Japan taking over the motorcycle industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Are you DELIBERATELY being dense? On the off chance you're serious: a failed tensioner can cause excessive slack in the cam chain. At best, you now have valve timing from Planet X and/or an oil system full of nylon bits. At worst...the chain jumps and you lunch the engine.

The Twin Cam is an inherently-flawed engine design.

No you are dense. You have no idea how the system works or what caused the problems in the 99-06 twin cams. I have seen bikes ridden with both tensioners metal on chain for miles and the chain doesn't have slack. The oil pump was blocked and starved the engine of oil. They were a full overhaul but the chain tensioners still had pressure on the chain but it was metal to metal. Read and learn

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Are you DELIBERATELY being dense? On the off chance you're serious: a failed tensioner can cause excessive slack in the cam chain. At best, you now have valve timing from Planet X and/or an oil system full of nylon bits. At worst...the chain jumps and you lunch the engine.

Here we are, another completely inaccurate post from someone who does not own a Harley, never has and has no knowledge of certain models. Makes a blanket statement like its fact, yet completely incorrect.

1. No matter what engine, no matter if its a motorcycle, car, truck. There will be a certain percentage that fail. Once again, Consumer Reports reports, major failures are even among brands of bikes. So any type of timing failure on any brand could lead to problems. Happens all the time, lets say on timing belts. A certain percentage of engines will fail as we as humans are not perfect and the cost of producing a perfect product would be impossible for people to buy.

2. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for "an oil system to get full of nylon bits" on any late model Harley touring bike. Unlike metric bikes which share the Primary oil, Transmission oil and Engine oil all together as one.
Harley twin cams touring bikes DO NOT, this is obviously a superior design, just like a modern automobile or truck and not like an outdated metric bike.
Harley has separate engine oil, separate primary oil/fluid and separate transmission oil/fluid sumps just like any modern day automobile or truck. I think we can all agree Harley has a better system with separate sumps, I bet more costly to manufacture too.

It's quite clear from this record breaking thread, how someone can read through it and learn to do their own research and not base buying decisions based on nothing but hearsay.

Just to be absolutely clear: are you, then, claiming that the cam chains are NOT oiled by the engine oil?

No he said the system could not be full of nylon bits. Why? Because the oil from the pump goes to the filter and then to the engine. That's why if you do have a bad tensioner and you replace it then change the filter.

Here we are, another completely inaccurate post from someone who does not own a Harley, never has and has no knowledge of certain models. Makes a blanket statement like its fact, yet completely incorrect.

1. No matter what engine, no matter if its a motorcycle, car, truck. There will be a certain percentage that fail. Once again, Consumer Reports reports, major failures are even among brands of bikes. So any type of timing failure on any brand could lead to problems. Happens all the time, lets say on timing belts. A certain percentage of engines will fail as we as humans are not perfect and the cost of producing a perfect product would be impossible for people to buy.

2. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for "an oil system to get full of nylon bits" on any late model Harley touring bike. Unlike metric bikes which share the Primary oil, Transmission oil and Engine oil all together as one.
Harley twin cams touring bikes DO NOT, this is obviously a superior design, just like a modern automobile or truck and not like an outdated metric bike.
Harley has separate engine oil, separate primary oil/fluid and separate transmission oil/fluid sumps just like any modern day automobile or truck. I think we can all agree Harley has a better system with separate sumps, I bet more costly to manufacture too.

It's quite clear from this record breaking thread, how someone can read through it and learn to do their own research and not base buying decisions based on nothing but hearsay.

Owning a Harley doesn't mean you're knowledgeable about them...look at you for example...

Just to be absolutely clear: are you, then, claiming that the cam chains are NOT oiled by the engine oil?

Oops, no, I eat mud on this one for sure, I grossly misread your post and whatever others on the cam chains, yes, cam chain is lubricated by engine oil and failure could lead to nylon bits in the engine oil, I should know better first thing in the morning, this thread has been pretty intense to say the least.
I was referring to the primary chain.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Owning a Harley doesn't mean you're knowledgeable about them...look at you for example...

And you don't own one and know everything about them.

