Briggs&Stratton 700 series Dov

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a pretty good deal on a local bid wars site on a Husqvarna self propelled mower with the 161cc DOV B&S mower with ready start. Only 3 years old and barely used, looks basically brand new. I bought it last year at the end of the season after purchasing a house. The lady switched her lawn over to fake grass so she had no more use for it.

I drained the fuel and changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w30 before storing it. I pulled it out a couple weeks ago and threw some fuel in and it started the first pull. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with these newer DOV motors? Seems to run very nicely and certainly starts much easier then some older mowers I've used in the past.

Is there any reason to run premium fuel in this to avoid having ethanol in the fuel?

Any other things I should be doing with this before starting the mowing season?

Thanks

Last edited:
The best thing you could do for your new mower is pick up a Mr. Funnel. The 2nd size up is plenty big enough. I'm impressed with mine. Got a Gmail account ? Post your Gmail address along with the engine numbers and I'll send you a service manual.

As far as the DOV, I remember some weirdness with the early engines, and a delay in their wide scale introduction.

If you are going to use it regularly, and use fresh gas in it, 10% ethanol fuel is fine. End of season, either use some non ethanol gas for your last mow of the season, or drain it. Whatever is easier on your carb gaskets and O-rings.

So question, is there an easy way to tell if it's at that right rpm range? I had played with the tension on the governer spring out of curiosity one day and not sure exactly where it was at before as it's just a little bar that moves back and forth. It sounds about right and doesn't pop of sputter

The easiest way to set the RPM is to use a Tachometer or a calibrated ear.

Why haven't you sent me your Gmail address ? You afraid I'm gonna steal your identity ?

At least post the engine numbers; that way I can steal the identity of your engine.
lol.gif

That engine is pretty rare in the USA. I'm not sure why Briggs didn't put it out into wide circulation. Maybe it cost more than other engines, I'm not sure.

At any rate, I did own that engine on a Snapper mower. It ran excellent and had a lot of power for a 161cc engine. I'm a big fan of the DOV engine after running it for a couple of seasons. I gave that mower to my father in law when he needed a new mower and it's still doing good.

Here is a good video with information on that engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1ax4MzCA0

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
So question, is there an easy way to tell if it's at that right rpm range? I had played with the tension on the governer spring out of curiosity one day and not sure exactly where it was at before as it's just a little bar that moves back and forth. It sounds about right and doesn't pop of sputter

Just from the video it sounds like it is running in the proper RPM range. Only way to tell exactly would be to use a Tach. It sounds like it is at 3000 RPM or so which is adequate for a mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back