Do XFE packages work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
I thought GM and Ford were done with offering XFE packages but I've seen newer model vehicles with "SFE" or "XFE" badging again. RAM trucks even have a HFE package for their trucks. I remember GM and Ford doing this back years ago trying to eek out bits of MPG out of trucks and cars by offering a taller rear end gear ratio, LRR tires, tonneau covers, and shift lights in MT vehicles saying to upshift sooner. But do they really work or someone with a leaded foot just really don't care?

My fiesta is a hoot to drive and gets ridiculously high mpg if driven gently. May not recover the extra cost at low prices but I got a good price on it.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I thought GM and Ford were done with offering XFE packages but I've seen newer model vehicles with "SFE" or "XFE" badging again. RAM trucks even have a HFE package for their trucks. I remember GM and Ford doing this back years ago trying to eek out bits of MPG out of trucks and cars by offering a taller rear end gear ratio, LRR tires, tonneau covers, and shift lights in MT vehicles saying to upshift sooner. But do they really work or someone with a leaded foot just really don't care?

The taller gear ratio will help some even if you drive crazy, but the driving style is the biggest impact on economy and you can really ruin the mpg by accelerating rapidly

If you drive the vehicle prudently, there is probably a difference.
If you drive it pedal to metal, you will probably be the same or worse off.

Usually its a half baked attempt by the automaker to lower their MPG average.

Friend of mine has a Cruze XFE. Vehicle comes with no spare tire or jack, only a electric "tire inflator" kit that pumps glue into the tire.

Not something I would want.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Friend of mine has a Cruze XFE. Vehicle comes with no spare tire or jack, only a electric "tire inflator" kit that pumps glue into the tire.

You forgot the smaller gas tank and other gimmicks to save weight. I think it was thinner metal and no arm rests it rear seats.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: JustinH

You forgot the smaller gas tank and other gimmicks to save weight. I think it was thinner metal and no arm rests it rear seats.

I have one of those. All the stuff you write off as "gimmicks" works quite well to increase fuel economy over the non-Eco model. There's a lot more that was done to the car besides that, but I don't want to bore with listing all the changes done. Back when it was first introduced, it got 6 mpg highway better than the next most efficient Cruze on EPA tests. In reality it did even better. Folks with rural 2-lane highway commutes were easily averaging 45-48 mpg. Even at 72 mph it's still getting 40 mpg. Personally, I broke even years ago between a Cruze 1LT and my Cruze Eco. The LS wasn't in the running due to lacking features I needed.

Some "fuel economy special" packages do indeed work well. Others are badge jobs. Read the press releases and spec sheets to determine which is which. And if it makes financial sense to buy the fuel economy special version over the regular one.

GM and Ford weren't the only car companies with extended fuel economy systems. Honda made the Civic HX during the 1990s. They had a different VTEC system, a wideband oxygen sensor, and no cat. I'm not sure if they saved fuel when driven hard or not.

During the 1980s the Honda made the Civic HX and CRX HX, and I heard they used wideband oxygen sensors and no cat. I also don't know if they saved fuel when driven hard or not.

Suzuki had a lamer camshaft they put in the 3 cylinder for the Swift/ Metro FI special.

I had a hyundai accent that had two holes in the battery tray; one bolted down a skinny little 4 inch wide OE battery and the other the typical square aftermarket replacement. If they can get into a lighter "weight class" there's some EPA number-fudging that can boost the rated MPG without actually helping the real world.

That car also offered me the choice between 155- and 175 series tires on its door sticker.

The XFE cruze has an aluminum hood, IIRC, but they don't stamp the fenders or door panels out of thinner steel.

My F150 has commuter special 2.73 gears behind its 300-6 and stick shift and gets about 9 MPG in its old, beaten-up-edness. I'd rather have four peppy speeds and a real overdrive in the tranny, make trucking around town loaded more enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Some "fuel economy special" packages do indeed work well. Others are badge jobs. Read the press releases and spec sheets to determine which is which. And if it makes financial sense to buy the fuel economy special version over the regular one.

I think that's a good summary and advice as there seems to be a difference in these packages as to their true functionality versus a more cosmetic nature. Grill louvers and aerodynamic wheel skirts w/ solid wheel covers will only get you so far unless there's some mechanical technology to support it.

I used to see some of these XFE packages with one additional mpg on the EPA highway cycle versus the standard models. I think most would consider that to be a joke versus something that obviously employs multiple new technologies in a synergistic way that has the potential to get 10% or more mileage over the standard model.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

The XFE cruze has an aluminum hood, IIRC, but they don't stamp the fenders or door panels out of thinner steel.

Nah, that's steel. It had to be replaced on my car thanks to a deer a few years ago. Same part as the regular Cruze. GM did use better-quality welds on the body so less welding material needed to be used for the same strength. Amazingly they channeled Colin Chapman where they designed a decent car, and then added lightness.

Some fuel-economy special models might have other characteristics to make it worthwhile over the regular model like unique lightweight wheels, unique drivetrain programming (Civic HX lean-burn mode), different suspension tuning, being the only stick-shift model available, or have a different engine (Corolla fuel-economy package).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back