Oops, no, I eat mud on this one for sure, I grossly misread your post and whatever others on the cam chains, yes, cam chain is lubricated by engine oil and failure could lead to nylon bits in the engine oil, I should know better first thing in the morning, this thread has been pretty intense to say the least.
I was referring to the primary chain.

Different problem, though that has a fairly easy fix unless you ignore it until something grenades: switch to the old manually-adjusted design. (H-D sells it as a "Screaming Eagle" part.)

Originally Posted By: dr2152

And you don't own one and know everything about them.

It certainly appears I know more about them than you Harley owners do...

Ummm...ok....anyone can read through the 20+ pages of posts and determine if your right or wrong.

Last edited:

Ummm...ok....anyone can read through the 20+ pages of posts and determine if your right or wrong.

Apparently you can't...

I disagree. There is not an inherent issue with the design. That's as stupid as the obese person claiming their condition has nothing to do with their gluttony.

There are however too many people who own HDs and either can't afford the proper maintenance OR use cheap oil and don't change it....then cam chain issues appear....then the fools who couldn't afford to maintain their bikes in the first place add to the myth that something is wrong with the machine...and other fools who haven't owned one propagate that same nonsense as gospel.

Having ridden with lots of people on lots of different bikes over the last 46 years I can say with certainty, regardless of brand, it's the same fools that have repeated mechanical issues with their bikes over and over....from blowouts, to cam chain followers, to batteries, over and over, etc, etc, and the common reason over and over again is they really can't afford, or won't spend the money to do the proper maintenance how and when it needs to be done.

It's always funny to me that HD owners seem to whine the most about maintenance costs and BMW owners whine the least. And yet consistently it's people who have never owned a BMW or Harley (probably because they can't afford either) that will devote their pathetic lives to trying to convince others what crummy and expensive motorcycles they are....just look at the devoted pathetic [censored] in this thread,

In the words of Patrick Swazy in Road House...."Opinions vary". In my words..."especially from those who don't have any experience with what they are talking about.

Last edited:
01.gif

Well said.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
I disagree. There is not an inherent issue with the design. That's as stupid as the obese person claiming their condition has nothing to do with their gluttony.

There are however too many people who own HDs and either can't afford the proper maintenance OR use cheap oil and don't change it....then cam chain issues appear....then the fools who couldn't afford to maintain their bikes in the first place add to the myth that something is wrong with the machine...and other fools who haven't owned one propagate that same nonsense as gospel.

Having ridden with lots of people on lots of different bikes over the last 46 years I can say with certainty, regardless of brand, it's the same fools that have repeated mechanical issues with their bikes over and over....from blowouts, to cam chain followers, to batteries, over and over, etc, etc, and the common reason over and over again is they really can't afford, or won't spend the money to do the proper maintenance how and when it needs to be done.

It's always funny to me that HD owners seem to whine the most about maintenance costs and BMW owners whine the least. And yet consistently it's people who have never owned a BMW or Harley (probably because they can't afford either) that will devote their pathetic lives to trying to convince others what crummy and expensive motorcycles they are....just look at the devoted pathetic [censored] in this thread,

In the words of Patrick Swazy in Road House...."Opinions vary". In my words..."especially from those who don't have any experience with what they are talking about.

If you think there are no design flaws with Harley engines, then you're as far out in left field as the rest of the Harley guys...

I own a Harley and have defended them here. To say/imply they haven't had problems with their TC cam chain tensioners, and blaming it on cheap oil or lack of maintenance is ridiculous. I love my Harley, but I'm not jaded by the MOCO's bar and shield.

Apparently you can't...

Yup, its apparent, everyone and everythung is inferior to you and what you own, your the man.
....laughable...

Last edited:
Here is something the Harley haters hate to hear:

1. Harley outsells the company that makes their bike by 90% percent or so and the model that they bought, Harley outsells it by even more.
A. For every 10 motorcycles Yamaha sells, Harley sells 50
B. For every 10 motorcycles Kawaski sells Harley sells 50
c. For every 10 motorcycles Honda sells, Harley sells 50
D. For every 4 motorcycles Indian/Victory/Polaris COMBINED sell, Harley sells 50
E. For every 4 motorcycles BMW sells Harley sells 50
F. Now combine all other makers not mentioned here and for every 10 motorcycles ALL other brands sold together, Harley sells 50.

