New spark plugs for the Frontier, questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '10 Frontier is almost at 6 years and 100,000 miles (5 years 9 months and 99,600 miles).

It's time to start thinking about spark plugs. Of course, it comes with NGK Laser Iridiums from the factory. Do I really need to put those exact plugs back into the 4.0L? I can get Autolite XP Iridiums for less than 1/2 the price locally that I would have to order the NGK's from RA but they are still double the price and I have to wait a week to get them.

Both are iridium plugs, the Autolites even have a lifetime warranty. I've always heard Japanese plugs in Japanese cars, but I've never owned a car long enough to have to change the plugs, and that logic just seems kind of silly to me when I think about it. Isn't an iridium plug an iridium plug? Please educate me if I'm way off here.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb is to put in the same plugs you took out.

Unless you're experiencing issues, I'd personally leave those plugs in for longer. NGK's can handle it.

I put them in our Lexus in January and 4k later they are working great; have not run them long-term yet.

The slightly lower price per plug + an agressive Autolite Rebate made me try the Autolite XP3923. Otherwise I was going to use Denso Long-Life. The back cylinder bank on this car is annoying to get at and I want Iridium. I am not willing to do the job routinely with copper or platinum. The price difference was enough to make me give the Autolite a try.

They have been in 4k miles and no issues yet and smooth idle and performance.

I also know a "guru" on a forum I use for my Acura and he runs the cheaper copper Autolites in his car (access is not an issue) and changes them out every 15k or so. Says they work great. He's a real whiz and has helped me with some very technical problems, so I respect his opinion on things.

Check the gap on yours and is your idle smooth? If both of those are ok, you can go longer. There is a variable life of Iridium in different applications but some can go quite far.

Last edited:
If cost is the deciding issue then I would also leave those plugs in situ, perhaps take them out for a clean and regap.

If a component is going to be in use for 100k miles then I can't see the point in choosing a cheaper product that may prove inferior.

I never chose vehicle parts based on price alone (rebates are uncommon in Uk anyway)

I have never heard of Autolites, they may be a great brand, but I stick with what I know. Such as Bosch or NGK.

They may have Lifetime Warranty by how long do Autolites consider to be the lifetime of the plug?

Can you quantify the saving?

Are we talking a $10 or a $100 saving?

Thanks guys. The idle is still smooth, MPG is still inline with what it's always been. I guess I'll save some cash and drive them longer.

I'm really happy at how well this truck has held up since I bought it new. I've got a drive belt and tensioner coming soon. In all honestly, I think that would easily go quite a while longer too.

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Thanks guys. The idle is still smooth, MPG is still inline with what it's always been. I guess I'll save some cash and drive them longer.

I'm really happy at how well this truck has held up since I bought it new. I've got a drive belt and tensioner coming soon. In all honestly, I think that would easily go quite a while longer too.

I tow a lot with my Tacoma pickup. I preface with that, because I was surprised by what I found when I pulled the NGK iridium plugs that had been in for 70k miles.

There was no misfire, nor discernible drop in mileage, but....The center tips had receded below the tip of the porcelain. The gaps were 3x original. How they still worked, I can not imagine. Obviously, 70k mostly towing was more than their realistic lifespan. I will change the current ones at maybe 50k.

I would at least pull one out, and gap it, examine it.

Dying plugs can end up costing you a lot more when the increased resistance puts strain on your coil above it (I'm assuming this car has coil over plug like most modern do - but not all). It is not worth trashing a $50 part in order to stretch out the life of a $5 one. Especially when you might do that 6 times.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
A good rule of thumb is to put in the same plugs you took out.

I've stuck to this for all my vehicles and never had a problem.

AC Delco for GM vehciles
NGK/Nippendenso for Honda,Toyota or Nissan.

You can't go wrong with NGK.

Autolite is made in China. Lifetime warranty sounds like classic marketing [censored]. I would never buy them.

What comes out should go in, unless your engine is modified accordingly.

Have you tried your Nissan parts counter? I've gotten some good deals from mine before. You can also try Courtesy Nissan online.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

By that logic, no oner should use a non-OEM oil filter. And Toyota, for example, doesn't always use the same plug in ther exact same engine. Different suppliers can meet the same spec, and even the manufacturer takes advantage of that.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

By that logic, no oner should use a non-OEM oil filter. And Toyota, for example, doesn't always use the same plug in ther exact same engine. Different suppliers can meet the same spec, and even the manufacturer takes advantage of that.

We're talking about spark plugs here but, generally speaking, OEM parts are the superior choice.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
And Toyota, for example, doesn't always use the same plug in ther exact same engine.

They use NGK or Denso, not Bosch, not Autolite, not Champion. Same with Honda.
I suspect problems occur when the aftermarket plug does not position the spark gap in the same place in the combustion chamber as OEM, i.e. correct reach.
for some reason many of the Japanese designs are sensitive to this.
The multi electrode plugs are an obvious mismatch.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll probably pull a plug or two from the drives side (easier to get to) this weekend and just check them out.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll probably pull a plug or two from the drives side (easier to get to) this weekend and just check them out.

If you're going to go through the trouble of pulling any, might as well replace them. I agree with most everyone else... Just get the OEM plugs. Plugs are so easy to change, and so cheap, at 100k why not.

Also, K20FA5? I had an 08 FA5, terrific car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back