Ford Debuts Game Changer EcoBlue Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a cool engine, too bad it's only going to be used in the Transits for now. Bleh.

Throw it in a Focus, that would be pretty nice.

I hope they used all the lessons learned with the 6.7 TD
I'd like to see a diesel in the Escape and Fusion
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What were those?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I hope they used all the
lessons learned with the 6.7 TD
What were those?

I'd venture to say fuel systems that grenade at the thought of water - that Ford refuses to warranty (at least from what I've read), despite a water separator.

Go to the Diesel Stop, find my username and re-educate yourself.

IIRC it was something in the neighborhood of .06 per thousand trucks sold.

Yea, bad for you if your the .06.

Last edited:
I just hope it has an emissions mode, where it runs extra clean for emissions tests and then runs extra power and mpg for regular driving!

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
What were those?
I'd venture to say fuel systems that grenade at the thought of water - that Ford refuses to warranty (at least from what I've read), despite a water separator.
The fuel system is the weak point or more specifically, the filter system, but I also wonder how many owners follow proper maintenance and drain the filter like they should. With that said, the WIF sensor rarely works and when it goes off, it is usually too late. I use Stanadyne and drain religiously. I am also thinking about installing a Dieselsite pre-filter which stops the flow of fuel if water is detected.

I hope they used all the
What were those?

Or when the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP fails, even with no traces of water present, and the owner has been meticulous about all maintenance. Yet they are still denied coverage, and stuck with a 10k+ bill to replace the fuel system.

At least GM seems to honor their warranty, when the same Bosch CP4.2 fails on the Duramax.

I wish they would put a small diesel in their passenger lineup. I was seriously interested in the Transit Connect to haul my kids around, but my wife and the 2.5 four cylinder didn't get along...

Having a small diesel in the connect would be perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I hope they used all the
What were those?
Or when the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP fails, even with no traces of water present, and the owner has been meticulous about all maintenance. Yet they are still denied coverage, and stuck with a 10k+ bill to replace the fuel system.
I have not seen many instances of this on the diesel forums; almost always there has been water in the system. With that said, there should not be a possibility for water to enter if the filter system was designed correctly and actually worked.

I have not seen many instances of this on the diesel forums; almost always there has been water in the system. With that said, there should not be a possibility for water to enter if the filter system was designed correctly and actually worked.

Who said anything about the internet?

People that buy a vehicle, and then join a website dedicated to their new vehicle are enthusiasts, and a small minority of the population. Most people are not enthusiasts, and just buy a vehicle that suits their needs, and use it.

The instances of no water whatsoever present in the fuel system of 6.7 Scorpion powered Fords that I'm aware of, and were still denied coverage when the Bosch CP 4.2 HPFP failed, despite a proven maintenance history, were all mentioned to me by Techs I know in the repair industry.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Who said anything about the internet? People that buy a vehicle, and then join a website dedicated to their new vehicle are enthusiasts, and a small minority of the population. Most people are not enthusiasts, and just buy a vehicle that suits their needs, and use it. The instances of no water whatsoever present in the fuel system of 6.7 Scorpion powered Fords that I'm aware of, and were still denied coverage when the Bosch CP 4.2 HPFP failed, despite a proven maintenance history, were all mentioned to me by Techs I know in the repair industry.
21.gif
There are Ford techs on those forums too. If they were denied coverage with the records that you describe they have a case for a lawsuit. I talked to the diesel shop managers at two of the major Ford dealers in my area (I know one of them personally) before I bought my truck and both of them told me that if the HPFP fails and there is no evidence of damage from a non-covered source, the pump is covered. Every dealer has its own interpretation and parts of the country are different too, I am just saying it does not seem to be that widespread of an issue (pumps failing without water in the fuel).

The Ford HPFP and the GM pump are different.
Fords Bosch pump has a low lubricity package added.

My understanding is that a threshold is set where after a certain number of failures, Bosch picks up the cost.

GM has crossed the threshold, Ford has not.

I used to have all the info and pictures of how Ford determines what was water damage and what was not.
Its pretty clear when you see it.

It seems most systems are getting hammered by folks pouring DEF down the wrong filler. That much water over whelms the system.

The other big cause seems to be Titan tanks. They have to be to be installed correctly... most are not.
When you see someone say they have a failure, check to see if they have a Titan.

I like it, but wouldn't be a buyer of one in the first year. I wonder what the up charge will be.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
It seems most systems are getting hammered by folks pouring DEF down the wrong filler. That much water over whelms the system.

This seems to be a much bigger problem than it has to be. Ford has a special kit for when this happens. It includes 8 injectors, HPP, lines, and manifolds. It specifically says for use on customer pay job only. We have had one customer need this kit done twice.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: KJSmith

This seems to be a much bigger problem than it has to be. Ford has a special kit for when this happens. It includes 8 injectors, HPP, lines, and manifolds. It specifically says for use on customer pay job only. We have had one customer need this kit done twice.

What does the kit cost for a retail customer to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back