Door won't close all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago in my wife's vehicle (2010 Equinox) it was really windy and the wind caught ahold of the door and swung it open really hard. Ever since it won't close all the way (there is a little gap where the door should close flush) and some water gets in when it rains.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be and how to fix it?

Bent the door frame or bent the side sill.Major expense to repair.Or,the hinge got stretched out and needs to be replaced.

You bent something. Take it to a body shop for an estimate. Could be an easy 5 minute repair that they do for free or $1000 repair.

OK, I'll take it to a body shop. It is probably a bent door hinge, if I had to guess, based on how it supposedly happened.

Maybe it bent the door or frame around the door check strap and the dent is keeping it from closing. Check the door and body of the problem side vs the opposite side.

It is virtually never the hinge, which is far more robust and overbuilt than the frame. Sometimes you remove the door and make adjustments. Also, finding a way to bend the door frame back is completely legit. Sometimes you can chain up the door hinge and pull from the passenger side of the car to rotate the hinge back.

You may have some adjustment on the latch striker plate.

Lastly, be ansolutely sure that this is what happened. It takes a lot of force to bend this metal.

This is an unfortunate situation

Yes. The aperture and the door shell will each bend well before the hinge will be damaged. If the door skin is popped right off the shell and the pillar looks like a bag of marbles, then you need a hinge
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back