I can't get Shell Rimula anymore :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all,

My local (and cheap) source for Shell Rimula R6M doesn't sell Shell products anymore (too bad, that was very practical). I used to buy the Rimula around 3,50€/L in bulk, to put in my diesel.
They replaced it by a distributor/unknown brand "Isotech" which offers a wide variety of oils, but I don't feel like trying it
sick.gif

Sure I can get Rimula online, but you have to buy big quantities (that's not really a problem), and prices are unfortunately not the same.

Can you point me to another oil suitable in my diesel (indirect prechamber injected, old school mechanical pump), that will resist fuel dilution and will not become like water within 3000Km? My next OC is due in ~1600Km
smile.gif

I was thinking Valvoline Maxlife 5W40 or 10W40 (better full synth?), what do you think ?

Thanks

Yep, or the Castrol equivalent, but I already looked into that and the problem is the same, too expensive and/or hard to get
frown.gif

Is Selenia WR good ? Expensive but I can get this one. Maybe better than Helix Ultra 5W40.

Selenia WR is very good, but it's not as good as SHU 5w40 (opinion based on spec). Both would be good for 1.9 TD, but not cost effective. To use them to a full potential you w ty need to do 15k km OCI. You cannot do that with your engine because of fuel dilution, and oil contamination in general.

Maxlife 10w40 and under 10k oci should be cheap enough. Pity you can't source HDDO any more.

Last edited:
SHU is sometime cheap when on sale, already tried it with mixed results, lot of noise.
Maybe it didn't resist fuel dilution, which I think is the main problem with this ageing engine, along with soot loading, especially since the boost has been slightly increased
smile.gif

I also changed my use of this car with more highway at high speed (for the car, 130-140Km/h), usually fully loaded, which is a bit challenging sometimes, and noticed some oil doesn't seem to cope that well (why? Turbo heat lol? More fuel dilution because of higher rpm?).
I usually change the oil at the 7500Km mark, maybe it's psychological but noise wise it is usually the point where engine start to become louder and louder, and the Rimula was good at keeping my ears happy for a long time
smile.gif

Maybe I'll settle with whatever 5W40 is on sale and call it a day? I really have the feeling the engine likes heavy oils, Total 5W40 is cheap and on the heavy side of grade 40. Or whatever bulk my boat shop offers with E4 or E7 cert ?

Edit: didn't see comment about Maxlife. Any interest over other oils cited?

Last edited:
http://www.motoroel100.de/epages/62593035.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62593035/Products/%22Total%205W-40%20Quartz%209000%20Energy%205L%22

free international shipping until 1/5/2016

Interesting prices, but can't get shipping outside Germany ???

Edit : Ok, found it
Quote:
no shipping international until 01.05.2016

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
Are we going back in time? 1/6/16 is long gone unless that meansx 6/1 since it's international

only in the US....

least significant to most significant is used elsewhere
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy
SHU is sometime cheap when on sale, already tried it with mixed results, lot of noise.
Maybe it didn't resist fuel dilution, which I think is the main problem with this ageing engine, along with soot loading, especially since the boost has been slightly increased
smile.gif

I also changed my use of this car with more highway at high speed (for the car, 130-140Km/h), usually fully loaded, which is a bit challenging sometimes, and noticed some oil doesn't seem to cope that well (why? Turbo heat lol? More fuel dilution because of higher rpm?).
I usually change the oil at the 7500Km mark, maybe it's psychological but noise wise it is usually the point where engine start to become louder and louder, and the Rimula was good at keeping my ears happy for a long time
smile.gif

Maybe I'll settle with whatever 5W40 is on sale and call it a day? I really have the feeling the engine likes heavy oils, Total 5W40 is cheap and on the heavy side of grade 40. Or whatever bulk my boat shop offers with E4 or E7 cert ?

Edit: didn't see comment about Maxlife. Any interest over other oils cited?

7.5k km would be reasonably long OCI for these motors IMO. Back in early 90s, when first introduced in Tipo, that was recommended OCI.
SHU is on a thinner side for 40 grade, with fuel dilution it gets even worse. Maxlife is good oil, I can tell you first hand it reduced oil consumption significantly in 2010 Kangoo 1.5 with over 400k. Completely different engine I know, but this one used C3 oils alot. Avoid 5w40 IMO here, unless it's HDDO.

OT,
In mid/late 90s friend had a Delta Mk1 TDS, and I had Tipo TD. Man, back then those cars were quick (for old diesels). We would play with Mk2/3 Golfs easily.

Edit; I've promised to report, you remember few months ago we discussed Syntrans Transaxle. After 20k Punto shifts like a dream. It took a while to set.

Last edited:
I thought the engine in the Tipo/Delta was a different one ? Mine is 1910cm3, Tipo/Delta engine is 1929cm3 (stroke/bore slightly different). Turbo is also different. I honestly think the 1929cm3 was a better engine, maybe less refined, but more "punchy" !

