Gas Push Mower Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the market for a gas push mower. I have a lawn tractor and need a mower to cut
around flower beds,bushes,etc. Has to have a rear bag. Anyone purchase one recently
that they like? Looking at different sale sites,in some ways they seem alike regardless
of the manufacture ,same engine,handles and controls appear the same etc.
Thanks

I have a Craftsman with a Honda engine. I've had it close to 10 years. It's very reliable and does start on the first or second pull.

In retrospect I wonder if I should have gone all Honda. I understand they makes different grades of small engines and I'll bet this isn't one of their industrial strength ones. A used all Honda mower might be just the ticket.

you cant go wrong with anything 6.5hp briggs/stratton, 5.5hp can be usable but if your grass gets too tall it will struggle.

I got a smoking deal on a Honda push mower a month ago(last year's model)

I would say Honda push mowers are worth it. Watch out, the self propelled ones tend to break more.

I would also check a pawn shop as well. They are U.S.A. made. I prefer the "Twin blade" Honda's.

My Honda is a single blade and I can run into deep grass and the engine does not bog down when mulching.... Now my Troy-Bulit(powered by Honda) would bog down in tall grass, and you had to slow down, not so with the Honda.

Last edited:
You don't need anything special if you're just mowing around stuff you can't get with your lawn tractor. Any cheapo mower from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc would work just fine.

My real recommendation would be to find a used mower off Craigslist or somewhere else. There are always tons of mowers in the $50-100 range on Craigslist. I needed something to mow where I couldn't get with my tractor and picked this one up off Craigslist for $75.

Get close enough with the rider that you can clean up the edges with a weedwhip
grin.gif

You have a huge amount of options if you want a rear bagger trim mower.

--People use the term "push mower" to mean different things at times, so just to be clear, do you mean a walk-behind rear bagger mower than you push, or would you consider self propelled?

--Deck width? Does it need to be narrow to squeeze between things or is full size OK for faster mowing?

--Bagger only, or will you ever need to mulch or side discharge?

--Pull start or electric start?

--Price range?

Some mowers are rebranded versions made by the same manufacturer, but there are a lot of choices from separate manufacturers too so they're not really exactly the same, but it also depends on what you have available in your neck of the woods.

Give us some more information on what you're looking for and we can narrow our recommendations.

While nice, it isn't necessary to buy a Honda to get a decent mower that will last.

I'm assuming you don't need a self propelled mower as you said push mower. A smaller, lighter push mower is just the ticket and will be easier to operate and let you cut a tad closer around delicate flower beds.. .

The perfect model is this: https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/20-push-mower-20319

2nsp7dd.jpg

Last edited:
Family has used Briggs and Stratton mowers ever since I way a kid. Always been great.

Think my families current Briggs and Stratton is 8-10 years old. Grandfathers is atleast 15 years old. All still run awesome.

Picked up a mower with a Briggs and Stratton 700 series DOV for a awesome deal and it's the smoothest running mower ive ever owned. Tons of power for wet grass as well

If you go with a Briggs get one that has a prime button i always had problems with automatic chokes.
Everyone i had i started with starter fluid or carb cleaner.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
While nice, it isn't necessary to buy a Honda to get a decent mower that will last.

I'm assuming you don't need a self propelled mower as you said push mower. A smaller, lighter push mower is just the ticket and will be easier to operate and let you cut a tad closer around delicate flower beds.. .

The perfect model is this: https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/20-push-mower-20319

2nsp7dd.jpg

That one weighs in at 63 pounds, which would work good for a trim mower. Lawnboy has a self propelled at 66 pounds, but I don't know about the quality. Walmart has a Murray mower for $194, but I could not find the weight on it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Murray-21-Gas-Push-Mower-with-Side-Discharge-Mulching-Rear-Bag/19536397

For that kind of use, I'd look for something cheap.
Most CL mowers won't come with the bagging kit.
There are some cheap new mowers that do.
For the amount of use you'll give a mower in trimming use, it seems a little wasteful to spend two or three times what the cost of a cheap machine would be.

What price point are you looking at? Unless you're talking a Toro Super Recycler, a Honda or a higher end Snapper or Ariens, pretty much all the rest are the same.

A Snapper hi-vac, Toro Super Recycler (has to be a "Super") or a Honda is going to be your best 3 baggers.

All the rest will be an MTD or Husqvarna built machine.

Nothing bags like a snapper hi vac. I currently use a toro timemaster 30. A bit expensive but its a real time saver.

Originally Posted By: JTK
What price point are you looking at? Unless you're talking a Toro Super Recycler, a Honda or a higher end Snapper or Ariens, pretty much all the rest are the same.

A Snapper hi-vac, Toro Super Recycler (has to be a "Super") or a Honda is going to be your best 3 baggers.

He wants a manual walk-behind, not a personal pace.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
you cant go wrong with anything 6.5hp briggs/stratton, 5.5hp can be usable but if your grass gets too tall it will struggle.

1999 called and they want their answer back. They haven't sold engines with horsepower ratings in what, 10 plus years now.

Thanks to all for the advise,appreciate it. Will go shopping this
weekend!
This forum and its membership is great!
Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back