Cartridge oil filter installation /vs spin on type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I own a vehicle with a cartridge filter I like them a lot. Easy to service and I can see exactly what's going on with the filter without having to cut it open. They're a little easier on the environment too.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I'd like to see cartridge oil filters go extinct. I absolutely hate them.
lol.gif

I don't think cartridges are going extinct, but I don't think spin on filters are going away any time soon either.

When I had cars that used a cartridge filter, I put a small samarium-cobalt magnet (REALLY strong magnet good to 300°C) in the region near the filter. Every oil change, I was able to pull that magnet, wipe the very fine iron filing fuzz off the magnet, and reinstall.

Very much an oil geek thing to do. Since all my cars now have spin-on filters, I kind of miss this...

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
My first Toyota was a 1967 Corona sedan with the 3R four cylinder engine. It used a cartridge oil filter.What goes around comes around.

I had the same vehicle too. I really did like the filter set up on that engine. A bit messy the first few times but I got used to it and wish we could have more vehicles with that system.

More recently I did an oil change on a vehicle that had the cartridge system rather than a spin on. It reminded me of the Toyota set up. I like it better than the spin on. Just me though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Ecotec cartridges are very easy to change.

Too bad cartridges cost more than spin-ons, and for less materials

I'm using FU in my Ecotec (XG9018. Cost just under $6 ea on Ebay. AC Delco
PF457G's are well under $5....if you shop a bit.

All of my cars in recent memory have had cartridge filters. I prefer them. You get to see the filter, get to use a socket, and they're normally way easier to get to.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
All of my cars in recent memory have had cartridge filters. I prefer them. You get to see the filter, get to use a socket, and they're normally way easier to get to.

All of my BMWs have cartridge filters- dead simple to change and not messy at all if you unscrew the cap and let it drain for a few minutes(I usually do it before I pull the drain plug).
The only cartridge filter I found to be a pain was the setup on my Mazdaspeed 3, which was accessed from below the car.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

All of my BMWs have cartridge filters- dead simple to change and not messy at all if you unscrew the cap and let it drain for a few minutes(I usually do it before I pull the drain plug).
The only cartridge filter I found to be a pain was the setup on my Mazdaspeed 3, which was accessed from below the car.

Agree. This is the right way to do. Unscrew the filter holder first before doing the oil(with a fluid extractor or drain plug).

MCompact, you have some older BMW's with oil dipstick tube, why don't you try a fluid extractor to do oil change ?

I can't speak for him, but for me it is rarely because an oil change is the only thing due. Normally I crack the filter housing and pull the drain plug then let it drain while I clean my snow screens, rotate my tires, clean my sunroof drains, clean my wife's cowl of pine straw, check the suspension, make coding changes, etc.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Agree. This is the right way to do. Unscrew the filter holder first before doing the oil(with a fluid extractor or drain plug).

MCompact, you have some older BMW's with oil dipstick tube, why don't you try a fluid extractor to do oil change ?

The X3 doesn't need to be raised and I can get at the ti's plug by lifting on the RF jack pad and putting a block of 4x4 under the RF tire. I did use an extractor on my wife's E39 528i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back