Mitsubishi admits falsifying fuel economy tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, hard to think petrol for a ute, nearly all are diesel here. The 4D56 was made from the G series engines, balance shafts and stuff, started life as the 4D55 which was 2.3L first one of those I saw had liner creep, and so the 2.5 didn't have liners. Haven't seen any Ford/Mitsubishi pairing here, but on a local site we are talking about a Nissan Wingroad badged as a Mazda Familia, and then there are Mazda Bongos badged as Nissan Vanettes....so Mitsubishi making cars to badge as Nissan is no surprise.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Japanese have a great way of doing things. They will cheat, lie, scam and when caught, they will act all humble, bow down a few times and step down from the position. Rinse and repeat with the next guy in line.

Who said he is falling on the sword? he said he "feels" responsible, doesnt say he is resigning!

Amazing how the "axis" car companies outright cheat? VW/Audi, Honda on airbag coverup and now Mitsu.

What's amazing is the number of people coming to defend these people for committing the same type of thing as the CEOs from the West, where in the VW scandal, most wanted to hang the CEO by his family jewels.

The difference here is that the CEOs from the west act like arrogant jerks and the Japanese CEOs start kissing the pavement. But their actions are the same and I'm not defending any group in particular.

But like I said, the Japanese have a great way of doing it, because people actually believe it and even come to their defense, as clearly evidenced in this thread. I'm even called racist for pinting this out.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Let's see if this becomes as big a scandal as the VW TDI emissions proportional to vehicles sold.

The "other" Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi Fuso commercial cabover delivery truck company is currently facing a class action lawsuit over their "Bluetec" diesel exhaust system not properly working. Those things are an ongoing nightmare. They're actually mainly owned by Daimler and are basically separate from the car company...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would actually buy a Mitsubishi car when there are so many better choices out there (meaning pretty much any other brand of car)

Pretty much this^^

But I believe they are pretty cheap and basically reliable if not much fun to operate. They also have the 5-year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper and 100,000 powertrain warranties, IIRC...

There's been talk of them exiting the U.S. market for a while now...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
As for Mitsubishi, well as soon as Chrysler and Hyundai severed ties with them, things have been going downhill and their product line is stagnant - they also shuttered the DSM plant in Illinois.

I don't think the Mitsubishi conglomerate will give them a 3rd bailout - I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai/Geely/Cheery or Fiat buys them out. More so the Chinese because Mitsubishi Motors has some IP, mature technology and manufacturing presence in Japan and Indonesia.

My understanding is that Mitsubishi is basically a bank and heavy equipment, as well as a HVAC, manufacturer (they make tanks/aircraft, etc. for the Japanese Self Defense Forces. They produced the Japanese version of the F-15(J) Eagle). I've been told their U.S. operation is a division loss leader and tax write off for the corporation as a whole. IDK...

What's amazing is the number of people coming to defend these people for committing the same type of thing as the CEOs from the West, where in the VW scandal, most wanted to hang the CEO by his family jewels.

The difference here is that the CEOs from the west act like arrogant jerks and the Japanese CEOs start kissing the pavement. But their actions are the same and I'm not defending any group in particular.

But like I said, the Japanese have a great way of doing it, because people actually believe it and even come to their defense, as clearly evidenced in this thread. I'm even called racist for pinting this out.

You poor thing. Let me get a violin.

You know full well what I meant when I said your post was racially insulting. I DID NOT say that you were a racist (nice try at sympathy). Another post was deleted that was even more directly focused on race than yours. Oddly, even my own post pointing out the racial direction some of the posts had taken, was deleted.

But seriously, even this post of yours smacks of attacking a culture instead of the issue at hand..."Japanese have a great way of doing things. They will cheat, lie, scam and when caught, they will act all humble, bow down a few times and step down from the position. Rinse and repeat with the next guy in line".

So is it all Japanese you seem to feel this way about? You feel the Japanese people cheat, lie, and scam?? Is this something you feel the Japanese are prone to?

What a bunch of hogwash. People of all cultures/nations do things that aren't always honest. The Japanese as a whole are much more honest and pride themselves on a job well done. And THAT actually IS part of the culture of Japan.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

You poor thing. Let me get a violin.

You know full well what I meant when I said your post was racially insulting. I DID NOT say that you were a racist (nice try at sympathy). Another post was deleted that was even more directly focused on race than yours. Oddly, even my own post pointing out the racial direction some of the posts had taken, was deleted.

But seriously, even this post of yours smacks of attacking a culture instead of the issue at hand..."Japanese have a great way of doing things. They will cheat, lie, scam and when caught, they will act all humble, bow down a few times and step down from the position. Rinse and repeat with the next guy in line".

So is it all Japanese you seem to feel this way about? You feel the Japanese people cheat, lie, and scam?? Is this something you feel the Japanese are prone to?

What a bunch of hogwash. People of all cultures/nations do things that aren't always honest. The Japanese as a whole are much more honest and pride themselves on a job well done. And THAT actually IS part of the culture of Japan.

I agree that the post was over the line and painted the Japanese with a wide brush. There are some Japanese CEO's that do take honor seriously. That's why there are no more Isuzu cabover trucks re-badged as GMC/Chevy. Because they thought the execs at GM were being duplicitous and seeking to make an alliance with another now defunct cabover truck company while Isuzu was was pushing to build trucks in the U.S. I believe this ultimately cost Isuzu some income but they decided that they would never deal with a company showing bad faith...

I thought there was another thread for this, but anyhow:

Mitsubishi's apology for it.

However, these links ( link 1 and link 2 ) indicate that Mitsu has been lying since 1991. On the kei cars that is. I don't think has any impact outside of Japan.

I think most of the fun Mitsu's left when the Eclipse became an over bloated whale aimed at young women. Instead of an available turbocharged AWD model, it became a heavy available V6 powered FWD poser.

Sure, there was the Evo, but how attainable was that for most.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would actually buy a Mitsubishi car when there are so many better choices out there (meaning pretty much any other brand of car)

Pretty much this^^

But I believe they are pretty cheap and basically reliable if not much fun to operate. They also have the 5-year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper and 100,000 powertrain warranties, IIRC...

There's been talk of them exiting the U.S. market for a while now...

CEO stepping down?

Quote:
Mitsubishi Motors Corp.'s top two executives are likely to resign over the Japanese automaker's manipulation of fuel economy data, Japanese media reported today. The scandal has halved the company's market value in a week.

The worst car brand out there IMHO with Suzuki and recent Saturn gone.

They should just sell Lancer Evolutions. Nothing else. Cut the price down a bit too please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back