cSt Visc @ 100C 17.15

FLASHPOINT ºF 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.1

TBN 4.0

TAN 4.3

Oil was in there for about 21 months and saw a bunch of autocross events, two track days, and plenty of WOT. The car is stored over the winter hence the low mileage. It's also not really a DD since I typically fly during the week.

Metal counts are on par with all of my previous ones if not a bit lower in some categories.

New oil that went in is the BMW M TwinPower Turbo 10w60.

Just a reminder that this is the 4.0L V8 with an 8,300rpm redline.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
That's a really clean report.

What lab is this?

Blackstone.

Nice...you bashed up the KV100 a fair bit, but clearly there was enough in reserve for the application.

I'm interested in how you got such a good result while suffering from the "poor flow" that 10Ws give you on start-up, and the likely fact that the pump relief was likely open for a large part of your operation.

Any tips on how you dodged all those bullets ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm interested in how you got such a good result while suffering from the "poor flow" that 10Ws give you on start-up, and the likely fact that the pump relief was likely open for a large part of your operation.

Any tips on how you dodged all those bullets ?

TWS has an absurdly-low CCS @ -25C value of 4879. I've never seen any other 10w60 come close. Bear in mind that the coldest temps this thing probably sees is 40 F.

I'm also very careful to keep engine load low until the oil is warmed up.

I'm one of the guys who refused to run the BMW spec oil. I've complained up and down about how lower viscosities are better. This kind of result simply supports the notion that it's hard to hurt a modern engine/oil combination with proper care and maintenance. I still like my Redline 10W-40 blend in the S65, but can't knock these results.

OP, Thanks for posting the TAN with this UOA.

No prob, Radiation Joe.

Plenty of guys run M1 0w40 or other thinner oils without any ill effects, and I did see at least one person on M3post show that the oil pressure is still fine.

After the car is out of warranty I may switch to a stout 0w40 like Motul 300V or even M1.

Thanks for posting, lots of TBN left.

KV 100C went from a nominal 22.7 to a measured 17.15, but that is still in the 50 weight range, and probably ample for the job.

Looking at J300
50 Grade = 16.3 to 21.9
60 Grade = 21.9 to 26.1
So even when new, this oil is right at the bottom end of the 60 grade range anyway.

Thanks again for having it tested, Ive used a lot of this oil over the years.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Thanks for posting, lots of TBN left.

KV 100C went from a nominal 22.7 to a measured 17.15, but that is still in the 50 weight range, and probably ample for the job.

Looking at J300
50 Grade = 16.3 to 21.9
60 Grade = 21.9 to 26.1
So even when new, this oil is right at the bottom end of the 60 grade range anyway.

Thanks again for having it tested, Ive used a lot of this oil over the years.

Yep, more evidence to support the "shears quickly but then holds steady" anecdote that's circulated for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back