New spark plugs for the Frontier, questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Autolites will work, but unless you're tight on cash or going to get rid of the truck, why?

Stick to NGK or Denso, and don't worry for 100K.

I can't speak for the 4.0, but the VQ30 will develop a miss in pretty short order when using Bosch for example. Nissan built the engine around a specific sparkplug and when cross referencing to another plug, things like heat range and reach can get lost in the translation. Don't be cheap, use the right plugs and be happy for another 100K. FWIW the VQ30 doesn't care if you use copper, iridium, or platinum, as long as its an NGK. If the spark plugs are easy to reach I would suggest coppers with more frequent changes. Copper is a better conducter, fore frequent changes will lessen the chances of a seized plug, and you will take a smaller hit to the wallet with each change.

OEM to maintain optimal engine performance. Aftermarket plugs often cause misfires and DTCs. Why take a chance on something you only replace every 6 years?

I just did the plugs on my Sonata. I was able to source OEM from AAP and purchased online with a 30% off discount code.

On some cars you can get away with spark plug brands mentioned in the manual, on other cars you can't. I do not know if the Nissan Frontier is affected or not.

I would open the user's manual and find the spark plug section. Japanese cars will often say "Use Denso number #### or use NGK number ####" Substitute #### for an actual part number.

At that point, call different auto parts stores and ask for both the Denso and NGK codes.

Also, some ACDelco plugs made in the last 15 years are NGK plugs with a different label on them. If your manual can use a certain NGK part number, use a cross reference guide for ACDelco plugs.

I ended up replacing the plugs yesterday. I don't think they look to bad for having 100,200 (5 years, 9 months) miles on them.

Thanks for all the help/advice gentlemen!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back