steam cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I rarely hear of this service?

I saw it mentioned for cleaning a OTR big rig's engine. And just now see it mentined for cleaning the underbody in a Haynes manual.

Is this for neglected stuff that nobody seems to worry about? Like, for New Englanders in spring- after the salt subsides. Or, on construction equipment that gets caked with mud and dirt.

Steam cleaning is a problem in the engine compartment around modern electronics. There's just too many chances for the steam to get into places and it becomes difficult to remove even if you can find it. The steam enters and condenses. The water often won't go out the same opening the steam entered.

I'm a UPS diesel semi mech. We had a steam cleaner when I first started. It easily blew the paint off the frame and everything else causing a nightmare to fix.

As well as electrical issues, steam implies high temperatures, which will remove oily or waxy coatings, which might be the result of oil leaks, but might also be deliberate treatments.

Since, at worst, these are probably unsightly in places that don't get seen, and at best might be (accidentally or deliberately) effective against rust, scalding them off sounds like a bad idea.

Many so called steam cleaners are really hot water pressure washers. They are expensive to buy (over $1500 to start) and there is more setup involved than using an electric pressure washer for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back