Bottom line, Harley sells approx 50% (or slightly more) of all motorcycles sold in the USA over 600cc then all others combined. Here is just one of many source

It drives the Harley haters and bashers crazy. But lets face it, people hate what they dont own, way more so then if the product cost more then they want to spend.
So there will always be people like grampi and jaraxel or whatever bashing something they dont own OR people in these forums.
You will ALWAYS see metric owners like that in forums. Rarely do you see Harley owners behave this way.
PLEASE! Metric owners do not take offense, I am talking a small minority, heck I owed two metrics.
ANYONE who believe their bike does not have some kind of design compromise, no matter the brand is a crack head.
EVERY product we buy has a compromise, its up to the consumer to decide which is more important.

Example, my 07 Suzuki c50 bought brand new, great bike, my first bike, loved it, took it solo from SC into the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tail of the Dragon, best trip of my life. Nothing but compliments from everyone, including Harley people, some of the nicest I met on the trip.
But I outgrew it, the 5 speed, high RPMS on the interstates and the FACT of the cheaper engine design that I knew once I got up to the 20,000 mile plus area I would start using oil. Not burning in the sense of seeing smoke, but would need to start, surely but slowly adding oil do to design compromises in the engine design and rings.

Example traded the 07 c50 for a Yamaha 08 Vstar 1300 with 4000 miles on it two years later.
GREAT BIKE, more power, more comfort, got blown around less, just more beefy all around. Loved the bike, would highly recommended to ANYONE who does not want to spend the money on a Harley touring bike.
We took this bike two up many times to the Smoky Mountains of NC (tail of the dragon etc) then expanded into the TN area of the Smokys. Vstar 1300 was an awesome bike.

But, like any bike, design compromises to get to the price point it is at. Let me stress I highly recommend this bike to anyone who wants a cruiser but not the expense of a Harley.
However still missing from the vstar was the
1. Still only 5 speeds, dont let anyone kid you, if you enjoying like we do cruising on the interstate at GPS speeds of 75 to 80 MPH you want a 6 speed.
I did greatly enhance the only 5 speed issue by putting on a different front belt pulley, this lowered RPMs close to 10% at interstate speed.
2. In general, cheaper hardware (but still acceptable at the price), even things like brakes lines, plastics etc.
3. If you like a rock solid, super great ride like your on rails handling your not going to have it, more so as the suspension starts to deteriorate around 12,000 miles already. (again, it can always be updated)

So back in 2014 while on Vacation, in the Smoky Mountains of TN, 2 states away from my home state. After a FANTASTIC 5 days cruising the Smokys of NC and TN on our vstar 1300, on the last day, in the pouring rain no less we rode our vstar 1300 to Pigeon Forge Harley in TN, traded the vstar 1300 in for our 2014 Rushmore Road King, never even rode a Harley before (never rode any bike I bought before a bought it)

Bought a rain suit while they prepped the Road King, once all ready, in the pouring rain pulled out on the new Road King and rode back to our home state of SC. It was a great experiance, scray as [censored] at first, mountain roads, pouring rain, NEW BIKE! rain stopped and sun was out as we crossed into SC.

To this day I am in awe over the ROAD King, I say it once and I will say it again (and I will ignore any of grampis retarded remarks after this post)

For those who have the means, the Road King is a great option. The bike is silky smooth, 6 speed transmission awesome, bike just hums along at a TRUE 80 MPH.
Handles like its on rails for an 750 LB bike, awesome brakes. FIT FINISH AND MATERIALS ARE FANTASTIC if that is important to you.
Quite honestly, I never thought I would own a Harley and now I understand, they deliver what you pay for. Its that simple. Period.

Does this mean, like any product its perfect? Of course not, what is? Jaraxels Suzuki, Grampis Triumph? Nope.

Bikes, cars and boats (and for some people planes) are a personal decision of what you want from a product, they all work. They all have negatives and positives.

