CASTROL MAGNATEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I was at a dinner with one of the chemists on the Magnatec development, he did say that the test regime was

Mobil 1 - flushing oil - magnatec - flushing oil - Mobil 1

He stated that the "effect" of magnatec survived through the flushing oil and into the backstop M1 test.

Really?

So in a way it its like mos2 in that their unicorn hoof dust works it's way into the metal itself creating a tribo film which eliminates or lessens metal contact and even after oil change this plating effect remains for a time until it's been worn off.

Thanks Shannow. Great tidbit of info

Interesting thread. I've been looking at the Magnatec oils for a little while now and I think it would be perfect for the Firebird, since it sits all winter and for other extended periods of time without being driven. They have it on sale at AAP right now with a filter for $23.99 (5 quarts). It comes with a Purolator, but I spoke to an AAP rep who said you could switch it out for another brand of the same (or lesser) value.
thumbsup2.gif
I'll probably get some shortly for the bird.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder if they plan on offering Magnatec in 10W40 (like the GTX Synblend it's replacing)?

I think they are listing it but I haven't seen it anywhere yet. The 10w40 version is also supposedly not even a blend. The 10w40 spec is dying while Castrol lists it I bet it will be rare in the wild. Even Defy 10w40 is disappearing and you'd think it would be one of the better sellers for 10w40.

I just got 5 quarts of it for the Firebird today. The 0W-20 and 5W-20 are full synthetic, 5W-30 and 10W-30 were both synthetic blends. No thicker grades to be found.

I still find it interesting that the blends and synthetics are priced the same.

Last edited:
Bump !!

Good Magnatec thread !!!

I can't believe I missed it when searching.

I would love to hear more about Titan in Edge, like how it performs in general terms with respect to things like ZDDP, or performance improvement compared to a test Edge without Ti. I assume Titan is the Titanium additive. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

Edge was launched in 2006 and was always positioned above Magnatec in terms of price and performance/spec coverage.

Australia now has a good coverage of visc grades and specification coverage with the new Edge oils with Titan

BTW Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 a semi-synthetic SN & A3/B4 oil, must be one of the best selling oils in Australia, it's everywhere.

And thanks for the new Magnatec in Australia, a full synthetic 5W-30 that's also SN & A3/B4.

I do feel Castrol look after us nicely in Oz, thanks.

I am new to the board, and I have a question about the Semi-Synthetic 10W-30 Magnatec sold in the U.S. as Magnatec GTX.

If used in a turbo car (my 1998 Volvo V70R) is there any info or opinion on the clingy esters affecting the turbo bearings in a negative way? Lots of Volvo guys tell you only full synthetic in a turbo engine, but my wagon has 230,000 miles and has only had regular oil, serviced every 3000-4000 miles. I have not yet done an oil sample, but it seems to run great with plain old Castrol GTX. Do the clingy esters coke or gum up at turbo temps or shear too much at high turbo rpm?

Would like to try Magnatec, but Castrol website recommends only Edge or plain dino GTX in 5-30 for my car. I was wondering why Magnatec is not suggested as an option.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi PDX_BD,

Welcome !!

For turbo cars, I do prefer a full synthetic like Edge.

But, if Castrol say both mineral GTX and synthetic Edge is suitable for your car, then I can't see why the middle ground Magnatec shouldn't work too.

I don't think Castrol use esters anymore, but they still have an additive that clings to metal as described, and this would definitely be a well tested product. So I wouldn't be worried.

Some good reports of the Magnatec semi-synthetic 5W-30 being used in Ford twin-turbo EcoBoost engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330

Sorry, I don't know much about Volvo's though.

Last edited:
As noted before I got a great deal on the 5w-20 flavor and used it on 5 cars in the family. Three are mine. I used only the 5w-20 and only Fram Ultras and Mobil 1 filters.
I have no issue running it to the OLM suggestion of 10K and I dump the oil and filter.

Castrol seems to polarize many with several bashers around the net. I think it is a fine basic oil and as noted 10K is fine in my 4cyls and one newer V8 F350 truck.

I do not think it's a special magical brew however. PYB 5w-20 in the same car seemed smoother to me and that was a side by side comparison of the same year cars and around the same mileage.
Very subjective I know and if the oil was on sale I'd use it with no issues. But when it goes over $19 a jug it starts getting into the premium category for which I'd just get a premium brand. My 2 cents.

Thanks guys...

Silk, that link appears to be for availability in AU/NZ. Castrol does not seem to have as many flavors for us to choose from in the U.S.

Magnatec 10-40 is not available in the U.S. as far as I can tell. 10-30 is the thickest we get here. Also I have never seen that 15-40 "Advanced Engine" in the red bottle here.

Edge in 10-40 or 0-40 is available in the U.S., but no magic Magnatec startup protection molecules.

10-30 is listed as an option in my Volvo manual for the '98 V70R, so I guess I will give that a try in the Magnatec, as that is all we have here. I guess I will find out how it does in a higher pressure turbo engine. They only recommend 40W for very hot weather or prolonged loaded/towing driving.

Last edited:
I'm running an HDEO through my 850 on a short change to clean it up a bit, then I'm going to use our Mitsubishi DPF oil, which is 5w40 Magnatec diesel.

Originally Posted By: wemay

The 5W30 Blend may cost as much to make as the 5W20 Syn. 5W20 might be low end GIII. The 5W30 may be high end GIII cut with 30% GII to bring the cost in line while still getting the certs they are after. It's even possible the 5W30 is all GIII and they don't want to cannibalize Edge sales in the hiperformance market where most cars spec 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
It's even possible the 5W30 is all GIII and they don't want to cannibalize Edge sales in the hiperformance market where most cars spec 5W30.

Could be, UOA's here strongly suggest the Magnatec 5w30 is no slouch of a "blend".

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: wemay

The 5W30 Blend may cost as much to make as the 5W20 Syn. 5W20 might be low end GIII. The 5W30 may be high end GIII cut with 30% GII to bring the cost in line while still getting the certs they are after. It's even possible the 5W30 is all GIII and they don't want to cannibalize Edge sales in the hiperformance market where most cars spec 5W30.

This is always a possibility. ...now if we could just see a 5w20 magnatec uoa

Been wanting to try Magnatec 5w30 for my truck but this oil hasn't been in stock at my local Walmart for at least a few weeks. They keep plenty of 5w20 on the shelf but 5w30 is scarce. There is shelf space for it and the price show it in rollback. Anybody else having trouble finding it at Walmart?

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Been wanting to try Magnatec 5w30 for my truck but this oil hasn't been in stock at my local Walmart for at least a few weeks. They keep plenty of 5w20 on the shelf but 5w30 is scarce. There is shelf space for it and the price show it in rollback. Anybody else having trouble finding it at Walmart?

Yes I have always gotten what I needed but for Magnatec there is seldom more than one or two jugs still left.

Try site to store it's free and should ensure you get what you want.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12

Some time during the last two weeks, my local Walmart has removed the Magnatec 5W-30 from the shelves, and it has been replaced with the Motorcraft 5W-30 five quart jugs that they use to stock, but has been missing in action for a long time. They still stock plenty of the Magnatec 5W-20. At $19.88 shelf price for the 5W-30 blend, I don't figure they were selling much of it when right above it Edge seems to stay on rollback for $22.xx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back