HDEO Oil recommendations for 2014 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ford spec was NEVER predicated on 5k mile OCIs. The EB engines in this application have always had an IOLM. So that is an inaccurate statement for sure.

Some have made statements that this engine has an issue with the "bottom end". Evidence please; post up supporting facts and credible data. I don't want to hear, nor accept, hearsay in this regard. If the EB has a problem with the bottom end, then where's the proof?

I have never seen this engine spec'd for 5w-20; where is the basis for that statement quoted above?

You all focus to much on inputs and not enough on results. You confuse correlation with causation.

I once tried to organize a study for this engine series, but the fear-mongering and complete lack of consistent approach made it impossible.

Most of you will never learn.

If you want proof of problems do an internet search and find them for yourself. Not hard to find.

Same with the 5w20 spec.

Remember these engines didn't start in the f150.

If you are looking to be spoon fed information,you are talking to the wrong guy. If you don't believe me, take it upon yourself to prove it to yourself. The info is out there, just because you haven't heard about it just proves you haven't been paying attention.

That's not a dig, maybe the ecoboost isn't of particular interest to you, that's fine. But I HAVE been following the ecoboost's performance since 2011. Leaving you with the choice of either taking my word for it or doing you own research to your own satisfaction.

Either way, the onus is on you, not me.

Last edited:
This quote came from the ecoboost forum (Just be aware that the cam phasers work on oil pressure Any prolonged deviation in the viscosity could cause them to act improperly, and eventually throw a CEL) any thoughts?

I would stick with the recommended oil. I would want to maintain my warranty status as long as possible.
If you are worried about fuel dilution do 5k changes and or use UOA to determine what works for you in your situation.

I have been following the engine for a while now.
I have not seen any issues with the lower end mentioned in the truck version.
There is the timing chain issue... as far as I have seen the exact cause has not been determined.
The last TSB does replace the chain and cam phasers.

As shown by UOA, Magnatec 5/30, FL500s is working well for me in my situation... I do not anticipate any early wear issues.

I am a huge fan of Rotella products. Used the 15/40 in my 7.3 (304k) and my 6.7.
Great results on both. The 15/40 out performed T5 and T6 in my 6.7.

Originally Posted By: meborder
What the hey, I'll throw you a bone to get you started, just because that's the kind of guy I am.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10mksog2e.pdf

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10tauog3e.pdf

as for the rest of it, you can do your own homework, just like I did.

I don't mind asking for clear, direct evidence. I don't mind providing credible sources when I make claims.

You, sir, have NOT stuck on topic. We are speaking of the EB in the TRUCK, not the cars. To the best of my knowledge, the EB in the trucks never was spec'd for 5w-20. And if you go back and read my previous post thoroughly, you'd see I specifically stated "in this application" .... Every post I make should not need a legal disclaimer preceding and following each statement ...

The EB was not in the 2010 F-150 truck:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10f12og3e.pdf
The EB showed up in the 2011 F-150:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11f12og3e.pdf
Page 415 clearly shows it's inaugural year having 5w-30 spec.

Further, regarding the claim of bottom end issues, after 10 minutes of searching, I can find no credible, distinct evidence of a wide ranging issue; actually none at all. So again, I ask, if you have proof, then post it up. Otherwise I'm going to write you off as a non-event. I never said the EBs didn't have issues. I asked, when it was stated that the EBs have "bottom end" issues, for some link to proof. At this point, after much searching, I see no specific credible evidence of any significant issue.

Here is probably a fairly credible source:
http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2013/ford/f-150/engine/problem.aspx
As you can see, there are "engine issues", but they have NOTHING to do with the bottom end. I suspect most of these are related to electronic control issues. And in the vain of the topic of lubes, oils don't have much effect on electronic problems ...

