2AZ-FE Timing Chain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Rav4 with 2AZ-FE Timing Chain R&R

I am in the process of replacing the timing chain, sprockets etc.

I bought a factory service manual to help guide me step by step. Lined up the intake and exhaust cams with the timing marks on the cam bearing caps, crankshaft pulley groove positioned at 12 o'clock to ensure piston is TDC. I then put the timing chain making sure the marked chain links are lined up with the intake/exhaust sprockets and the crankshaft timing sprocket. Installed chain guides, timing cover then finally the tensioner (inserted with plunger fully compressed with hook on tensioner engaged).

Manual states to rotate crankshaft CCW (did not mention how many revolutions, so I rotated it just enough to create some slack so that the chain tensioner would insert in the timing cover fully.) then unhook the tensioner plunger. Timing chain felt snug after releasing the retaining hook.

Next step is to check timing marks on the crank pulley groove and intake/exhaust sprockets by rotating the crankshaft CW and to line up the crank pulley groove with timing mark 0 on the timing cover while the cam sprockets line up with the timing marks on the camshaft bearing cap. If all three timing marks don't match up, rotate CW until timing marks line up. This is where I am confused.

You see, I have checked the timing marks on all three and they all line up except the marked links on the chain. The manual does not indicate that the colored chain links must also be at the same position as the cam sprocket and bearing cap timing indicator.

Can anyone confirm if it is a must that the colored links also line up? Or is it unecessary as long as the crank pulley is at 0 while the cam sprocket grooves are lined up with the cam bearing cap markings all at the same time (as indicated by the manual).

Thank you all in advance.

If all the cam & crank marks line up...Your good.

It's always 2 turns of the Crank equals 1 turn of the Camshaft/s on 4 cycle engines, The same "links" will not end up in the same location, Their just guides for initial set-up.

Also, you can just easily reach down with a long flathead and flick the tensioner loose.

Clinebarger, thank you.

KingCake, that's exactly what I did. Thank you.

Just curious... How many miles were on the engine when the timing chain wore out ? -Thks

rkpatt,

This is actually being done on a fully rebuilt engine that was purchased. I am just installing the timing components which was not included.

But to answer your question, the original timing chain was out of spec with about 160K miles on it. I am assuming that everything is original. The vehicle is not mine.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
worn out 5/20 motor oil causes this.

Like perhaps from 10,000 mile OCI combined with severe service?
Plus perhaps an inefficient air filter for icing on the cupcake of neglect?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back