Peak Global application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 be safe for my car? I know Hondas and most Japanese cars say that they need "silicate free" coolant, and this stuff is. But the reason I'm asking is because it's apparently an amber color, and my current coolant is a dark green.

Am I just overthinking it? I do that a lot, haha.

Last edited:
Oh of course I'll flush everything out.

It's not gunky at all and it's not too dirty, so I don't think it's necessary to run distilled water through and then drive around for about 10 minutes, I'll just drain the old fluid and then add new stuff. Am I right in doing so?

I would still run Distilled through it at least 3 times with running it until the thermostat opens or a few minutes with the thermostat removed.

Do it right and you won't have to worry about it for years.

As others have said, should work fine. And color is not a reliable indicator of AF chemistry, so basically forget about that.

One consideration though, if you're going to do a distilled flush series AND use a premix, even with PGL you will have do some d&fs with PGL premix to get to ~50% concentration. You may want to read the linked thread below to get the idea. Even though it talks about Type2 premix, idea the same. If you can find the PGL full strength that would be better and easier. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ush#Post4061721

I'll just throw out one other option, if Pep Boys nearby. OEM brand blue concentrate will also do nicely with a distilled flush series and complete system exchange.

People on here have used PGL in Japanese applications without issue.

I couldn't find any when doing the water pump on my Accord so I picked up some Zerex Asian, which is also good stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting back up to 50% concentration in the entire system in Mississippi.

I would probably do my 3 Distilled water drain and fills and then do a drain and fill with 50/50 mixture before the final top off. Anything over 30% will be fine for your climate and needs for corrosion protection.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It would be fine but I would recommend flushing all the old coolant out first.

Agreed.

I flushed the coolant in my 2004 S2000 last summer 1 time with distilled water. The reason I flushed only 1 time because when I drained the flush water it looked almost colorless, very little OEM green coolant remained in the system.

I used concentrate Peak Global Lifetime I bought from NAPA.

Another good concentrate coolant for Asian vehicles is available at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Perfectly fine. I used it in my 2001 Civic and 2005 CR-V, no issues.

+1 I would use it with confidence. As people have mentioned, flush it out with distilled and enjoy. I have PGL in both my Equinox and Malibu without issues. Both are clean as when I put it in 6 years ago.

When flushing coolant if you take out the engine block drain plug(s) the flushing goes so much more thoroughly and efficiently compared to just the radiator drain plug or pulling the lower radiator hose. There is usually a pint to quart or more of coolant left in the system if the engine block drain plug isn't removed. Good luck, have fun.

I have PGL in my Corolla and have no problems at all with it.

The concentrate is available at Petroleum Services Corp.

I would follow 901Memphis advice and do a few D&R's with distilled water.

Do most of you consider this a 5 year coolant or 'lifetime'?

I have PGL in my Honda S2000 after doing a flush with distilled water last year.

I will do a simple drain and fill in 5 year. I think I paid $15-16 for 1 gallon concentrate at NAPA, drain and fill will probably need about 6-8 quarts so 1 gallon concentrate is enough. $15 for 5 years is very reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back