2011 Jetta TDI -Mobil1 ESP - Time to try new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ruleof72
Originally Posted By: deven
There is something wrong with that engine. It's one of the worst UOAs I have seen. The other UOAs I have seen that lookS like this one has had inherent driveline engine issues. Anytime iron reaches close to or passes 100 ppm has always shown some issue with the engine even in a newer engine breaking in

OK, now you guys have got me worried...seriously. The car is right at 5 years old and hasn't had any problems (at least that I can tell). I have 6 days left on the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty but I don't think VW would do anything based on no symptoms other than a UOA. What do you suggest I do at his point? Should I shorten the interval and keep my fingers crossed or should I take whatever buyout is offered by VW as part of the emissions scandal thing and consider a different car?

Take it to an Indy VDub mechanic, explain the situation and the warranty being up and see if they find anything. If they do take it to the dealer for warranty repair and while there listen to their offers for the buyout.

If you are truly worried, purchase a heavily discounted, actual VW extended warranty from a VW dealer online. However, those engines are reliable and long lived, and they are not known for head gasket issues.

VW has vowed to support these cars, and to remedy the emissions issue. That alone has great value. As emissions equipment will probably be upgraded with new and better stuff.

Plus, some owners have $5000 coming their way from VW.

Go with 5W-40 TDT. You will like the results, I promise.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update this thread with the latest results from the oil analysis. Basically, things seem to be getting worse, not better. This OCI was right at 7k miles and iron came in at 115 ppm compared to 92 ppm for a 10k OCI last time. Everything else is OK except for Silicon which is elevated a little. They suggest checking for leaks in the air intake system.

I'm wondering what my next steps should be. It looks like maybe changing to the Mobil 1 5w-40 might be a reasonable option. The car is 5 years old and only has 44k on the odometer. I've had no other problems with the car (except for a failed fuel tank lift pump at 5k miles) and I really like the car. I don't expect that my annual miles will be much over 10k or so and I plan on keeping the car another 3-5 years if possible. Most of my miles are city/commuting with a couple of road trips each year.

Any other suggestions on next steps, if any? I don't want to do anything rash (like sell the car) but if there are some other things I can do to mitigate the Iron issue I'm open to suggestions.

Just wanted to update this thread with the latest results from the oil analysis. Basically, things seem to be getting worse, not better. This OCI was right at 7k miles and iron came in at 115 ppm compared to 92 ppm for a 10k OCI last time. Everything else is OK except for Silicon which is elevated a little. They suggest checking for leaks in the air intake system.

I'm wondering what my next steps should be. It looks like maybe changing to the Mobil 1 5w-40 might be a reasonable option. The car is 5 years old and only has 44k on the odometer. I've had no other problems with the car (except for a failed fuel tank lift pump at 5k miles) and I really like the car. I don't expect that my annual miles will be much over 10k or so and I plan on keeping the car another 3-5 years if possible. Most of my miles are city/commuting with a couple of road trips each year.

Any other suggestions on next steps, if any? I don't want to do anything rash (like sell the car) but if there are some other things I can do to mitigate the Iron issue I'm open to suggestions.

Anything over 100ppm of Fe in 10K for a TDI is not good. Changing brand or oil type probably will not help, although I would use an Xw40 rather than an Xw30. Using an HDEO or Zinc additive might reduce the life of the DPF, so I would try a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec to see if that helps. Ceratec contains Moly and a hexagonal form of Boron Nitride and is probably about the best anti wear additive available.

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000017/...voiladb=web.nsf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
One known issue with these engines, and it's not common at all, is the oil pump hexagonal drive shaft. This shaft is known to wear which will present steel/iron from both the shaft and driven gear.

As the wear continues the ultimate result will be no oil pressure. this is something for the OP to consider and to keep an eye on.

I thought those oil pumps were only on the 2009 models.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
5w30 is an approved oil. But if 5w40 is available, vw says to use that...

There are no 507.00 5w40s, only 5w30 and 0w30.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, if you have a diesel particulate filter on your car, that Mobil Turbo Diesel stuff isnt going to be good for that filter and who knows if that would create warranty issues. Im not saying its a bad oil, but its not for cars with a DPF. There are other oils in the 5w-40 weight that are fine to use with a DPF. Pentosin makes one, Motul makes X clean in that weight also. I think there are a couple others also but I would go with those first because they wont screw up a DPF.
As a tip to look for, oils that have the BMW LL04 approval are for use with DPF. I'm not a VW guy so I dont know how these compare with your VW spec'd oil

Image URL was bad. Here's the oil report again:

26008059544_24c46a2027_z.jpg
[/url]

Terrible wear metal figures, probably due to the ultra thin oil. Try using a 5w40 full synthetic.

If you want to go thin, use Liqui Moly Ceratec every oil change AND keep the OCI short, as the oil in use lacks detergents.

Check out the TDI forum even though I've noticed it is not nearly as active since the Volkswagen cheating scandal . Many of the diesel engines do you have higher wear metals but they also have high miles on the car.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Check out the TDI forum even though I've noticed it is not nearly as active since the Volkswagen cheating scandal . Many of the diesel engines do you have higher wear metals but they also have high miles on the car.

They joined the oil drippers and burners club!

The TDI forum is very active with regard to the comments about the scandal but I noticed the used oil analysis forum is a lot less active- fewer people posting their oil results since the scandal and less opinions on UOA's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
The TDI forum is very active with regard to the comments about the scandal but I noticed the used oil analysis forum is a lot less active- fewer people posting their oil results since the scandal and less opinions on UOA's.

They are busy either crying about Brexit, or watching the Euro foottie games.

Bye bye Cameroon and those twassacks in Brussels. They really forked up over Bosnia (1 million DOA), the Greek bank loans (Noone with a calculator wanted the Greeks in the Euro) and the US inspired disaster in the middle East (Not enough good camps in Turkey).
Sell any shares in the English Channel tunnel folks, as it might have to close and buy stock in marine patrol craft or even airship companies.

PS: God save the Queen, send her victorious happy and independent.
Free at last, free at last, than your God we are free at last!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Bye bye Cameroon and those twassacks in Brussels. They really forked up over Bosnia (1 million DOA), the Greek bank loans (Noone with a calculator wanted the Greeks in the Euro) and the US inspired disaster in the middle East (Not enough good camps in Turkey).
Sell any shares in the English Channel tunnel folks, as it might have to close and buy stock in marine patrol craft or even airship companies.

...... am paying less for pounds
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

...... am paying less for pounds
thumbsup2.gif

Thats not going to last for very long. Looks like there will be more malaysians studying in the uk now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back