Oil for a new turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

The subject here is a Ford Modular 4.6L DOHC with a journal bearing turbo. The car sees less than 3,000 miles a year, days at the drag strip and weekend warrior status otherwise. I turn the engine to 6500rpm on a regular basis.

I do not drive it at ambient air temps below 60*, so winter performance is not an issue.

The engine is a fresh build with a hone job, new bearings, rings, polished crank.

At this point I'm considering a 0w-30 or 0w-40 oil, but not sure as to which brand. Recommendations?

Winter performance isn't an issue but you are looking at 0w oils?

Give the car a little more credit, there are some beautiful 40* days out there, especially in Ohio, let that car breath even if it's cold.

How warm are you getting it before a run ?

If it's mid range warm, a run, then back to waiting, Redline 5W20 methinks.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Winter performance isn't an issue but you are looking at 0w oils?

Give the car a little more credit, there are some beautiful 40* days out there, especially in Ohio, let that car breath even if it's cold.

0w-xx oils have a lower viscosity than 5w-xx or 10w-xx weight oils at 75*F. Decreased engine wear at start up.

Also, 40* surface temperatures with racing slicks is like driving on glass.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
How warm are you getting it before a run ?

If it's mid range warm, a run, then back to waiting, Redline 5W20 methinks.

I usually let it idle until water temperature reaches 170*F. I'm not sure on oil temperature.

Originally Posted By: static74

0w oils have a lower viscosity than 5 or 10 weight oils at 75*F. Decreased engine wear at start up.

Also, 40* surface temperatures with racing slicks is like driving on glass.

No they don't.

the redline 5W20 at your 75F is likely to be 110cst.

M1 0W40 is likely to be 50% thicker at 150cst.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

No they don't.

the redline 5W20 at your 75F is likely to be 110cst.

M1 0W40 is likely to be 50% thicker at 150cst.

I'm basing my information off of http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-104/. Just trying to understand the differences here.

Thank you for the recommendation though. How does it compare to other competitors such as Amsoil 5w-20?

Last edited:
Hi all.

The subject here is a Ford Modular 4.6L DOHC with a journal bearing turbo. The car sees less than 3,000 miles a year, days at the drag strip and weekend warrior status otherwise. I turn the engine to 6500rpm on a regular basis.

I do not drive it at ambient air temps below 60*, so winter performance is not an issue.

The engine is a fresh build with a hone job, new bearings, rings, polished crank.

At this point I'm considering a 0w-30 or 0w-40 oil, but not sure as to which brand. Recommendations?

M1 0W-40 would be a great choice...low viscosity helps you in first starting, decrease engine wear..

xW-40 helps you maintain the turbo bearing keeps not too hot because you do drag..

in my place, when we do drag in circuit since i live in tropical season. we use 5w-50 like Redline 5w-50..because we need to fully lubricate the turbo bearing..

I'm guessing the sump temps are around 140-160F?
In a 700 bhp Coyote we run PP 10W30. In a 700 bhp GT500 we run M1 0W40. But both are street cars so need extra viscosity for the higher street temps.

The 1200 bhp 408W Turbo Drag Radial Car runs M1 5W30 but doesn't see any street use except for required at events.

Honestly if the Coyote with right factory bearings was strip only with 140-160f sump temps It would be on 0W20.

Hi all.

How much turbo boost are you going to run?
Based on your first post, just a good 5w30 synthetic like M1 would be fine.
What is the maximum amount of time under boost you expect to run the engine? Drag strip use should only be about 13 seconds.

I'd say any syn 5w30. I'm running 10w30 conventional for only this change next will be syn 0w30 but I'm pushing around 10k pounds with 600 hp and 30psi of boost with no problems. With a diesel but besides extra soot the turbo doesn't know it's on a diesel.

I'm basing my information off of http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-104/. Just trying to understand the differences here.

Thank you for the recommendation though. How does it compare to other competitors such as Amsoil 5w-20?

Ahh, can see where there's some confusion generated, there's lots of errors and generalities in that.

In the range that you are talking, M1 0W30 and M1 5W30 track virtually exactly the same viscosity path with temperature, from freezing to operating temperature exposing how the generalities don't always work

Here's the Reldine data sheet.
https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Motor Oil PDS 5-13.pdf

Here's Mobil's 0W30
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30.aspx

Can see that the 5W20 is thinner at 40C, but has the same HTHS (representative of big end protection at operating temperature).

The redline has little to no viscosity modifiers in that grade, so should be shear stable.

As to the Amsoil
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

See that the 5W20 only has an HTHS of 2.7...same as the Mobil offerings, you should go 5W30 if you want Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
..I just want to see some pics of the car.. I love me some 99-04 Cobra/Mach 1 with the DOHC.

I agree, but the op did not state in which car this modular/Romeo engine is installed.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: ccap41
..I just want to see some pics of the car.. I love me some 99-04 Cobra/Mach 1 with the DOHC.

I agree, but the op did not state in which car this modular/Romeo engine is installed.
21.gif

You are correct.. But I'm going to be optimistic and hope it's one I listed..lol

Then again.. A turbo Lincoln/Merc Town Car would be awesome too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back