Knock after new brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the rear drums and shoes on my beater. I brake cleaned everything, lubed up the areas that require it, adjusted the star screw, adjusted the hand brake. I checked the front pads and still had lots of pad left so I cleaned and lubed them. I did the reverse thing, then the easy braking for a couple miles. When I am coming to a harder stop, I can hear a faint knock that slows as the wheel slows. It's coming from the rear for sure. I removed the rear wheels, check all springs were installed correctly, and I brake cleaned everything again. Faint knock still there. No sound before the brake change, but the old shoes had no pad left. The car stops like normal, the hand brake works normal, just the knock is bugging me. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I always look at the backing plates when everything is off, sometimes they get grooves worn in them and you have to grind or replace them, A touch of grease there too.

I had this happen once and it drove me nuts trying to figure it out. The cure was to take 40 grit sandpaper and scuff the inside of the drum really well. The auto parts store did a "record" cut on my drum, leaving a threaded appearance to the drum. After I sanded the drum it was ok. While you're in there check for anything out of place.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What Silverado said +++

+2 give the drum a good scuff. This solved my issue on one of my older cars that had a similar issue

hmmm, my dd has a knocking sound too (also rear drums). Thought it was the front brakes but they are new.
thanks for the tip
smile.gif

I bought new drums for my Accent. One made a knocking sound right off, took it off and got a new one from Autozone.

Good news, last night I checked to make sure everything was centered and in place, gave it another shot of brake clean, adjusted the hand brake so that I can pull it farther up before it grabs, took it to an empty parking lot, picked up some speed in reverse and hit the brakes hard (screeched the tires) and the knock is gone. Drove the beater almost 200 miles today and everything's works normal. Once the front pads for will clean and lube the tears again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back