Tire storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't pass up some Cooper CS5's from the recent DTD sale, but our current tires still have some service left. Thinking of having them installed just before next winter. Is there any precautions I should take if storing in a crawl space ( I don't think the wife will stand for them to stay in the garage that long)? I was thinking of placing them on a couple 2x4's to keep the moisture off. Should I do anything else?

Ozone exposure, moisture and heat are what you can affect. Wrap them tight with shrink wrap/flexible shipping tape and keep them in a cool/constant temperature, out of the sun, environment. A 200 ft roll of tape costs under $10. Even doing all this, it probably won't affect them all that much. Ensure the tires that you buy are only a couple months old. You don't want 1-2 year old "new" tires.

Wrap them loosely with trash bags. You want them to breathe and not get moldy, but at the same time they're coated with a waxy preservative that will help.

Originally Posted By: takotruckin
Mount them now and enjoy your new tires. Sell the old ones on Craigslist for $50-100.
+1. I just sold a bald set of Hankook tires on Craigslist for $80, easy.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mount them now and enjoy your new tires. Sell the old ones on Craigslist for $50-100.

You mean 4-5/32" tread remaining ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, they had 4/32" remaining, with not an ounce of siping or tread design left. I call that bald.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, they had 4/32" remaining, with not an ounce of siping or tread design left. I call that bald.

Although, technically, not bald - that's the point at which I consider a tire bald and ready to be recycled or resold

I usually wrap them with trash bags and leave them in the shed out back, sitting on a pallet. No issues at all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Wrap them loosely with trash bags. You want them to breathe and not get moldy, but at the same time they're coated with a waxy preservative that will help.

+1 This is what I do with the tires I am not using for the Malibu. Never had any issues.

What are the date codes? Hopefully recent. Plenty of tires sit on dealer shelves or a warehouse for 6 months or more. So that equal the time before you install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back