Trying to troubleshoot a suspension noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all because of my OCD, not a severe issue but it is driving me notes. Here are the details of the sound comeing from my 2007 Escape XLS:
- It is a hard metal to metal popping sound
- Driver side front wheel seems to be the source
- The noise only happens when turning right and going over a depression/bump. If going over a raised bump or small curb, there is no noise.
- No noise going straight or turning left, ever.
- Everything looks great behind the wheel. Strut, control arm, bushings, ball joint, etc. All look great, secure and no signs of anything worn or not operating properly.

Anyone got a suggestion as to where to take a closer look?

Since it only happens when you turn, it might be a half shaft or steering linkage.

Might be bushings, but I think that a metal on metal sound would only happen if the bushing was completely rotted away, which you said looks good.

Have you taken the wheel off to inspect closer? If you haven't yet, try turning the wheel right to see if anything looks different from the passenger's side when you turn that wheel left.

It could potentially be something loose in the engine bay??

There might possibly be a loose bolt somewhere, never hurts to double check.

Last edited:
Yeah, i took the wheel off and looked at everything. I had to to get a look at the ball joint.

I do need to turn the wheel to the right while looking behind the wheel, though. I haven't done that yet but maybe it would shed some light.

With that many miles the bushings are bound to be pretty worn. If it happens when one wheel hits the depression but not the other, check the sway bar links/bushings.

When turning right you are transferring weight to the drivers side so any bushing/joint could be an issue.

Originally Posted By: LotI
With that many miles the bushings are bound to be pretty worn. If it happens when one wheel hits the depression but not the other, check the sway bar links/bushings.

When turning right you are transferring weight to the drivers side so any bushing/joint could be an issue.

The sway bar links and lower control arms including bushings have been replaced within the last 30k miles. I'm hoping it isn't those.

For noises outside the interior, I've found chassis ears to be my best friend. I spent about $200.00 and don't use it often but when I do use it and find the source of a noise, it's priceless.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
It may be the loose nut behind the wheel.

That was my first guess too. I was very disappointed when my brother said he could hear it too.

That's a pretty common occurrence when strut mounts/bearing plates go bad. Pop the hood and turn the wheel to the right then go over to the front right side and start bouncing the vehicle and listen for any noises in that area. Sometimes you'll hear noises just while turning the wheel back and forth (helpful to have someone else turning the wheel while you listen at the front). I also wouldn't overlook the engine mounts... believe it or not I've found a bad engine mount to cause similar noises at times.

I have a full blown creaking in the suspension somewhere now. Mechanic should have no problem finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back