MLB baseball games are very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself a casual baseball fan and used to enjoy seeing a live game or two each baseball season. My local NY teams have built new stadiums in recent years and the costs to attend a game have skyrocketed since the new stadiums were built. Hence, l haven't attended a game in over five years.
First, the cost for NYC bridge and NYC tolls and stadium parking fees put me in the hole over $55 USD before any other costs are factored in. Nose bleed seats in the far back rows of the upper deck are nearly 30 dollars each. The ticket costs in an area with a decent view of the game are too rich for my blood. The costs for a beer, hot dog or other food and beverage items are egregiously overpriced and generally unhealthy.
I realize it is supply and demand and others willingly pay the prices, but the costs have exceeded my value threshold.

Last edited:
Dang, i payed $23 for lower level tickes at a KC royals game last week plus $12 parking. And it was buck night so dollar hotdogs and peanuts.

Agree! The Boston Red Sox are my team and when they came to Houston to play last week, the ticket prices which are normally in the 40s and 50s jumped to the 80s and 90s. I took my sons to the Friday night game which has fireworks after (dedicated to Prince) and although it was expensive it was a great time. A few days ago, I grabbed the MLB package and have been watching all of the games at home.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
I consider myself a casual baseball fan and used to enjoy seeing a live game or two each baseball season. My local NY teams have built new stadiums in recent years and the costs to attend a game have skyrocketed since the new stadiums were built. Hence, l haven't attended a game in over five years.
First, the cost for NYC bridge and NYC tolls and stadium parking fees put me in the hole over $55 USD before any other costs are factored in. Nose bleed seats in the far back rows of the upper deck are nearly 30 dollars each. The ticket costs in an area with a decent view of the game are too rich for my blood. The costs for a beer, hot dog or other food and beverage items are egregiously overpriced and generally unhealthy.
I realize it is supply and demand and others willingly pay the prices, but the costs have exceeded my value threshold.

It's big difference between in stadium to watch a live game and TV, and you are paying for the difference.

I spent ~7$ for right outfield tickets for a Rays game back home.
Parking costs more than the game itself at 10$

Worse thing ive ever done was spend 60$ for PARKING at WrestleMania this year in Dallas. The tickets were free as I know a few guys in WWE.. That was parking at Rangers Ballpark, Cowboys Stadium Parking was 100+$

This is part of why I only go to one or two MLB games per year. That and the closest team is over 4 hours away and I only go there when the Braves are playing them on a weekend.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I agree.
The NYC metro area is very expensive.....all the CORRUPTION cost us a lot.....

Yup, it is the stadiums, not the boatload of players making 33 million a year....

Growing up we went to 1 or 2 yankees games / year in the 1970s in the old stadium and when they played @ shea; the company my grandfather retired from had seats right behind home plate off to the 1st base side. On bat day, they gave away real functional bats, Louisville sluggers at that.

I now consider myself really fortunate seeing apparently those seats are in the 'thousands' now.

Last edited:
My aunt lived right behind Yankee Stadium and we could watch games from her bedroom window. Although, you couldn't see first base, you could see about 80% of the field of play. Pretty cool for a young kid like me growing up in the burbs to venture to the Bronx.

We usually get to one Yankees game a year. We take the train in from Jersey, see an afternoon game, and go eat dinner in Manhattan before heading back home. Used to buy our tickets on stubhub but don't know where we'll get them now.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I spent ~7$ for right outfield tickets for a Rays game back home.
Parking costs more than the game itself at 10$

Worse thing ive ever done was spend 60$ for PARKING at WrestleMania this year in Dallas. The tickets were free as I know a few guys in WWE.. That was parking at Rangers Ballpark, Cowboys Stadium Parking was 100+$

Why don't you park elsewhere(few miles from stadium) and take a bus ?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Agree! The Boston Red Sox are my team and when they came to Houston to play last week, the ticket prices which are normally in the 40s and 50s jumped to the 80s and 90s. I took my sons to the Friday night game which has fireworks after (dedicated to Prince) and although it was expensive it was a great time. A few days ago, I grabbed the MLB package and have been watching all of the games at home.

If you're local to the stadium, you can try waiting til the 2nd or 3rd inning, you can end up getting tickets at face value or below.

Thank George Steinbrenner
mad.gif

With all that money they spent on the stadium, the LEAST they could've done was make it a dome!

So expensive that MLB is building a stadium on Fort Bragg for the Braves/Marlins game July 3rd as a gift. It's a 1/2 mile from where I work. Last game I went to was Brewers/Astros in Miller Park several years ago.

I can get into a Nats game for $12. I park at work for free, and ride the metro which is about $5 round trip. Thats not bad, until I get hungry and thirsty. If baseball didn't involve so much down time I wouldn't eat and drink so much.

I usually go to a couple Dodger games a year, I get tickets from one of our vendors at work. The seats are normally in the $65-95 range. Parking I think was $20 or $15 if you drove a Lexus.

I got tickets to an Angel - Yankee game a few years ago at Angel Stadium. It was a great venue and parking was $8. It was funny, my friend and I and about 70% of the fans there were in Yankee blue.

I do try and go to NASCAR and IndyCar races when I can. Those tickets can be very expensive. I was lucky enough to be given tickets to Sprint Cup races at AutoClub Speedway a few years. They were in the Speedway Club section that if you look at the grandstand is under the elevated suite/broadcasting section. Face value for a Sprint Cup race was about $250-300 a seat. You have to be a member to buy them which is $1500 a seat for a 20 year membership. Those same seats for IndyCar were $80. I went to the Long Beach GP a couple weeks ago. It was $512 for 2 weekend pit/paddock credentials and 2 grandstand seats in turn 6 with the rest of Kimball Nation.

Ill normally hit up HS Baseball/Football Games, normally, more action, less [censored], people actually playing as a team and not a "one man show" and you could possibly be watching a future pro play.

Plus, as said earlier, food and drink are top $$, at a local game, atleast youre spending money on that schools team/band/cheerleading/whatever, versus a big name owner/stadium, and if I'm going to spend 5$ for a old hotdog on a stale bun, might as well help future stars,

don't get me wrong, I enjoy pro sports as much as anyone, as well as college, but for a "get out and watch a game" ill hit up a high school. Especially in texas, some of those high school stadiums are bigger than some colleges.

I havent gone in years to any "pro" sporting event, as the tickets for any are way overpriced in my opinion. And yes, $10-20 parking, depending upon the event, doesnt help either.

Apparently enough people are willing to pay to keep it lucrative, but what gets me is when the public at large has to take on bonds to pay for these new stadiums, under threat that the teams will leave...

I follow the Detroit Tigers religiously from home and I refuse to give a single dime to support the lavish lifestyles of so many players these days. Prices on everything should be adjusted, so that no (employee) pro athlete or business executive makes more than a couple million dollars per year. That 1-2M generous salary is still more than 10X what most-all Americans earn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back