6-7 passenger vehicles reviews via uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took may family to Washington dc for April kids vacation(drove nh>dc) and first found UberXl works incredibly well for family of 5 with decent size stroller. I buried car in garage for $100/week and decided to let someone else deal with driving and parking.

UberXl Vehicles used:
Suburban - (first ride and free) incredible for purpose , Wife converted on large vehicles in cargo/comfort
Chevy traverse- actually felt cramped and cargo behind 3rd row seats did not hold stroller easily
Dodge Journey-small but did job , barely room to fit stroller
RAV4-floored it was comfortable and held us all very well. Stroller easy to put in with indent in floor

Much better then rank taxi that don't accept credit cards yet.

I'm impressed the RAV4 is so roomy, I was looking at a co-workers 5 passenger one and it didn't seem likely adding a 3rd row was going to leave any cargo space.

Interesting. Doing a quick search, it looks like the RAV4 has 38.4 cu ft of cargo space behind the rear seats.

The question would become if youre looking at apples to oranges with respect to the third seat.

You mention the Traverse. When I searched for the RAV4, the highlander came up and stated that it has only 13.8 cu ft so I can only imagine a traverse with its third seat up would be similar. However, with the third seat folded (where Id bet the second row still has more space than a rav4), Ill venture to guess that the cargo area increases to 0ver 80cu ft, much, much more...

The suburban is great because it has so much cargo space behind the third row. Too bad they dont make a 25 MPG v6 diesel version.

I couldn't find third row in the current RAV4; I thought it got dropped in 2014, along with the V6? You sure you aren't thinking of the Highlander, which appears to have a third row?

The one I looked at was an 07 or something like that. I think the only new SUV in that size that seats 7 is the Rogue. Maybe a Hyundai too. I just can't see myself paying for a new one as they are $30k here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Too bad they dont make a 25 MPG v6 diesel version.

I am surprised that GM hasn't created a small diesel motor to drop in the Tahoe/Suburban that would easily boost MPG. We all know that they are purchased by families, and the torque of a diesel is perfect for commuting. They don't need an LS V8 to get from A to B.

Soccer moms probably don't want to handle the diesel pump.

Originally Posted By: TheRover1969

I am surprised that GM hasn't created a small diesel motor to drop in the Tahoe/Suburban that would easily boost MPG. We all know that they are purchased by families, and the torque of a diesel is perfect for commuting. They don't need an LS V8 to get from A to B.

Maybe if the diesel Colorado sells well. Once consumer demand shows up, then maybe GM might try to overshoot it and put a diesel in everything.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Soccer moms probably don't want to handle the diesel pump.

Soccer moms don't want to worry about the DEF level. If they really wanted to be
"green", they would drive a Lexus RXh/Toyota Highlander Hybrid instead.

RAV4 was not current generation.

Uber today was some sort of low slung long Lincoln 7 passenger. Excellent for purpose, comfortable, oddly cheap plastics(akin to base RAV4) and nice cargo space with weird back hatch.

Sure beats the smell of metro and same price for the short hops we have been doing door to door. My guess is uber solo may not be that much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: supton

Maybe if the diesel Colorado sells well. Once consumer demand shows up, then maybe GM might try to overshoot it and put a diesel in everything.

Vw made in roads of acceptable diesel in family vehicles and now is completely sunk that ship. Even Audi is dropping them in next generation.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Vw made in roads of acceptable diesel in family vehicles and now is completely sunk that ship. Even Audi is dropping them in next generation.

It's funny (not really). For years I read about how GM sunk diesels in the US. And VW brought them back. Eh...

Ok, both Dodge and GM are working on diesels, but you get the idea.

What they need and what they will purchase are often two different things.

Quote:
I buried car in garage for $100/week
Wouldn't it be nice just to take a train or plane from your home town to DC rather than paying $100 to store the car for the week? I suspect it does not work out that way because the airport or train station would charge you that much to park the car over there too. How about using Uber to go to airport/train station? Still the same cost as the parking?

I guess in USA, you have to use the car if you want to spend the least amount of money :-(

Yes, that is true--it's cheaper to drive than to fly, at least for families. I know we've looked at a few trips, and we'd fly for just two of us; more expensive than driving but if we could save a few days of driving... But for a family of 4 it changes drastically. We like flying but it's cost prohibitive, and thus we don't fly much.

Years ago we took Greyhound out of Concord so as to fly out of Boston. Free parking! Was great, as the Greyhound driver hit lots of typical Boston traffic. However we tend to fly out of Hartford now, drive nearly 3 hours to get there--but again, it's all about the total cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back