New EPA MPG sticker rules for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this was covered before. I couldn't easily find any past threads on this.

I just realized starting with 2017 model year, there are changes in the way EPA requires manufacturers to measure fuel economy. In some cases this results in a few MPG drop compared to the same car in 2016.

This was announced over a year ago, so it's not really news. I just found out today. I'm slow.

Here is more detail:
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34102&flag=1

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/23/epa-update-mpg-sticker-rule-2017-model-year-vehicles/

awesome. does this mean carmakers will make sunvisors optional for weight reduction?

It doesn't matter what number they put...I can beat it.

I can beat an 'murican diesel rating VW, GM no matter..any day of the week in my 2009 Corolla.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone in the gov't is justifying their position. Every time they change the standards, it make comparisons with previous years invalid.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Didn't they just do this a couple of years ago?

Yeah. I remember them doing it in 2008, and the document says they did it again in 2010 and 2014.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
It doesn't matter what number they put...I can beat it.

I can beat an 'murican diesel rating VW, GM no matter..any day of the week in my 2009 Corolla.

A corolla dosnt do any bit of good on hwy 63

I took a quick look, decided I didn't feel like figuring out what they did--sounds like they are better defining what load they apply to the vehicle, as it's not being tested on a track.

Regardless, I'll just go by what others are getting, real world. As long as I avoid buying first year models, I should have a rough idea what it'll get.

Originally Posted By: supton
Regardless, I'll just go by what others are getting, real world. As long as I avoid buying first year models, I should have a rough idea what it'll get.

For sure.

I posted it mainly for those who are new car shopping and look at EPA stickers, and see lower numbers than the year before. Some might think the 2017 models are bigger gas guzzlers...

They need to make the vehicle manufacturers use E10 gas for their testing and rating instead of the straight gas they use. Would also like to see ratings for both winter and non winter blend gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back