Purolator Air Filter Doesn't Fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against my better judgement
27.gif
I attempted to use a Purolator air filter I bought on sale before the oil filter debacle. I figured they're easy enough to check so why not. I removed the OE filter from my 08 Liberty and tried to put the Purolator in. It fits but has a slight bulge [it lays flat on a table] and doesn't lay flat in the housing because it's too big. The only way to get it in is force the clamps shut on it which I won't do. I sized it up to the OE Mann filter and see it's about 1/16th+ of an inch too big. Just enough to cause an issue. I reconfirmed the part # and it's correct. I tried another and have the same problem. I'll try a Fram tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to buy a Mann filter. What a hack!

I had the opposite problem with a Motorcraft AF (assumed to be made by Purolator), it did not fit as well as a NAPA Gold and the silicon readings dropped when I switched. I use NG AFs exclusively now. You may want to try one of those if available in your area.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Can you take a razor knife to it and trim around the foam seal a little to make it fit?

I'd have to shave it from two sides, and would prefer not to alter it. There isn't enough material to cut off one side w/o getting very close to the filter pleats, and not worth the effort for a "drop in replacement" if you know what I mean. The last thing I want to do is be sucking up dirt around the seal from the filter to the housing.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd just hook your ride up with a Mann filter. If available, Mann is what my cars get for fuel, air, cabin, and oil filters.

That means ordering one, which is probably what I'll end up doing if a Fram doesn't fit properly.

In the past I've had fitment problems with Purolator air filters. I usually buy Fram air filters, I've never issues with them. My current air filter is a hastings. Was a perfect fit.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You bought it on sale. Toss it, get the one you like and forget about it.

That is exactly what I'm going to do. I was curious if anyone else had a similar issue with Purolator air filters in this application, or any others.

FTR- This filter dates back before the problems with torn media in the oil filters.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Wix filters have fit great in anything I've ever used them in

That's a possibility, although I'll have to order it as well. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: FastLane
Wix filters have fit great in anything I've ever used them in

That's a possibility, although I'll have to order it as well. Thanks.

If you have a NAPA go get a gold, same as a Wix.

^^ All the local NAPA stores, two of them closed a few years ago. The Fram filter fits, better than the Purolator but still not right. I still have to force the clamps down to hold it. I ordered a Mann filter online, same part # as what came with it when new. Hopefully it fits.

Without specifically addressing the topic filter, I have found generally speaking that the rigid frame air filters, be they OEM or aftermarket, fit and seal well. Generally have used Fram because they are readily available (WM) and reasonably priced, or OEM.

The aftermarket filters with foam rubber type seal can be spotty when it comes to precise fit and air box seal. Some can be very difficult install, close the airbox. Looking at the application I believe this application fits in this category.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Without specifically addressing the topic filter, I have found generally speaking that the rigid frame air filters, be they OEM or aftermarket, fit and seal well. Generally have used Fram because they are readily available (WM) and reasonably priced, or OEM.

The aftermarket filters with foam rubber type seal can be spotty when it comes to precise fit and air box seal. Some can be very difficult install, close the airbox. Looking at the application I believe this application fits in this category.

Yes my application fits that category. Lining up the Purolator and Fram filters to the OE filter they are bigger. Purolator being the biggest. I'm patiently waiting for my order to arrive. I was informed the filters were out of stock, they should tell you that before you place the order, but that's another topic. They should be shipping at some point next week. Hopefully it fits the way the one I have in there fits.

Update: I was unable to get a Mann filter, so I ended up ordering a Mopar filter which fit perfectly. I'll probably search for another good deal on them and order a few to have on hand. I didn't think something as basic as an air filter would be a PITA like this was.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I didn't think something as basic as an air filter would be a PITA like this was.

Mann catalog has 2 part numbers for my E430, the wrong part number is 3/4" longer than the correct one. Amazon and Rockauto listed both parts for the car.

Last edited:
I've found dealers parts departments sell items like this and they usually fit well and cost about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back