2002 Silverado 5.3 Alignment 294k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with 294k miles.
We are the original owners.

Took advantage of a Chevrolet Dealer Coupon for a Front Alignment ($49).
Most places out here in California charge anywhere from $79 to $90.

After about a half hour the service manager walked over to where I was sitting and asked if an alignment had ever been done on the truck.

I told the manager that we took in the truck 7 years ago to BrkMstrs and paid for one.
If I remember correctly, BrkMstrs charged me for the alignment but I could not remember if the truck actually needed one.

According to the Chevy Dealer, an alignment has never been performed on my truck because they explained that some type of hardware from factory has to be removed when an alignment is performed.

The tech saw the something while he was aligning that indicated that our truck has never ever had an alignment.

Now, I can remember where I placed the paperwork (invoices) from BrkMstrs but it would be interesting to see if BrkMast actually performed the alignment 7 years ago.

I guess I might have paid for an alignment many years back but the shop might have told me that the results were within spec and then I drove off.

My question is the following:

What did the tech see that made him believe that our truck has never had an alignment?

you may of had an alignment yrs ago but all they prob did as adjust toe. what he is talking about it the plastic pieces in the upper control arms where you adjust camber and caster have not been touched since being rolled off the factory floor. its common to still have them in there and they are luckey of they get them to move. i cant tell you how many times i've aligned a gm truck and the cams are frozen.

Last edited:
Not sure the answer to your question but I always ask for before and after alignment readings to help insure they don't take the easy way out. Also have had best luck at the dealer versus the tire chain type place.

There is a piece of plastic in each of the camcentric bolts that adjust castor and camber. They must be removed to adjust the front suspension. I would replace some of the worn components before trying to align it or you'll just be wasting time and money on alignments.

You can break those off by tapping them with a small prybar.

Those plastic things are there to line the truck up from the factory, but eventually if caster or camber needs to be adjusted, you have to break those plastic things off.

If camber and caster is still okay, there is no need to remove those plastic things. Toe can be adjusted at any time without doing anything to the plastic things.

I have a hard time believing you can go over 100K without needing some kind of caster or camber adjustment.

Do you have a before and after picture of the alignment? If caster and camber are where they belong, then it doesn't matter of those plastic things are there or not. If camber or caster is wrong, someone tried to get away with not doing 100% of his job.

I will check my records and review the specs or notes for the last alignment performed.

Last tires lasted 85k miles.

I replaced the hub wheel bearing assembly on both sides (front) but don't recall removing anything near those alignment tabs.

Will check records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back