Cracked Transmission Housing Around Cooler Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to report everything went to plan and no leaks so far. I had removed some of the JB weld around the fitting and exposed the front face of the crack so I could make sure it wasn't weeping at all. The locktite bubbled a little on the crack initially when it was idling in neutral, but after another 1/4 turn it seems to have sealed.

I was able to use a soldering iron to get the JB weld off. It actually worked great. It basically would just crumble away after it was heated.

The threaded opening is tilted down slightly and with the grease on the tap I was able to get virtually all the metal shavings so I don't think there is much of a risk of any getting inside. I cleaned the tap and packed it with fresh grease about a half dozen times

I couldn't really see any witness marks on the fitting or on the threads in the case, so I put a little bit of grease on the very end of the fitting and tried again, and I could see the contact area on the fitting and see a ring of grease inside the case. I'll keep you guys posted, but I think it's good to go.

Thanks for all the great input everyone!

Originally Posted By: whaleinafishbowl
Do any experienced Machinists have any pointers for tapping into an Aluminum transmission housing? I have a can of CRC cutting oil, any other suggestions?

That will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back