New 2016 Nissan Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new 2016 Rogue three weeks ago. I've put 900 miles on it already. I'll do an oil and filter change at 1500-2000 miles. The recommended oil is 0W-20 at 5000 mile intervals but the manual also states 5W-30 conventional may be used and the warranty remains in effect. What I am wondering about is the shortened interval. I had a 2004 Altima with this same 2.5L 4 cyl that recommended 7500 mile intervals with 5W-30 "mineral based oils". Now they recommend a synthetic with a shorter interval in the same motor. Are they finding out this motor is tough on oil or just on the lighter 0W-20 oil. Toyota went from 5000 mile intervals with 5W-20 to 10,000 mile intervals with 0W-20. Also the manual talks about choosing an oil based on outside temperatures. Very vague. Are they saying I can use anything between 0W-20 and 5W-30 including 5W-20 and 0W-30 and anything from full synthetic to blends to conventional? I asked the service rep and he said their $39.95 oil change and tire rotation special is with 5W-30 bulk conventional and that's about all he knew. What I'll do is use 0W-20 at 5000 mile intervals. Oh well, all opinions appreciated.

0W20 if you can find it but it really doesn't matter. 5W30 will work just fine as well.

What engine is in the Rogue? Hope it isn't one of the Mexican made HR engines... total pieces of garbage. Keep an eye on piston slap and knocking noises if it is.

I have the 16 Rogue as well and it came with 2 years of maintenance which only covers the 5w30. I didn't realize that until after the first oil change, I drove it about 3 days before draining and filling with 0w20. I bought the Rogue for the fuel efficiency, I figure the 0w20 would contribute to better MPG in some form. After 10,000 miles it doesn't get the 32mpg highway on the sticker but it gets close enough. Enjoy your new car, ours has been great!

Are you'all off-roading? Towing? Short tripping? Parked on the freeway during commutes?

Lots of things can effect oil and life expectancy. I'd change the FF and install a good filter. Prolly do 5W-30 out here as summer is coming fast and I'll be over 100*F for many days. But, if your area won't, 0W-20 might do just as well ... I'd definitely put a magnetic drain plug in it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I would do the conventional 5w30 in the summer and use a good 0w20 synthetic in the winter.

+1 5k mile oci

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I have the 16 Rogue as well and it came with 2 years of maintenance which only covers the 5w30. I didn't realize that until after the first oil change, I drove it about 3 days before draining and filling with 0w20. I bought the Rogue for the fuel efficiency, I figure the 0w20 would contribute to better MPG in some form. After 10,000 miles it doesn't get the 32mpg highway on the sticker but it gets close enough. Enjoy your new car, ours has been great!

Ok, I just gotta ask. If you changed the oil for, let's say $25, over the length of a 5k oil change, with the miniscule advantage in mpg of 200 over the 30w, wouldn't you have broken even, even on your best behavior driving? I mean 1-2 mpg improvement can't really be tracked in one oil change anyway. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back