2001 mercedes benz ml320 -15w40 ok?

so I just purchased a gently used 2001 Mercedes ml320 and I need an oil recommendation.

I have been told to use a synthetic x-40 and change it every 10k but I have about 20 litres of a CJ/SM 15w40.

Any problems using this and just reducing the OCI to about 6 months or 5000 miles?

thanks for any comments

I used to have one of those. Just stick to the spec'd 0W40. M1 has a rebate going on right now.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I used to have one of those. Just stick to the spec'd 0W40. M1 has a rebate going on right now.

He's in Canada, I don't think MOBIL 1 has the rebate available up here.

I used Chevron Delo 15W40 in my E430 once long time ago. If you like to use whatever 15W40 in your ML320 in summer then you need to change it out when the FSS went down to 5,000 miles from 10,000 miles, virtually reduce OCI by half. Also, since you're in Canada you should change to either M1 or Castrol Edge 0W40 for winter months.

Yeah, but it would be fine for spring/summer
smile.gif

What's the current spec of the oil you have? Not all brands meet MB specs. If the back of the bottle says MB-Approval 229.3, MB-Approval 229.5 or MB-Approval 229.51, you might be ok. Personally I would just go with the M1 0w40 as that meets MB 229.51.

You could... But back then there were issues with fsa intervals and conventional oils so it's prudent to go short OCI as you mention.

There are quite a few 15w-40 oils on the 229.1 sheet, but none and just a few 10w-40 on the 229.3 sheet.

I'd be ok with it but the M1 0w-40 is also a smart choice.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
so I just purchased a gently used 2001 Mercedes ml320 and I need an oil recommendation.

I have been told to use a synthetic x-40 and change it every 10k but I have about 20 litres of a CJ/SM 15w40.

Any problems using this and just reducing the OCI to about 6 months or 5000 miles?

thanks for any comments

Use Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 or anything that meets MB 229.3/229.5.
Your car requires MB 229.3 (outdated spec) and replacement spec is MB 229.5.
Although it is 2001 car, European manufacturers, especially BMW< MB, VW/Audi already required full synthetic oils.
Do not experiment with some substandard oils for that engine.

I'd have no problems using the 15W-40 during the warmer months while using something thinner during the winter.
This is, after all, a fifteen year old vehicle and who knows what oils it's seen on what drain intervals over its life?
This engine would in reality probably be perfectly fine on any decent 10W-30 year round.
It's not as though it has really high specific output.

so I changed the oil this weekend, the service records indicate the "flexible schedule" (up to 20K mile OCI) with synthetic mobil 1; was not impressed.

The oil filter housing was covered in varnish, I then called my mechanic (specializes in German cars) he said use the CJ/SM diesel 15w40 and change it every 4-6 months, he can reset the oil change nag screen on the car

It was his opinion that the CJ oils will clean the engine far better than a PCMO, the primary risk is poisoning the catalyst because the higher ash and detergent levels

will do an UOA in the summer when I change the oil

Which Mobil 1 was being used? Not all are the same.

so I changed the oil this weekend, the service records indicate the "flexible schedule" (up to 20K mile OCI) with synthetic mobil 1; was not impressed.

The oil filter housing was covered in varnish, I then called my mechanic (specializes in German cars) he said use the CJ/SM diesel 15w40 and change it every 4-6 months, he can reset the oil change nag screen on the car

It was his opinion that the CJ oils will clean the engine far better than a PCMO, the primary risk is poisoning the catalyst because the higher ash and detergent levels

CJ/SM? No Euro car manufacturers care about API specifications.
Mobil1 Synthetic? What Mobil1? For example primary reason why 1.8T engines in VW's failed was that people thought ANY synthetic is good! Most synthetics you will find in those 10min oil changes etc. are not on par with Euro spec. synthetics.
So, question is: what oil you put in?
Do not try to reinvent wheel! Put Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40! You WILL NOT find better oil on the shelf in local stores!
As for mechanic and his "thoery," ask him fallowing: did he work on development on that engine?

this is the oil in my engine, I guess it will die soon?

http://www.bosslubricants.com/BOSS DIESEL EXTREME CJ-4 SPECS.pdf

It is not whether oil will die or not, but whether it will create deposits on the engine, or sludge etc.
Dump whatever that oil is, go to whatever Canadian store carries Mobil1 0W40 and forget about it.
If there is no Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40 will do equally good, Castrol 0W30 or ANYTHING that carried MB 229.5 specification!

this is the oil in my engine, I guess it will die soon?

http://www.bosslubricants.com/BOSS DIESEL EXTREME CJ-4 SPECS.pdf

It is not whether oil will die or not, but whether it will create deposits on the engine, or sludge etc.
Dump whatever that oil is, go to whatever Canadian store carries Mobil1 0W40 and forget about it.
If there is no Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40 will do equally good, Castrol 0W30 or ANYTHING that carried MB 229.5 specification!
just a long term update, 50, 000 km on diesel rated 15w40, no oil consumption and a spotless oil filter housing

API approvals were also acceptable

by the way this viscosity and up to 20w50 was approved by MBUSA, here is a copy of the service manual

thanks for any comments

Use Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 or anything that meets MB 229.3/229.5.
Your car requires MB 229.3 (outdated spec) and replacement spec is MB 229.5.
Although it is 2001 car, European manufacturers, especially BMW< MB, VW/Audi already required full synthetic oils.
Do not experiment with some substandard oils for that engine.
My daughters 99 ml320 has over 230k miles and has always had Mobil 1 5-40 or 0-40 every 5-7k miles. Still running great.

What's the deal with Mobil 1 0w40? Everyone on Mercedes forums says it's the best and you have to use this oil in 90's Mercedes gas engines (M111, M104, M119, M112, M113) but i can tell you nobody uses that stuff in europe, the popular choice is whatever 10w40 or 5w40 with the MB229.3 or 229.5 approval, far cheaper than a 0w40 that serves no purpose in most climates. These oils are suited for diesels as well, no need to bother with HDEO. The factory fill was dino 15w40 up until 1997 when FSS came out and they switched to 5w40 synthetic.

Back