2015 Kia Forte 1.6 GDI Used Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a daily driver approximately 150 miles a day mostly highway. Also can anyone point to a resource for the low to high range for the numbers to refer to and use as a guide? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Code:

Make Kia

Engine Type 1.6 TGDI

Oil Type Amsoil Singnature Series 5W30

Miles in Use 14,486

Miles on Engine 31,962

Date of Sample 4/6/16

(ppm)

Iron 44

Chromium 1

Nickel 0

Aluminum 8

Copper 2

Lead 0

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 23

Sodium 7

Potassium 19

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 134

Antimony 0

Manganese 1

Lithium 0

Boron 34

Magnesium 157

Calcium 2713

Barium 0

Phosphorous 617

Zinc 771

Contaminants % Vol

Fuel Dilution >5 - GC

Soot
Water

Fluid Properties

Viscosity 100°C CST 9.7

Base # mg KOH/g 2.22

Oxidation abs/cm 51

Nitration abs/0.1mm 19

Last edited:
Iron seems a little high about 14ppm per 5k miles but not horrible, may be somewhat normal for this engine (im not familiar with it)
SIlicon 23ppm?
What kind and how old is your air filter?

Last edited:
Factory air filter. Its due for a change at or around 30,000.

High silicon might be from being a new engine being that this uoa was on a fairly new engine.

Seems like the oil was pretty much used up.
GDI engines arent the best to extend oil change intervals on due to extra fuel dilution.

I think I would try ~12000 miles for a couple intervals to establish a baseline and trends (downward hopefully)

Yes it was OAI. They have a numbering system from 0-1 normal, 2-3 abnormal, and 4 critical.

Iron was normal at #0
Silicon was normal at #1
Boron was abnormal #3
Magnesium was at abnormal #3
Fuel Dilution was at critical #4
Base Number was at critical #4

Originally Posted By: wpaul
Yes it was OAI. They have a numbering system from 0-1 normal, 2-3 abnormal, and 4 critical.

Iron was normal at #0
Silicon was normal at #1
Boron was abnormal #3
Magnesium was at abnormal #3
Fuel Dilution was at critical #4
Base Number was at critical #4

5% is really a lot of fuel dilution, especially given your driving patterns. I'd take this UOA analysis to your dealer and push for further evaluation (assuming you won't destroy your warranty with an admission you went 2x the recommended OCI). At the very least, shorten your OCI to the recommended length and retest.

Isn't the "normal" OCI 5k miles on Hyundai/Kia turbo cars? Could be bad if there is a warranty claim for the engine.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Isn't the "normal" OCI 5k miles on Hyundai/Kia turbo cars? Could be bad if there is a warranty claim for the engine.

It is, and in fact I know the manual for the Hyundai Veloster Turbo (same engine) says the turbo oil should be changed at 5,000 miles, or 3,000 for "severe" use (which is almost everything). At some point this summer I'll have a UOA for a daily driven one with PP 5w30 at about 4,000 miles.

I think you cant go by companies claims of "15,000 miles guaranteed" with DI cars. Especially DI turbo cars.

One of the vehicles (2010 Hyundai 2.4L) I been doing 5k OCI as at about that point I start smelling fuel in the oil (I think). Normal service is 7.5k, but I can't push myself yet to go more - besides, easy for me to remember OCI 5k changes.
Also seems noise increase about then, fresh OC tames it back down, but that's probably just me.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
One of the vehicles (2010 Hyundai 2.4L) I been doing 5k OCI as at about that point I start smelling fuel in the oil (I think). Normal service is 7.5k, but I can't push myself yet to go more - besides, easy for me to remember OCI 5k changes.
Also seems noise increase about then, fresh OC tames it back down, but that's probably just me.

In the veloster turbo I do changes for, I could really smell fuel in the oil at 5k also. And thats after the car was driving 30 minutes before the change. I know not to go by smell/color with these things, but it makes you wonder... I cant wait to get the UOA on the car as its just a daily driver, so it should be pretty representative of how most people would run it. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 as it meets the 1.6T needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

It is, and in fact I know the manual for the Hyundai Veloster Turbo (same engine) says the turbo oil should be changed at 5,000 miles, or 3,000 for "severe" use (which is almost everything). At some point this summer I'll have a UOA for a daily driven one with PP 5w30 at about 4,000 miles.

I think you cant go by companies claims of "15,000 miles guaranteed" with DI cars. Especially DI turbo cars.

Yeah unfortunately doing these long oci's will most likely result in no warranty coverage if the op continues these oci's. Hyundai/KIA are very strict when it comes to proof of oil changes on their schedule. It is the very first thing that comes up when a engine needs service. During the warranty period its best to stick with factory recommendations.

That fuel dilution is insanely high. I have a turbo DI engine in my Jetta and just got back a UOA with only trace fuel in the oil. With mostly highway miles you should not have any noticeable fuel dilution.

Dang it OP, I hate to say it but you drank the long OCI koolaid... ;-p seriously chop that oci in to thirds. Your turbo will be happier. Your iron will be happier. Al looks good to me compared to my higher hp/l 2.0tgdi sonata. Use syn on sale and lower your per qt price. My uoa showed w a little better per 1k #'s on iron a bit worse on al. But its the fuel dilution that you should predicate your OCI on imnsho.

Use an oil that meets the manufacturer's specs and limit to 5-7.5k OCI's. No sense in spending that money on Amsoil Signature, but if you like their oil then the OEM would probably work just fine for the shorter runs.

I got two TGDI vehicles, no way I'd ever go 15k no matter what the oil said it was good for. But you should be able to go 7.5k for your driving conditions. If you still have a fuel dilution issue then you might want to wander into the dealer.

when a gamma engine start to be noisy change oil usually . unless the timing chain tensioners are worn. if oil is full of gas those timing chain tensionner goes bad fast and even faster with ethanol gas. i wouldnt go past 3000 mile with a turbo

Last edited:
Originally Posted by yvon_la
i dont know what type of oil that is timing chain tensionner friendly !

If you have a small displacement turbo like the 1.6TGDI then any API SN Plus oil is your best bet until GF-6 cert. is released.

Not catastrophic results, but I'd say you pushed it a bit too far, especially on a GDI turbo engine.

Agree with people about the warranty point - Kia sees this, your warranty is gone. Yes, you can fight it, but how long will that take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back