Castrol Edge now warranty strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on the back of castrol Edge yesterday. Castrol has finally started offering a warranty applicable to all Castrol Edge Oils for 350K or 15 years. Apparently all the reformulations have given them something they are very confident in.

Apparently marketing hype like this still works. The chances of ever actually collecting on such a warranty is extremely low. If you think about it for a few minutes you'll be able to figure out why.

Advertising in hope to sell more product. Sorry Castrol I'm not impressed. Probably worthless like the competitors warranties.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But do they still require you to not exceed OCI specified in your owner's manual?

it says extended performance up to 15k miles protection in the image.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But do they still require you to not exceed OCI specified in your owner's manual?

Yes per the FAQ

https://castrol-warranty.email-preferences.com/faq

Does my vehicle qualify?

Yes, if:

- You have maintained your vehicle in accordance with OEM’s recommendation for oil change service
- Your vehicle is not subject to any exclusion as set forth in the Warranty Details
- You own or lease a passenger car, van or light truck with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less
- Your vehicle has been driven less than 125,000 miles and the vehicle is 6 years old or less

Details
https://castrol-warranty.email-preferences.com/warranty-details

Quote:
For vehicles between 18,000 and 125,000 miles, you must prove service was performed in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for severe driving conditions.

So basically one has to by a very expensive oil, change it at a very short interval (5000, 7500 - whatever the manufacturer says) just to have the warranty claim denied because there is no receipt for a spark plug change at 100000 or a water pump change at 105000 or something crazy.

Excellent marketing.

+1000

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Apparently marketing hype like this still works. The chances of ever actually collecting on such a warranty is extremely low. If you think about it for a few minutes you'll be able to figure out why.

Yeah, lets say best case scenario you do have all your information in order to collect.. chances are your engine isnt going to be the thing that gives up before 350k miles, but something else. And even if it was the engine giving up.. you would need to prove its oil related.. and by the time your car has 300k miles on it, it would be worth about nothing to anyone, so Castrol might send you a cheque for 5$, but only if you have all your documentation which could be argued..

Marketing indeed..

This is more about "matching" the Mobil 1 marketing than anything.

Yes virtually nobody will keep a car anywhere near 350k and meet the terms of the warranty, the same as every other oil blender that offers one.

Here is more:

How do I keep my warranty valid?*

Have Castrol® motor oils professionally installed per the guidelines in your Warranty Certificate
Maintain copies of your oil-change service receipts. Receipts must indicate the installer name, date of service, odometer reading, brand of Castrol® motor oil installed and price paid

No thanks, Castrol.

So - with that said, has anyone ever heard of an engine being replaced by an oil company? I certainly have not.

I still find it funny that, even today, people still think the engine is the most fragile part of the vehicle and that oil changes are the *only* think needed to keep a vehicle going.

They will never service or even think about touching the AT fluid, differential/4wd system, coolant , spark plugs ... but gotta keep that engine oil changed and don't go .5 mile over 3000!!!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
When they deny the claim because they attribute the damage to low oil level, how do you win that argument?

You don't! Unless you want to venture down the unethical path and top it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back