Rental Review - 2015 Chevy Sonic hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
With our Fit relegated to garage queen status while waiting for a non-grenade airbag to pop up through Honda's supply chain, we're getting the chance to do long-term test drives in some rentals on Honda's dime. Our first rental was a 2015 Chevy Sonic LT hatch. It had the 1.8/6-speed AT combination.

Things we liked: It was pretty quiet at highway speeds for a subcompact hatch. Wind and engine noises were pretty muffled, and the interior didn't have any rattles or weird vibrations over bumps. The engine had a decent amount of power once it wound up, and the transmission did a decent job of picking gears. The ride was pretty good, although it didn't handle like we expected it to. The front seats had a decent amount of room, and sightlines were decent from the driver's seat. Parking the Sonic hatch was very easy thanks to the wheels being at the corners of the car. The radio was pretty basic by today's standards. It sounded fine, and pairing our phones with the Bluetooth was effortless. Like other Chevys with basic radios, the voice commands were simple and easily recognized by the system.

Things we didn't like: The fuel economy wasn't particularly great, at about 30-32 mpg highway and 25 or so around town. I sort of expected this, but was dismayed nonetheless. The interior had an okay amount of room, but nowhere near as well laid out as some competitors. Things like the rear seats not folding flat to the load floor without a removable parcel shelf, or having to remove the headrests to fold the rear seats down. The seats were a deal-breaker after an hour, when both my wife and I got uncomfortable. We never got used to the gauge cluster. It was a bit of a mess visually, and the trip computer in there was not intuitive. The handling was competent, but the steering was lifeless. The car had clearly taken a good hit to the front end, so the lifeless steering could have been that it needed an alignment. The turning circle seemed large for the size car it was. This was easy to get used to, although an annoyance in really shoehorning the car into tight spots.

Overall, we thought it was just average. Decent basic transportation that works decently in a suburban/urban setting. It's quick and thirsty, the dragster of its class. GM made this thing decently. Knowing this drivetrain, I'd expect it to last a long time with rather indifferent maintenance. Same with the rest of the car.

Kinda some of my same thoughts with the car. Still a bit on the small size to me, but I was impressed by the handling though...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2014 Accord LX with CVT returns about 33-35 MPG on Hwy with 75-80 MPH.

I hear you. I can do that with my CVT Subaru Forester.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2014 Accord LX with CVT returns about 33-35 MPG on Hwy with 75-80 MPH.

I hear you. I can do that with my CVT Subaru Forester.
Even my old Camry does that! And my previous 97 Camry.

At 60-65 it'll do 37 mpg. Sometimes I wonder about those small cars...

The new Chevy Cruze is much larger than Sonic and its hwy rating is 42 MPG.

The new Civic 1.5L Turbo engine has the same rating of 42 MPG on hwy, the 2.0L normally aspirated engine is 41 MPG.

For compact car hwy mileage should be above 37-38 MPG. For midsize car 34-35 MPG is acceptable. For compact car 40+ MPG is expected.

Last edited:
On the Cruzetalk forum the 1.8 isn't doing well there either for mpg. The optional 1.4T is the way to go. I have a Cruze 1LT 1.4T automatic and it averages 34-35 mpg. On the highway going between 65-70 it breaks 40.

My 2 Series gets 32 mpg at 80 mph- my ti gets about the same, but with 5th gear being 1:1, the M42 motor is spinning at 4000 rpm...

I think the 1.8 is acknowledged as the red headed stepchild vs. the 1.4T so it sounds like your expectations were met with this experience. Not that you'll get more than a couple mpg extra out of the 1.4T though...probably close to 30 mpg combined.

Most subcompacts aren't particularly good highway cruisers, but I think the Sonic does pretty well on that count. I test drove one a couple years ago looking for a commuter module and the only cars I could deal with for that purpose were the Sonic and the Accent. Both were comfortable with the engines relaxed in sixth gear rather than spinning at 3200 rpm and the drone driving me insane.

We weren't expecting much in the fuel economy department given the drivetrain and body. Subcompact hatches stink for highway fuel economy since it's a wedge being pushed through the air. There's a lot of drag created when the air detaches at the rear hatch. A car has to be just slightly longer and more aerodynamic to get decent highway MPG.

The 1.8 in the Sonic just isn't fuel efficient. The 1.4T can be much more efficient given the right car and right gearing. My Cruze averages about 40 mpg in suburban highway-style driving thanks to a longer body and better gearing, and 45-46 mpg on highway trips. The 1.8 doesn't have the cooling system issues or stricter maintenance requirements of the 1.4T to balance out the sub-par fuel economy. For this little hatch and its intended market, I do feel the 1.8 is the better engine solely because of the lax maintenance it can withstand.

I rent them regularly. While my initial impression is that they are OK, I have come to really dislike them. Just not good enough compared to the competition. I especially don't like the Sonic on long highway trips.

Yeah, I think it might come down to how much you want a new breed small turbo ( and everything that entails ) versus a more vanilla power plant. Lesser cost, maintenance and other factors will guide the decision. I don't doubt that the Cruze would be a considerably better platform for efficiency.

I test drove a six speed manual version of the 1.4T Sonic and was surprised how much I had to do the fifth or sixth to third downshifts to motivate the car in certain instances. It's a relatively heavy car and those kinds of frequent downshifts will kill your gas mileage. I didn't have any issues with the Accent as it's power to weight ratio is better and it seemed more responsive to the gas pedal. At least in my case, I felt the Sonic was in boost more than it had to be if the gearing was different, the car was lighter, and just the responsiveness was more predictable. On that count, the 1.8 might appeal to people just based on that kind of experience.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Yeah, I think it might come down to how much you want a new breed small turbo ( and everything that entails ) versus a more vanilla power plant. Lesser cost, maintenance and other factors will guide the decision. I don't doubt that the Cruze would be a considerably better platform for efficiency.

I test drove a six speed manual version of the 1.4T Sonic and was surprised how much I had to do the fifth or sixth to third downshifts to motivate the car in certain instances. It's a relatively heavy car and those kinds of frequent downshifts will kill your gas mileage. I didn't have any issues with the Accent as it's power to weight ratio is better and it seemed more responsive to the gas pedal. At least in my case, I felt the Sonic was in boost more than it had to be if the gearing was different, the car was lighter, and just the responsiveness was more predictable. On that count, the 1.8 might appeal to people just based on that kind of experience.

In a quest for cheapness, GM didn't do much revision to the manual in the Sonic. So the gear ratios are all sorts of screwy for the 1.4T. Manual 1.4T Cruzes don't suffer from this since GM did spend the R&D effort to better sort gear ratios in that car. Which is why the heavier 1.4T Cruze gets to 60 faster than a 1.4T Sonic and gets better fuel economy.

The Sonic isn't a bad car by any means. It's just that instead of trying to make a really good car, GM just said "good enough" and sent it to production. Compared to a Versa or Yaris, it's a more compelling choice since it's fairly peppy and the interior is a nicer place to spend time. Its biggest competition is the Cruze. For a small price difference a much nicer car is available on the same lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back