SuperTech SAE 30 lawnmower oil SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my local Walmart today, and for the first time I saw the SuperTech lawnmower oil for sale. They had SAE 30 in 20 ounce and 48 ounce, and they had the 10W-30 in 20 ounce. The SAE 30 20 ounce was $1.67 each, and the 48 ounce was $5.6x. I bought the SAE 30 twenty ounce bottle. Back of the bottle says the oil is SJ/CF. This is the first year I have seen this oil in my local store. Can't find it on their website either for sale. It's in my Honda self propelled now.

I would think the passenger car 10w30 would be higher quality, especially if we compare it to Rotella T5 10w30, but it's good to have options.

I just worry they are limiting the additives because of the SJ rating and not adding them like they should. With SJ we can have higher zddp, but are they using it or not?

Strange, isn't it, since my genset, Honda mower and snow thrower
all specify multigrade automotive oil. So they all get T6.

Right now Super Tech 10w30 oil quart bottles is on rollback for $2.04. That is a better deal and better oil than that lawn mower oil which would come to like $2.67 a quart.

My personal guess is the oil is the same as the qt super tech just a different size
If the spec reads the same. The good thing about it is when they use the whole bottle. Their mower will only be over filled by an ounce or 2 rather than like 12 oz if they bought the quart.

To NH73

Its not a better deal if they use the whole quart and after mowing half the yard it dies wont restart and they leave it on the curb for free after buying a new mower.
If "I" get the mower off the curb then its all good. I just drain the super clean oil to the proper level, then run it untill it is smooth, wash it, sharpen the blade and sell it on craigslist. Did that to a neighbors mower last year. Not next door about 10 doors down.

Last edited:
Honda%20oil.png

It's starting to get hot around here, so SAE 30 SJ rated oil should be good to go for my Honda mower. The SuperTech lawnmower oil is not the same as SuperTech HD30 becasue that oil is SN from what I saw on the quart bottle. It could have been SM...not absolutely sure because my eyes are old.

Just a little more information from the bottle. Did not see any API service symbols.

"Specially formulated for 4-Cycle engines" is on the front of the bottle. On the back of the bottle is "Specially Compounded and approved for warm weather use between 40F and 100F+."

It is made by Warren, and here is the MSDS.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Honda%20oil.png

It's starting to get hot around here, so SAE 30 SJ rated oil should be good to go for my Honda mower. The SuperTech lawnmower oil is not the same as SuperTech HD30 becasue that oil is SN from what I saw on the quart bottle. It could have been SM...not absolu

It's clear from that chart that Honda approves of multigrade automotive oil of SJ OR BETTER, as well as straight 30. A multigrade synthetic will make for easier starting in cooler weather. I'd say "special" single grade "mower oil" is just marketing.

Last edited:
My guess is SO would have a larger dose of zinc, which would be good for air cooled OPE. Having said that, I'd still pick a good diesel 15w40 gallon, and call it good.

Originally Posted By: pdxglocker9mm
To NH73

Its not a better deal if they use the whole quart and after mowing half the yard it dies wont restart and they leave it on the curb for free after buying a new mower.
If "I" get the mower off the curb then its all good. I just drain the super clean oil to the proper level, then run it untill it is smooth, wash it, sharpen the blade and sell it on craigslist. Did that to a neighbors mower last year. Not next door about 10 doors down.

Still a better deal. If a person does that, them they shouldn't be buying oil at all.

I said to the heck with it, and drained the SuperTech, and filled it with Pennzoil SAE 30 that's rated SN. Back of the Pennzoil bottle does say can be used in small 4-cycle engines like mowers and such. Checked the Pennzoil product data sheet, and it has a viscosity index of 105. Going to run the straight 30 during the heat, and back to the Pennzoil 10W-30 when it gets cooler because I am still bagging leaves in December when it's cold. I have more faith in the Pennzoil!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I said to the heck with it, and drained the SuperTech, and filled it with Pennzoil SAE 30 that's rated SN. Back of the Pennzoil bottle does say can be used in small 4-cycle engines like mowers and such. Checked the Pennzoil product data sheet, and it has a viscosity index of 105. Going to run the straight 30 during the heat, and back to the Pennzoil 10W-30 when it gets cooler because I am still bagging leaves in December when it's cold. I have more faith in the Pennzoil!

I'd just run the 10w30 year round don't think you're gaining anything really going to the straight 30.

I use about 5 gallons (a quart at a time) of Super Tech HD 30 a week in the spring and summer for tune ups. Just as good as anything else out there for a single cylinder four stroke that's going to burn (at least a little) oil anyway. Always go with manufacturer on Honda engines in case of warranty work being required later...10W-30. I find that 10W-30 burns faster in small engines though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I didn't know SuperTech came in a 20 ounce bottle. That would save me from measuring.
smile.gif

It's a new product that showed up in my Wal-Mart within the past month.

Pictures of the offending product:

48 ounce bottle of SAE30 lawn mower oil
larger_sae30.jpg

20 ounce bottles of 10W30 and SAE30 lawn mower oil
front_small_jugs.jpg

Meets SJ/CF specifications.
back_larger_jug.jpg

Alright, who is going to volunteer to send in a sample for VOA?

Yes that's it. Thanks for the pictures!

Went by my local hardware that is a dealer for Kohler, Stihl, Echo, Snapper, and etc., and they stock the Kohler 10W-30 and Kohler SAE 30 oil. I asked the parts guy who made it, and he said Warren in Dunn, NC. They had the quart bottles priced at $4.39 each. I am thinking that the Kohler and Walmart oil could possibly be the same oil. The Kohler oil does have a lot more claimed certifications including some mil specs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back