I love my GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW GS is my daily rider and the best all around bike that I have ever owned and I've gone through over 30 bikes since I started riding a Suzuki TS-185 back in 1978! I'm a big guy and the 36" seat height fits me well.

Motorcyclist magazine recently did a story about the history of the GS and posted a video to youtube. Good stuff.......

The Beemer puts you right in the middle or the metric bikes vs the Harleys! Myself I love motorcycles ! It doesn't matter which just so they are motorcycles. Enjoy !

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did you see the Ewan McGregor "Long Way Round" documentary from his trip around the world on a GS bike? They used R1200GS, if I recall correctly.

http://longwayround.com/journeys_long-way-round.htm

I still miss my little F700GS.

Oh yeah. Ewan and Charlie actually used 2004 R1150GS's on their "long way round" tour but updated to R1200GS's on their later "long way down" ride. The first one is much better if any one wants to watch them

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Beemer puts you right in the middle or the metric bikes vs the Harleys! Myself I love motorcycles ! It doesn't matter which just so they are motorcycles. Enjoy !

^^^This; there's too much chest-thumping about which brand or class of bike is "Best."

Came here hoping to see a thread about the Lexus GS

left disappointed
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: clearanceclarenc
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

left disappointed
frown.gif

Haha I too thought Lexus

Yeah, I often visit the automotive threads leaving disappointed that they aren't about motorcycles. I feel your pain.
43.gif

left disappointed
frown.gif

Lexus makes a GS?
21.gif

I rode trail bikes for years, and then we called them adventure bikes, and I rode those too. My 21st Century ADV bikes were an '87 Honda XLV750, a '92 Yamaha XT600 and a '97 Yamaha DT230. Then I needed to get down to one road bike, and decided to do a do all bike, and needed it to do gravel. I'm short, and over tall bikes, and anyway high CG, 21'' front wheels and rear weight bias are not ideal for gravel. So I turned my R65 into a GRS (gravel road special), and have been happy with it for the last 8 years.

2016-02-01%2013.57.37_zpskanqw7v1.jpg

Originally Posted By: SR5
Very nice Silk

+1

I have several luggage/seat configurations for my GS. Here is one of them...

002-XL.jpg

left disappointed
frown.gif

As a child of the 80's I actually thought this was going to be about an old UJM Suzuki

Originally Posted By: CT8

Agree!

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I have several luggage/seat configurations for my GS.

I've made my Airhead into many bikes - I have 2 sets of wheels, one road, one for gravel, 2 rear seats/guards, 2 front guards, 2 sets of panniers, the z bars take the K bike cases, and I have a set of small top loaders that fit onto the same brackets. An S fairing and the flyscreen, I have several exhaust systems, the stock setup which is gutted, a couple of short megas, a 2 into one with a Supertrapp or another shorty. I have the stock bars, sometimes run flats, but 99% of the time it has Omar flattrack bars, they are just so good for all the riding I do. It can go from a completly stock bike to a streettracker in 30 mins. The seat was custom built for me here in NZ from an XR750 pattern.

I like the GS's, and have ridden many of them. I just haven't been able to convince myself to buy a 600+ lb bike that I would want to take offroad.

When I ride my old KTM 550 MXC, I think I'd rather have a bike much closer in weight to it, for offroad adventures, and also riding on the pavement to get to those dirt trails.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I have several luggage/seat configurations for my GS.

I've made my Airhead into many bikes - I have 2 sets of wheels, one road, one for gravel, 2 rear seats/guards, 2 front guards, 2 sets of panniers, the z bars take the K bike cases, and I have a set of small top loaders that fit onto the same brackets. An S fairing and the flyscreen, I have several exhaust systems, the stock setup which is gutted, a couple of short megas, a 2 into one with a Supertrapp or another shorty. I have the stock bars, sometimes run flats, but 99% of the time it has Omar flattrack bars, they are just so good for all the riding I do. It can go from a completly stock bike to a streettracker in 30 mins. The seat was custom built for me here in NZ from an XR750 pattern.

I love how you transform your R65 into what you want. Sometimes I think that I just need to simplify my life and do something along those lines. I have a 1977 R75 waiting for me when I retire in a few years and I am really looking forward to diving into that project.

In the mean time this local CL find followed me home a few weeks ago....
IMG_20160401_092243186-L.jpg

I know, I know. I have a motorcycle problem.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I like the GS's, and have ridden many of them. I just haven't been able to convince myself to buy a 600+ lb bike that I would want to take offroad.

When I ride my old KTM 550 MXC, I think I'd rather have a bike much closer in weight to it, for offroad adventures, and also riding on the pavement to get to those dirt trails.

I agree. They call them adventure bikes and I know guys that seriously off-road these beasts but I use mine primarily on pavement with only occasional dirt excursions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back