension and paint. I just had vinyl covering installed to protect the aluminum hood, front bumper, headlights, etc: with the left over gravel from pot holes caused paint chips.

To anyone I missed, forgive me and Thank You for all your wonderful input. Amazing to me that we have made oil changes a very reasonable event.

P.S. I had the oil changed at the dealer at 5K. Now "old Fashioned" thinking. They use the Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft oil 5w20 (listed on the work order receipt).

At 56 years old, Life is grand !

I drive a 2000 VW GTI 1.8L Turbo (original turbo) with 293K miles. I only change the oil around every 15k miles or so. I don't even keep track of it that much. Nowadays, I just change it once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Engine purrs like a kitten.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Its hard to break the habit, for sure. My rule of thumb is this:

5000 miles conventional
7500 miles semi-syn
10,000 miles synthetic

An OLM doesn't know what oil you put in the crankcase.

I would not give it a second thought to run 10,000 miles or 1 year with any quality syn.

Its not a good thing to have 'rules of thumb' because each family of engines is different, and oils themselves can behave differently in different engines. But its perfectly realistic to go 50-100k miles between oil changes in certain car engines with proper maintenance otherwise and proper oil selection.

Perhaps you want to be the guinea pig with the Mustang, doing UOA's and reporting back. Could help a lot of people make the same determination. Doesn't sound like a particularly hardly pushed engine, IMHO, so it may very well be a candidate for long drains.

Personally I'm closing in on 45k miles since my last oil change.

Last edited:
Pretty much every new vehicle in Oz specifies a 15,000km (9,300 mile) oil change. It's been like that for the last 15 years. Engines last just as long as they always did...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Another person with a brand new car that's never gonna change the oil.
frown.gif

10,000 miles = Never
frown.gif

yawn.

Troll.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
10K OCI's work for some people, they won't work for me. Not when it takes an hour or more to cover 20 miles during the average daily drive for my wife and myself here. If you do simple math the engine would be running almost 3 +/- times longer than someone commuting the same 20 miles with no traffic. It can be hard for some people who never lived in the NY metro area to comprehend what traffic and daily commutes can be like. It's tough for us to comprehend covering 50 miles in an hour. lol We're going into beach season which can add another 10-20 minutes to our commute.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
10K OCI's work for some people, they won't work for me. Not when it takes an hour or more to cover 20 miles during the average daily drive for my wife and myself here. If you do simple math the engine would be running almost 3 +/- times longer than someone commuting the same 20 miles with no traffic. It can be hard for some people who never lived in the NY metro area to comprehend what traffic and daily commutes can be like. It's tough for us to comprehend covering 50 miles in an hour. lol We're going into beach season which can add another 10-20 minutes to our commute.

The best advise is to just follow the IOLM as it takes into account the above scenarios plus countless others.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

The best advise is to just follow the IOLM as it takes into account the above scenarios plus countless others.

Yes if your vehicle is equipped with one. My point is blanket statements like dino oil can handle x miles, and synthetic oil can handle y might not apply to all cases.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

Yes if your vehicle is equipped with one. My point is blanket statements like dino oil can handle x miles, and synthetic oil can handle y might not apply to all cases.

+1

Personally, I'm not necessarily going to run a 10K mile OCI just because the oil will "do it". I have a small GDI-engined vehicle that I feel might be preventative maintenance in NOT running it any longer than 7500 miles...and usually closer to 6K miles. Even then, that's based on my driving habits and my perspective on potential problems more so than if the oil will have a TBN value over 1 at 9500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back