So no 5W40 (M1 Delvac 5W40 is like unicorn juice here). Well well well...
Maxlife 10W40 being semi-synth is maybe more likely to shear ? I've tried Selenia Turbo diesel 10W40, fantastic oil for 3000Km, after that, black water which left some black spots on the camshaft.

I've been eyeing Total quartz 10W50, synthetic, a light 50, any opinion? Relatively cheap here (cheaper than Maxlife in fact).

Edit : SyntransTransaxle is smooth in the Marea and Barchetta too
smile.gif
Barchetta gearbox is still a bit rougher than Marea's, I guess because it hasn't broke in yet
laugh.gif

Good to hear it suits these Fiat gearboxes^^

Last edited:
You are right, yours TD is actually JTD bottom, and bespoke head, intakes, turbo. Getting old I guess. And yes, old 1929 were better engines, you would have to settle with 400k.

You can get 10w50 Total for cheap? Stop looking!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much mileage my engine will resist, have the feeling it isn't very tough (alloy head). Currently still going strong, so I try to keep the car well maintained.

I was mistaken, Total 10W50 is 7,40€/L locally, and that's in fact exactly the price of the Maxlife 10W40 online (with free shipping above 50€). Total 5W40 is 4,60€ locally, even cheaper online (but shipping unknown for the moment). I know cause I spent like 1 hour yesterday looking for tools, parts and oil and discussing car things with a nice guy I know at a local car parts store, lol.
Almost buy some Yacco galaxie because of the red jug, the guy pushed me by offering a pretty nice discount (9.16€/L on 15W50 and 10W60), but that would just have been overkill. Apparently these Galaxie oils are moving really slow, judging by the quantity of dust over the jugs!

So Total 10W50 ? I was thinking cheaper, but after all 20 or 40€ + filter (~7€) for 7500Km won't make a difference over the few months of an OCI.

Make sure your thermostat and fan switch are working properly. Summer is coming.
Price for that 10w50 seems steep to me, but than again I'm cheap LOL.

How about TQ 10w40 or Yacco 10w40. Elf is cheap as peanuts over here too. Maybe easiest to obtain?

OT

Yep Thermostat (75°) is working properly (replaced it like 2 years ago), both water temp sensors are ok too, and the oil cooler thermostat is supposedly working properly (or stuck open, since oil cooler is very hot after some highway cruising).

Fan switch? It worked last time I did a coolant change, but you really have to want the fan running on this car! Like 2500rpm for a long time in a garage, until it finally kicks in on speed 1...than after a looong time speed 2. It is controlled by the calculator (my previous Marea which was 4 months older still had resistors and switch on the radiator itself), never heard the fan in real situation.
[/OT]

Total 10W40/Elf 10W40 or Yacco 10W40 (probably same product, three different packagings) just doesn't last, that's what I used in my pre-Bitog days
laugh.gif

Petronas Syntium 1000 looks good on VOA :
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=4&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/17116-petronas-syntium-1000-10w-40-svezhee/&usg=ALkJrhgSi14cdAbEn9pmx4AJCxW7cUGhAA

Also found Selenia 10W-40 Gold Synth, a synthetic 10W40? Haven't found anything on it. And Fuchs Titan SYN MC 10W-40, looks ordinary (I usually try to stay away from Fuchs products)

I would think Selenia TurboDiesel is a good starting point for you, as a original recommendation. Without a doubt most people would use it in a 1.9 TD.
I use WR , and it's holding good. I seldom go to 20k oci, but even then no excessive noise is present. But that's Mjtd so that means little to nothing regarding your Marea.
Everyone used Gold in Fire's before, before K superseded it. Can't see it being better than any we mentioned already. Sorry I'm not much of a help. Magnatec 10w40?

Last edited:
If,you think you have excessive oil dilution from fuel maybe check injectors. No oil can withstand lot of fuel. Only thing you can do is to fix injectors or severely cut OCIs. As for soot, contamination acidity control any B3/B4 should perform similarly.

Selenia Turbo diesel was really really good for the ears, made the engine sound different, but was so noisy very quick that I didn't think twice and put Rimula back wi thout even changing the filter. I guess after reading things about it that it sheard first then thickens back and is supposed to do that, but stil... Also had at least 3 formulation within last 18 years, was a 15W40 then 10W40 CD/SG, now CF api.

Sorry I'm hesitating like an old man about such futile topic, especially since the engine won't care lol... Now hesitating between WR which is a thick 5W40 ant TQ 10W50. Magnatec is overpriced, as are all Castrol engine oils here
frown.gif

Edit: 3 out of 4 injectors have been controlled ok when the valve adjustment was done. The 4th one is stuck in the fragile alloy head, won't touch it unless necessery!
Any way of testing fuel dilution, with a drop of oil on a card ?

Last edited:
Between WR and TQ I'd rather use TQ. More safety margin for share. No idea bout viscometer. Maybe some DIY?
Edit; just took a look for Rimula over here. Found it for 3.3 € per litre on few online shops.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back