So, again, I ask if anyone has CREDIBLE evidence that bottom end issues are in the EB truck motors, or if anything other than 5w-30 was ever spec'd for the truck EB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I have never seen this engine spec'd for 5w-20; where is the basis for that statement quoted above?

accuse me of going off topic when I addressed your question specifically. classy.

it's the same engine, bucko. no internal changes were made between 2010 and 2011 when they changed the spec from 5w20 to 5w30 for the f150 and, AFAIK, all the other applications as well.

the problems with the bottom end manifest in the timing chain noise. yes, there is a TSB that allows for the replacement of the timing chain and tensioners, however the noise quickly returns for those that have had the work done.

its a very short path from noisy tensioners to main bearings, and there have seen reports of engines torn down with noisy tensioners that revealed excessively worn main bearings.

go ahead and write me off as a "non-event." Trust me, I'll lose no sleep; my 2-week old daughter is doing that part of your job for you. between building an 8-million dollar interchange, a 3-year old, and a 2-week old, and 2-3 hours of sleep, I don't have the friggin' time to look up stuff I read god-knows-how-long ago.

I generally just come here to learn and relax. Rest assured, from this point forward, this "non-event" will refrain from trying to add anything to a thread in which you are involved; there appears to be no room for any others to contribute without posting a page full of citations.

boo-friggin'-who, you couldn't find anything in 10 minutes of searching. how 'bout TRYING first, then complaining. I can't even find my car keys in less than 10 minutes, let alone the information you seek.

good day sir

Last edited:
There was never an EB engine option in the 2010 F-150 trucks, per the Ford owner's manual I linked above. See page 399 and past that; they were all mod-motors for 2010. The 2011 F-150 owner's manual does show the EB option; it was spec'd for 5w-30 from the get-go in the trucks. If you believe the 2010 F150 had an EB, please show me documentation from Ford that supports such a claim.

In the BITOG thread you cite, I don't see where mentions what vehicle he's putting the reman engine into, but it's likely a CAR and not a TRUCK. Which is off-topic from this thread.

The early EB engines in cars (Taurus, Flex, etc) were spec'd for either 5w-20 or 5w-30. Ford not only changed the oil spec in 2011, but also changed the timing gear design, if I read that thread correctly. So for changed BOTH the timing set and oil spec for 2011. Hence, the 2011 F150 was the first year for the EB in the truck chassis, and has always been spec'd for 5w-30.

In fact, Ford allowed for (owner's choice) either 5w-30 or 5w-20 in the Flex EB engine; see this manual page 382:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10flxog2e.pdf
The EB 3.5L specification allows either grade!

But the 2010 Taurus shows only 5w-20 for both the 3.5L NA engine and 3.5L EB (SHO model) engine:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/10tauog3e.pdf
page 372, does not even distinguish oil selection for either engine, they just state it as "engine oil" with no differentiation between turbo and non-turbo engines!

So, if we want to be precise, it is accurate to state this:
At times, the EB was spec'd for 5w-20, 5w-20 OR 5w-30, or 5w-30, all depending upon year and vehicle model.

In this thread, I was sticking to the F150 EB engines, and those have ALWAYS been spec'd for 5w-30 since their introduction into the trucks in 2011.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

In the BITOG thread you cite, I don't see where mentions what vehicle he's putting the reman engine into, but it's likely a CAR and not a TRUCK. Which is off-topic from this thread.

The early EB engines in cars (Taurus, Flex, etc) were spec'd for either 5w-20 or 5w-30. Ford not only changed the oil spec in 2011, but also changed the timing gear design, if I read that thread correctly. So for changed BOTH the timing set and oil spec for 2011. Hence, the 2011 F150 was the first year for the EB in the truck chassis, and has always been spec'd for 5w-30.

I stand corrected. There is no mention of this being an F-150 Ecoboost, only that it's a 2010 3.5L Ecoboost, and as 2011 was the first year for this engine in an F-150, said platform received both, the new oil spec and timing chain gear design.

I know I am necro-ing this thread but I wanted to see what the OP ended up doing. Seems to me if he wants to use an HDEO , Delo 400 LE 5W-30 would be a good choice as it is dual rated and should pass warranty muster.

There's no real benefit to running a 5w-40 in an engine that calls for 5w-30. I'd just stick with the M1 and call it a day. Only real difference you'll notice is a drop in gas mileage probably. If you have to run Rotella, I'd just go with the T5 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back