Ford recall for transmission issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just head this on the news, and did a quick search: If it was already posted please remove.

Ford is recalling nearly 202,000 pickup trucks, SUVs and cars in North America because the automatic transmissions can suddenly downshift to first gear:

The company also said Wednesday that it's recalling more than 81,000 Explorer SUVs to fix a rear suspension problem.

The transmission recall covers the 2011 and 2012 F-150 and the 2012 Expedition, Mustang and Lincoln Navigator. Ford says a software problem in a speed sensor can force the vehicles into a downshift. The problem has caused three crashes but no injuries.

Depending on how high the rpms are at the time of downshift to 1st gear, i'm thinking there could be some engine damage as well. Hopefully the software programming won't allow it...

That's what I was thinking. It could be the thing goes into 1st no matter what because the software/sensor is giving a false reading? I'm curious as to what's going on. Not good for the engine, transmission, or passengers.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04...hifts-reported/

Quote:
Ford Motor Company issued three recall notices today, but top billing goes to a sensor problem linked to the sudden downshifting (to first gear!) of certain vehicles.

That safety recall involves 202,000 2011-2012 Ford F-150, 2012 Expedition, Ford Mustang and Lincoln Navigator vehicles.

The problem stems from the output speed sensor on the vehicle’s transmission lead frame, which can go haywire and prompt a sudden downshift to first gear. Depending on the vehicle’s speed, this can lead to a lockup of the rear wheels, and a potentially dangerous skid.

Three accidents, but no injuries, are linked to the malfunction. Updates will be made to the software of the powertrain control module on recalled vehicles to prevent the downshift, and the lead frame replaced at no charge to keep customers happy and Ford-friendly.

Oops. Few lines of code missing, by the sounds of it. I could see in older/dumber transmissions, ones with but one speed sensor; but even then... Pretty sure they are supposed to take into account the sudden loss of a sensor, and not have the vehicle come to a screeching halt.

Another reason why manual is better
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
wink.gif

Not always. Depends on the model gearbox they use. The one behind the 5.0 in the Mustangs is sub-par at the best. It is the highest quality Chinesium made, especially considering according to Getrag the 5.0L V8 makes more torque than the assembly is rated for.

Too bad I can't edit the title. I guess I could have started another thread. Here's another recall from them:

The Explorer recall covers SUVs and Police Interceptor models in the U.S., Canada and Mexico from 2014 and 2015. Ford says the suspension links could fracture due to poor welds.

The company says in a statement that the problem has caused one crash and an injury.

Dealers will replace the left and right rear suspension toe links and align the rear suspension at no cost to owners.

Originally Posted By: Olas
wink.gif

I know you were half joking, but some of the modern trans/programming isn't so bad. Maybe it's old age catching up to me, but I find them less and less offensive as time goes on. Granted, it depends on the application. And as was pointed out by another poster, some manual trans options can be problematic, too, and not fun to drive either.

The ZF 8HP trans programming in wife's Q5 is quite manageable, especially in sport mode. Programming of the same trans in a BMW 3-series that I once drove was even better sorted out. I think I could definitely live with it. Most of the time, we don't even have a choice here in the US. For example, if you want a BMW wagon in the States, auto trans is your only option.

Is this the same pos transmission that's in the 07 Mustangs? I found a Ford complaint forum last night and it blew my mind!

Read about this recall this morning. It'd be super exciting for my Expedition to hit first gear while I was cruising down the road at 75mph with my trailer behind me! I suspect the odds of it happening are slim to none, but what the heck, I'll let Ford fix it when they can.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back