Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Dang, I wasn't finished.

IMO, we are overdue for a recession. If the dems win, it could be much like 07. If not, who knows. Right now I have 28% cash, I'm thinking I should be 50% or more by this time next year.

back in 07, there were individuals who predicted the crash and had went to all cash. I didn't believe so. I thought if O got elected, I would sell out, but for some reason I didn't. I lost about 48% of my portfolio. Over the next few years I was able to recover some of that, maybe 14%.

In 012 our financial situation improved. My wife opened an IRA and a 401K. We put all our spare cash in her 401K through payroll deduction, and I funded her IRA from my IRA using my MRD. Ever year I pulled $6500 from my IRA and deposited it in her IRA. She retired last year. This year I closed my IRA and and her 401K and rolled her 401k into her IRA. Next year she will be doing MRD withdrawals. I'm setting up her IRA for what may come and doing very little trading. You can be sure that I will be watching the situation very closely this time.

Quote:
If the dems win, it could be much like 07. If not, who knows. Right now I have 28% cash, I'm thinking I should be 50% or more by this time next year.

You know that stocks have historically performed better during Democratic administrations, right? Democratic returns beat Republican returns. In any case, cash is losing its value as we argue. Invest in a balanced portfolio of broad spectrum mutual funds (including bond funds) and you'll do as good as can be done, and don't try to predict the unpredictable.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
If the dems win, it could be much like 07. If not, who knows. Right now I have 28% cash, I'm thinking I should be 50% or more by this time next year.

You know that stocks have historically performed better during Democratic administrations, right? Democratic returns beat Republican returns. In any case, cash is losing its value as we argue. Invest in a balanced portfolio of broad spectrum mutual funds (including bond funds) and you'll do as good as can be done, and don't try to predict the unpredictable.

Not really. There is no way to know what would have happened if O had lost.

Quote:
The argument can be made that you can’t just look at the returns of a President while he was in office as it often takes time for a President’s policies to take effect and for the policies of the prior Administration to wear off. Just as Democrats argue that you can’t pin the job losses of Obama’s first few months in office on him, Republicans contend that the market was so far down when Obama took office that all it could do was go up. No method, no matter how consistently applied is perfect, so there will always be detractors, but the method we used was consistent for each President, so it’s hard to argue that it favored any one specific party.

That's a decent article. Everyone should read it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I bought 1000 shares of SWKS yesterday.

Not sure why you would buy that when it's clearly overbought and is rolling over. Let alone 1000 shares.

Why would you say it is clearly overbought? RSI in the low 40's. Low forward P/E. Do you actually know anything about this company and their business?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Ric Edelman ?

What are the yearly fees ?
I believe it's very little. Then again, I'm not familiar with charges on other accts.

SWKS slipping a little.

Bought a little VZ this morning. I've traded VZ in the past, should have kept it.
confused2.gif

I got VZ and T. Great dividends and should be in your bag of dividend stocks for the long run. Some older folks like bonds, but they have little returns. $20K last year combined just from VZ and T.

I got VZ and T. Great dividends and should be in your bag of dividend stocks for the long run. Some older folks like bonds, but they have little returns. $20K last year combined just from VZ and T.

T is paying ~5% . Makes it attractive.

SWKS slipping a little.

Bought a little VZ this morning. I've traded VZ in the past, should have kept it.
confused2.gif

Slipping quite a bit. Much negative Apple news and earth quake fallout started from the day I posted, it always hits SWKS harder. I sideways out of my trade and waited to see what happened with AAPL.

I bought some SWKS after hours yesterday at $67.50, the lowest AH trade so far. This is not the first time I've seen SWKS drop after Apple reports, only to come back and go up another 4-5% when they beat on earnings. The market does not consider how diversified SWKS is. If there is a global decline in cell phone sales then SWKS is affected. But when it comes to moving market share they are indifferent. Apple saw a big decline in sales in China, probably because of Xiaomi. If Xiaomi sold more phones and Apple sold less, SWKS breaks even. They may even do better because of better margins on Non Apple products.

Just sold the shares I bought yesterday evening for $70.40. And that was too soon, but I trade around a core position so I still have exposure.

Very nice!
grin2.gif

I have $1234.03 for April, (I think they are all in now).

For March, 1011.53 .

I have 3 REIT's that pay monthy and 5 stocks that pay quarterly. I think I have a quarterly div every month. Because of overlap, the monthly div's will be somewhat variable. I haven't added everything up but it should be about $16k/year.

This is in my wife's IRA. She will be doing MRD's starting next year so I've pretty much stopped trading now and am doing buy and hold.

$18,000 last year from Utilities .

I got over 27,000 shares of company stock that I also use for dividends...

I take it that your company has a stock purchase plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back