did this in a bind. I should be good right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Lancer in the sig busted a radiator the other day. No big deal, caught it before car overheated. Temps got hot but caught it. Pulled over, waited for car to cool and drove as quickly as possible, repeated and made it home.

Ordered up Denso replacement from ROCK, $60 shipped solid price. Finished up the replacement the other day and i thought i had 3 gallons of Zerex asian pink stuff. But i really only had 1.25 gallons.

So i made a judgement call because it was late at night and stores were all closed. I just mixed the prestone Global lifetime green stuff that had about 30k on it with the pink Zerex asian stuff.

Drove it and everything is good but now i'm wondering if i should go again and do full flush. It was a pain to bleed out because some odd reason my Spill-free funnel didn't have the right adapter for it. So i had to do it old school and just watch it make a mess.

This car is on DD business but honestly its getting boardline long in the tooth and its one more thing away from selling it. I was told to spend as LITTLE as possible to keep it on the road. But mixing zerex with PGL should be decent right?

Last edited:
You have four cars in your signature and you couldn't wait an extra day to get the pink stuff?

I'm sure you are ok in a pinch, but if you are keeping this car, I would flush out the mixture.

can i ask why you didnt just use the pink + water. or just water. i dont know the weather in chicago but i would think its over 32* safely to use water. imo just buy a gal of coolant and either distilled water or tap water (its a car you dont plan on keeping, nothing wrong with it)

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
can i ask why you didnt just use the pink + water. or just water. i dont know the weather in chicago but i would think its over 32* safely to use water. imo just buy a gal of coolant and either distilled water or tap water (its a car you dont plan on keeping, nothing wrong with it)

Yeah this! In a couple weeks you could have gotten the proper AF and strengthened the concentration.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke

In hindsight i could of done that. I just wanted to stop playing musical cars and back into my infiniti. So i wanted the lancer to be done with.

I really thought i had 3 full gallons of zerex asian and was going to get most of the green PGL out. But someone in the house used it. Plus i never new it was PINK, LOL.

I'm going to try out that OEM Green stuff from pepboys people keep talking about for asians cars.

Originally Posted By: JC1
You have four cars in your signature and you couldn't wait an extra day to get the pink stuff?

I'm sure you are ok in a pinch, but if you are keeping this car, I would flush out the mixture.

Yes I own 4 cars but I also have 5 drivers under the roof. This car might have one more winter left before it gets retired. The main driver is saving up money for a new car.

Flush and refill with Zerex Asian. If something kaks in your cooling system after all this you'll never forgive yourself.....
smile.gif

But seriously, if you really do plan on getting rid of it soon then leave it as is. I assume you mean Peak Global Lifetime not Prestone? I'd have no concern about mixing the two. If you want to be a purist then flush and refill a dedicated Asian fluid.

Originally Posted By: vitez
Flush and refill with Zerex Asian. If something kaks in your cooling system after all this you'll never forgive yourself.....
smile.gif

But seriously, if you really do plan on getting rid of it soon then leave it as is. I assume you mean Peak Global Lifetime not Prestone? I'd have no concern about mixing the two. If you want to be a purist then flush and refill a dedicated Asian fluid.

OP said "Prestone Global lifetime green stuff". I think OP mean to say "Prestone All Makes All Models"

Peak Global Lifetime is gold.

It was an all makes/model green stuff. I got my name branding confused. This stuff for the casual guy is just too much. So many vendors offering "universal" stuff in so many colors. They should have just made it Domestic and import coolant. Give each a certain color and be done with it. Everyone is getting too fancy. My Infiniti looks to have OEM BLUE stuff instead of green. I understand Toyota went from pink to red.

Either way, i went bought the "OEM" pepboys stuff and did a full flush last night. $25 for piece of mind, even tho i don't think its going to blow up the car in the short run.

Originally Posted By: vitez
Flush and refill with Zerex Asian.

Good advice.

I would do a very thorough flush with distilled water, then refill with the coolant of your choice.

You guys are overthinking this. Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of people have mixed like the OP did? And did so without any adverse effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back