But some people are so used to telling people what to do with their lives and what to buy and why that they start to believe themselves.
So ends this sermon ... no more replies from me :eek:) (yeah, I know I said that before)

HD builds bikes at great price points for the quality you get. Even new comer to the market Polaris Indian touring bikes cost the same and more.
Polaris Victory brand which was supposed to take on HD at a better price with more compromises has been a total failure for Polaris, in over a decade, the Victory brand only made money one year for Polaris.
Again, not that Victory is a bad bike, but its not easy building bikes with HD type features for much less money. No one else has been able to, Triumph looks like a great bike, Im a fan for the Thunderbird LT, even those being discounted, not selling, anyway, I have ZERO dealers here in SC>

Last edited:
Great and well balanced post alarmguy
thumbsup2.gif

As for those mindlessly defending their favorite brand and attacking the others, you must be either trolls or not firing on all cylinders.
If a grown person takes a personal offence when a total stranger, on an anonymous internet forum says something against the inanimate object that sits in their driveway, or the faceless corporation that made it, then there must be something wrong with their head or they enjoy internet fights and just add fuel to the fire on purpose.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
If every bike is a compromise, how about listing the negatives of your HD like you did the Suzuki and Yamaha?

Hey Pete,
I only put 8,500 miles on my Road King. It has exceeded my expectations in every way possible.
I honestly can not ask more from a bike performance wise for me and our style of riding.

I cant list any compromises yet, simply because for me and my wife, its the ultimate ride.

Bike has been flawless. When I speak of "compromises" I can only go on the assumption that some things will go wrong sooner or later if you believe the bashers in here and lets face it, no bike is perfect.
So far, the bike has needed ZERO warranty work. My 2 year warranty does expire in August, at that time I will bring it in to have the front spark plug wire replaced, as it was rubbing against the frame and is a little chaffed.
I will also have them run the vin, which they do anyway and see if it was affected to have the saddlebag latches replaced as there was a recall on it, but I assume I wasnt affected as I didnt get a notice. I do get Harley stuff in the mail so I know they have my address correct.

Negatives?
Well, this was for all bikes I owned.
1. Stock seat sucked, replaced seat. (last tow metrics I put on Mustang 2 pc vintage, didnt work for me on the Harley, put of Saddleman 2 piece ultimate)
2. Helmet buffeting at high speeds, added Harley lowers. (last two metrics I added Memphis Shades lowers, GREAT product as well as the Harley)
3. Before changing the seat out (again which I did on all my bikes) I liked the riding position of the vstar more, felt I had more room. With the Saddleman seat Im good. I did these changes, like all my bikes, in the first few weeks.

One other negative (since you got me responding) that drove me NUTS about my past two metrics are the speedometers LIE. Speedo on the vstar 1300 exaggerated the speed of the bike by almost 10%.
I cant help but wonder if the metrics I own do this because of the lack of 6th gear. THe ROad King speedo is as dead on as a good car.
When on the interstate with the vstar and speedo saying 75MPH, cars would be flying by me, I found out why when putting a GPS on, as I was only doing 68mph! When changing out the front belt pulley to one with an extra tooth, besides lowering the RPM by around 300 at interstate speeds, it also brought into line the speedo a little better. THIS IS WHY I REFER TO GPS speeds in my posts, as many metrics lie about speed. Maybe some American bikes too but I havent owned any until this Road King and the speedo is as dead on right as it can be.

I am at the point of deciding of buying an extended warranty. I can get 4 additional years with no deductible for $996. from a private vendor through a Harley dealer. Cornerstone which I believe does Suzuki extended warranties. There is no question some Harleys as well as all bikes have their unique flaws, but because there are so many Harleys out their compared to other brands, you will see more of those flaws because we do not know the percentages, only people in forums, which there will be a heck of a lot more Harley complaints because their are a heck of a lot more on the road.
I NEVER bought an extended warranty on ANYTHING in my life but being active in the forums does have me wondering if for peace of mind I should get one. With no deductible over a few years of a 4 year extended warranty I should expect that maybe I will need a repair or two, this would cut the cost of the warranty in half and god forbid a costly failure I am covered.

I think a warranty would be prudent, but have not made up my mind and honestly, I would be thinking the same thing if I owned an expensive BMW, Indian or Triumph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back