Acura 3.7L block replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Since the tranny and the rest of the drive train is fully broken in, I would hammer on this thing right from the get go with compression braking, after full warm up of course.

^^This exactly^^

Babying a car during break-in is for the drive train, not the engine.

Since the engine was assembled at a dealership and not at an engine factory, I would change the oil & filter at 50 miles, again at 1000 miles, then go back to the regular routine.

During break in try not to drive the car at a constant speed, and do plenty of hard acceleration and engine braking.

A full throttle steep up hill freeway on ramp blast to 6000 or so rpm weekly will do wonders to keep your rings from getting coked up again.

Thought I would keep those interested updated.

Changed the initial oil fill of 5W-20 conventional Mobil (not sure which but dealer bulk oil) at 100 miles. Replaced with 5W-30 Valvoline conventional oil. Changed that out at 500 miles with Mobil 1 0W-40.

Break in consisted of making sure the car was completely warmed up. Utilizing the paddle shifters in manual mode gradually increased the RPM to 4000-4500 and stayed there for several minutes. Released the gas and allowed for engine braking at that RPM. Did several cycles of this on multiple days. Also ran the engine in S mode versus D mode which holds shifts longer and resulted in much higher RPM for longer periods of time. No abusive accelerations or runs to redline but should have achieved much higher cylinder pressures upon acceleration and deceleration. Nothing broke and no oil usage in 500 miles. Will keep everyone posted.

This is completely against what I did the first time, but that didn't work so well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back