How often should i change my coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I am running a mix of green and pink coolant in my Capri at the moment, i've always changed it every 4 years using green coolant, am i doing this too often?
My owner's manual reccomends a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant, but i run just coolant

I think running straight, undiluted coolant is supposed to be bad for some reason? Can't remember offhand but I think it's less efficient at cooling than the recommended 50/50 mix, or maybe it's harmful toward the insides of the cooling system/radiator, etc.

In that case the next time i change it will be in a about a century
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I am running a mix of green and pink coolant in my Capri at the moment, i've always changed it every 4 years using green coolant, am i doing this too often?
My owner's manual reccomends a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant, but i run just coolant

Running straight coolant is not a good idea unless you're buying a coolant which is a 50/50 mix. It can actually cause an overheating problem. Some of them also need water added to protect against freezing, contrary to what you might think. I'm not sure about mixing green and pink coolant either. I'll pass on commenting about that since I'm not sure if they were intended to be mixed. As far as the change interval, check the OM and or the maker of the coolant.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
It doesn't specify a change interval

Then contact the coolant mfg if it isn't on the jug.

60/40 is the strongest concentrate you should run around here. Maybe in Antarctica they run it stronger but never 100% concentrate.

Since its a 1975 it came with the old green coolant from the factory. It was good for a few years, maybe 4 max.

If you can drain or flush the entire system, you can run G-05 coolant which is what I would do if its available. Zerex makes it in the US and its what is in most recent Ford and Chrysler vehicles.

I thought green coolant was every 2 years. Not sure if you can just drain the radiator and refill once/year, no flushing, less work.

Anti-freeze is a component of automotive coolant.

Regular green should be replaced every two years. I have used Zerex G05 in place of green coolant for years; it has a 5 year/150k change interval and doesn't cost much more.

50/50 with distilled water is the correct ration in most instances. Certainly never use 100% coolant.

Last edited:
Straight coolant will not give you the protection you need. Drain and refill with a 50/50 mix of ONE kind of coolant. Then, once a year, rack off a gallon, and replace with a fresh gallon of 50/50, of the same kind.

It also raises the boiling point. The glycol does carry away heat, but less efficiently since the thermal conductivity is lower than for water.

And it is the corrosion inhibitors that prevent corrosion, ethylene glycol is corrosive in and of itself.

Coolant/Antifreeze is one of those thing that more concentrated is not necessarily better.
The water is what dissipates/carries the heat.
While the coolant is just lowering the water freezing temp and increasing the boiling temperature.
Plus neutralize the minerals in the water so it does not cause corrosion.

3-4 years is fine to keep in there regardless of miles. I would absolutely run a 50/50 in there. Running straight coolant can cause serious issues with your cooling system. If you want to take out the guess work you can buy premixed antifreeze which should do the trick but I would never run 100% of coolant or water, always a mix.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Running straight coolant is not a good idea unless you're buying a coolant which is a 50/50 mix. It can actually cause an overheating problem.
I saw this happen on a friend's car back in the '80s. 100% coolant made his car run 20 degrees or so hotter than a 50/50 mix and IMHO nothing is gained by using a 100% concentration (as shown below). I am also not a fan of mixing coolant types or colors.

Freezing Point (is reduced past a 70% mix):

freezept.gif

Boiling Point:

boilpt.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Not sure why it is called coolant; It is antifreeze.
once mixed with water it becomes a coolant with antifreeze and corrosion resistant properties

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back