Carbureted years of third gens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Forget about TPI. What you want is the Rochester E4ME with the electronic feedback solenoid operated power enrichment valve. A major boat anchor.
grin2.gif

Fools without a clue! my 83 Silverado with the 305 and E4ME carb runs great, with 230K original miles, great carb when properly tuned
19.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, they run fine...they just can't make any real power. The small bore means that they simply cannot breathe.

Mine was a daily driver for eight years. Wasn't raced or abused. Everything was clean, correct and functional. I used Mobil 1 5W30 every change and an oversized filter. I took good care of it. It was a good car. Very reliable. But I wasn't your typical owner, even then.

F-bodies tend to attract the boy-racer crowd. The types that drive hard, modify extensively (often in ignorance because it's their first car) and don't have the money to maintain it properly.

Your challenge will be to find one that hasn't been cut up or abused. I suspect that a clean, original example, one that's well-cared for, will be pretty expensive. There just aren't many left like that...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
That is fine. I want a third gen for the street. If I want to go fast- Chevrolet made a few Z06s! Barber is about a half day's drive from here!

No one is talking about fast, but if you have a car that can be quick in getting out of its own way, it is a much more pleasurable car to drive. But it could be worse I suppose, you could be asking about a 262 small block. If I don't sell my 86 this year, its 305 HO is getting the old heave ho in favor of a better mill.

I always liked the 305 as it got decent gas mileage and still had decent low end and good driveability. It was never a race engine, but they would go for a long time and were very dependable.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
That is fine. I want a third gen for the street. If I want to go fast- Chevrolet made a few Z06s! Barber is about a half day's drive from here!

No one is talking about fast, but if you have a car that can be quick in getting out of its own way, it is a much more pleasurable car to drive. But it could be worse I suppose, you could be asking about a 262 small block. If I don't sell my 86 this year, its 305 HO is getting the old heave ho in favor of a better mill.

(Current, NOT old iron big block) LS7 block, built with premium forged internals, ~11.0:1 compression, and nice aftermarket heads, and a FAST intake (IF you don't mind giving up the carb, and going to a stand alone ECM system/ignition), ARH LSx swap/conversion 2" primary race headers.

LOTS of power, and you lose all of that mass off of the nose with the alloy block/heads.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

(Current, NOT old iron big block) LS7 block, built with premium forged internals, ~11.0:1 compression, and nice aftermarket heads, and a FAST intake (IF you don't mind giving up the carb, and going to a stand alone ECM system/ignition), ARH LSx swap/conversion 2" primary race headers.

LOTS of power, and you lose all of that mass off of the nose with the alloy block/heads.
smile.gif

I have a 1970 370hp LT1 shortblock kicking around still. I would probably just freshen it and throw some aluminum heads and dual quads on it. I also have a good 383 kicking around too. I am not an LS engine swapper. I like to keep the upgrade subtle.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

smile.gif

I have a 1970 370hp LT1 shortblock kicking around still. I would probably just freshen it and throw some aluminum heads and dual quads on it. I also have a good 383 kicking around too. I am not an LS engine swapper. I like to keep the upgrade subtle.

Understood.
wink.gif

Came very, very close to buying a new Z-28 in the summer of 1987 from Bay Chevrolet on Military Highway in Norfolk, Va. I was on active duty then in the Navy. Wound up buying a Ford Ranger from the Ford dealer next door. Go figure. IIRC, the Z was priced at $17,xxx pretty well loaded out with a 350 TPI.

Dual quads = subtle???

8 carburetor barrels?

Did top fuel even run that back in the carb days?

It is because it is something you would have seen in the day the car was produced as far as modifications. My pops ran a performance shop from the 70's till 2011 and in the 80's and early 90's it was a rather common sight to see. And dual quads is not that radical since many factory cars back in the day did come with them. Heck, GM in the 80's even did the dual throttle body injection "crossfire".

Now an LS in a 80's G body is a motor out of time essentially. Where replacing a first gen SBC with another SBC is not as radical.

And no, Top Fuel dragsters used mechanical fuel injection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back