Your favorite brand of salsa ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My homemade is very good. It's a recipe achieved through a good bit of trial and error. But, I do have a couple that are go-to at the store. With the proliferation of salsas on the shelf I can't say that they are the "best" but they have been reliably good for me over the years.

Pace Picante Sauce, Medium: This is the first salsa I ever tried and the medium is pretty close to the original - back when they just had ONE sauce.

Joe T. Garcia's Medium: Excellent flavor balance.

I have a very high tolerance for pepper heat, but I've found that salsas that are too hot detract from the flavors of their ingredients.

I've made myself happy with Pace Medium because it's consistent and readily available, and because I don't eat so much salsa that I would make my own or worry about what other store brands taste like. I would buy hot but it's not always on the shelf and others in the house wouldn't go for it.

I like the Wal Mart brand with I think blue corn and something. Can't find the empty jar at the moment; but it's good
smile.gif

I have been making and canning my own salsa for over 40 years. I grow my own heirloom tomatoes, onions, garlic, hot peppers, basil, and oregano - the rest of the ingredients are a secret. Put up 105 pints last year and am half way through them. It is much different from any store bought salsa and is highly acclaimed by all of my friends.

I have 470 garlic plants and 528 onion plants in the ground now, and started 48 tomato plants by seed yesterday to join the 30 pepper plants already under lights. Tis the season to grow!

Tom NJ

Great tomatoes from that part of the country. As a young kid in NJ I used to have great success growing anything I put in the ground. Here in North Texas, not so much.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Great tomatoes from that part of the country. As a young kid in NJ I used to have great success growing anything I put in the ground. Here in North Texas, not so much.

True, but I don't live in NJ anymore. I moved to the Blue Ridge mountains of southwestern Virginia last year where I have 25 acres and a view to die for. My garden is only 4000 sq ft but I did yield 900 pounds of tomatoes last year.

Tom NJ(VA)

I like many different varieties of Ms Renfro's.

http://www.renfrofoods.com/
My go to is usually the green jalapeno salsa but I like the Habanaro just as much. I always keep a jar of the Ghost pepper salsa too but shy away from it mostly. With julio's "freakin' hot" corn chips the ghost pepper salsa has an addictive neurological effect on me. It stops my thought process. It's so hot, but I can't stop eating. I can't take more than a teaspoon or so at a time.
Another of my favorites
http://www.owlcenter.com/owl-salsa-and-jellies/
A fund raiser for a Methodist children's home. A friend got me hooked on it 10 years ago. (1st one's always free) I opt for the holy cow hot version.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
We make our own.

6 fresh Roma tomatoes
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 Quarter clove garlic
1 squeezed lime
1 Half chopped onion
1 habanero
1 jalapeño
1 red chile
Cumin to taste
Cayenne powder to taste
Cilantro to taste

Zap it all in a Ninja and you're all set!

I ended up making my own and surprisingly, it turned out very well.

- Tomatos on the vine
- Yellow Onions
- Jalapeno Peppers (how do you put the ~ over the n ?)
- Cilantro
- Lime Juice (from the bottle, too lazy to squeeze it)
- Salt
- Garlic Powder (didn't have any fresh cloves)
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Lemon Pepper
- Teaspoon of Honey

My next batch I'm gonna try some Roma tomatoes and a fresh garlic clove instead of garlic powder.

Zap it all in a Ninja ?
confused2.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
We make our own.

6 fresh Roma tomatoes
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 Quarter clove garlic
1 squeezed lime
1 Half chopped onion
1 habanero
1 jalapeño
1 red chile
Cumin to taste
Cayenne powder to taste
Cilantro to taste

Zap it all in a Ninja and you're all set!

I ended up making my own and surprisingly, it turned out very well.

- Tomatos on the vine
- Yellow Onions
- Jalapeno Peppers (how do you put the ~ over the n ?)
- Cilantro
- Lime Juice (from the bottle, too lazy to squeeze it)
- Salt
- Garlic Powder (didn't have any fresh cloves)
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Lemon Pepper
- Teaspoon of Honey

My next batch I'm gonna try some Roma tomatoes and a fresh garlic clove instead of garlic powder.

Zap it all in a Ninja ?
confused2.gif
21.gif

Roma or heirloom tomatoes are the way to do it. My wife and I prefer the Roma. Fresh ingredients make all the difference!

Zap it all in a Ninja!

My favorite is Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar. Mostly corn and black beans. I like it best with their lightly salted blue corn chips.

If you have a Cardenas store nearby, their brand of salsas are delicious. Medium, or hot varieties both great stuff. The freshest salsa I have ever bought.

In the pureed salsas Pace Medium is hard to beat but a little sweet for may taste. Over the years I have started liking Pico de gallo better. Its a little harder to make, you can't just throw all the ingredients in a blender you have to dice everything by hand. You also have to cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the center and just use the outer part.

If you're in a hurry buy a couple cans of Rotel and add onion, cilantro, lime etc...

http://www.texmex.net/Rotel/main.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back