Engine Cleaning Opinion Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW owners must be a bit lazy. Twice a year I'll rent an engine puller and out comes the V8 and the tranny so I can gain access to all the sheet metal for a good scrubbing. The engine and C-6 also get a fine cleaning. A light mist of alcohol based wax prevents corrosion.

I spray mine down and hit some obvious dirt with a soft horsehair or boar's hair brush. Nothing too deep or involved. Not the cleanest, but not dirty either.

I should put something on the plastic just for looks/kicks, and maybe the aluminum too, since it tends to grow an oxide scale just from ambient moisture...

People don't notice but engines DO get wet when you drive in the rain, especially at high speeds.

Otherwise what else would explain why my brand new Nissan ended up having a salt covered engine after I took it on a trip?

As long as you aren't flooding the ECU or fuse box you should be fine. I give my cars a good rinsing after every winter so I don't end up with a rusty a** bolts and clamps under the hood. I throw a bag over the distributor and alternator, avoid spraying the battery/electronics, making sure the engine is cool etc.

SLO_Town, you're absolutely certifiable, even by BITOG OCD standards.
wink.gif

Myself, I just do it when the engine is cool, of course, with a bit of Westley's and then a good spot free rinse. As others have indicated, it won't be the cleanest, but it won't be covered in dust, either.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
BMW owners must be a bit lazy. Twice a year I'll rent an engine puller and out comes the V8 and the tranny so I can gain access to all the sheet metal for a good scrubbing. The engine and C-6 also get a fine cleaning. A light mist of alcohol based wax prevents corrosion.

crackmeup2.gif

When ever I am changing oil or doing some maintenance on the engine I spend a bit of time wiping down any dirty/dusty areas. Over time it gets to looking pretty good under the hood. I avoid using any pressure with a hose and I don't do any spraying. I just let it trickle to rinse off if I used any degreasing product. I don't let water get near any electrical stuff. I will cover it if I am doing near those areas. like I said I do this over time whenever I am under the hood and it gets to looking pretty good eventually. Other areas that are dusty I will just wipe them down while I am in there to prevent any future buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back