Causes of Excessive Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am lucky with my car. It is a known oil burner but with over 130k on it, it doesn't use any noticeable amount in a 5k oil change.

Decent article.

My car blows to blue smoke everyday on startup. Decent cloud too. But it's only 1-1/2 quarts in 5k miles. Needs valve guide seals.

Pretty sad about these newer engines "using" so much oil. My 2000 factory remanned Detroit 60 12.7L diesel with 535,000 miles on the reman only uses about 2-3 qts in 20,000 - 22,500 mile oil changes.

One thing the article failed to mention was the amount of oil that gets suck up thru the PCV line to the intake on some engines. My previous 2013 Silverado 5.3L with the AFM stuff, I put on a PCV line oil filter (catch can) and captured about 2 oz of oil every 1000 miles. Virtually mirrored the amount of oil my engine was "using". Same has been true for my current 2500 Silverado with a 6.0L and no AFM. The oil captured in 6000 miles virtually mirrors the amount the oil has dropped on the dip stick. It "uses" about 2-4 oz in 6000 miles and that is about what the catch can captures in that time.

While the article went to great lengths to show how oil getting by the rings carbons up things, they didn't mention how the same thing can occur from the top end via oil coming thru the PCV to the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back